Lee Flat - March 2022

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
It was a quick decision to take off on a short trip. We are so incredibly lucky to have so many options for adventure and exploration fairly close by. The vast Death Valley region called to us. We heeded that call. Our story and photos are now posted to our blog and you may find it here -

Lee Flat - March 2022

Please enjoy tagging along! :)

Thanks for the trip.The Joshua tree forest is very interesting.We have only seen a forest like that
in the southern part of the Sierra's on the road around Lake Isabella.They are a strange tree
to see as a forest.
Wow the F117 sure don't see them often,cool plane.
Enjoyed the latest trip.Thanks.
Frank

In summit photo, you guys do look cold but positively ecstatic at Julie’s return to full spec. Thanks for dragging us along. This might be a great year for exploring again.

Paul

Another Home Run for the Ski 3-Pins! Special congratulations to The Lady for such a strong return from the wheel recapping exercises of last year.
You know you can always get the attention of a reformed geologist with an awesome photo of a fault or fold. And I like the small area of relatively undisturbed butte in the left-center of the photo. So I suppose the photo was taken from the summit of Galena Peak looking towards Lippincott Rd which appears in the lower right? I'd enjoy doing some Intertubes research on that (those) structures--surely the fault is a named major feature, and the small buttes tllted slightly down to the left are probably in the literature, as well.

Foy

Monte, thanks for the invite for the vicarious tag along. We enjoyed seeing the country with you and Julie! So good that Julie’s knee ones are back to specifications. :)

Foy said:
Another Home Run for the Ski 3-Pins! Special congratulations to The Lady for such a strong return from the wheel recapping exercises of last year.
You know you can always get the attention of a reformed geologist with an awesome photo of a fault or fold. And I like the small area of relatively undisturbed butte in the left-center of the photo. So I suppose the photo was taken from the summit of Galena Peak looking towards Lippincott Rd which appears in the lower right? I'd enjoy doing some Intertubes research on that (those) structures--surely the fault is a named major feature, and the small buttes tllted slightly down to the left are probably in the literature, as well.

Foy
Yup, the photo is from the summit of Galena. In the center of the photo, right along the fault in the vertical strata, is the near mile long straight section of Corridor Canyon, a fascinating spot in DVNP.

DVNP-Nov2014-146-copy.jpg

If this is aligned with a fault, this may explain why the rock was more easily eroded, forming this incredible section of canyon.

Here's our visit in November 2014 - Corridor Canyon

and Jim Boone's description of the hike - Corridor Canyon.

Here's the coordinates to take to Google Earth - 36°44.810'N 117°37.006'W

And Foy, thanks for the great commentary! :)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Thanks for the trip.The Joshua tree forest is very interesting.We have only seen a forest like that
in the southern part of the Sierra's on the road around Lake Isabella.They are a strange tree
to see as a forest.
Wow the F117 sure don't see them often,cool plane.
Enjoyed the latest trip.Thanks.
Frank
Thanks Frank! Joshua Trees and stealth fighter jets was a great combination! :)

Occidental said:
Very nice trip, thanks for posting. I love the single leaf pinyon, any day spent with those is a good one, and stellar views to boot.
Occidental, thanks for the nice comment! Yup, we love the pinyon. :)

PaulT said:
In summit photo, you guys do look cold but positively ecstatic at Julie’s return to full spec. Thanks for dragging us along. This might be a great year for exploring again.

Paul
Julie's worked so hard to get good results from the knee replacements. To watch her make a non stop 1500 vertical feet steep descent without stopping and pain free is pretty darn phenomenal. Yup, pretty ecstatic. Thanks Paul! :)

Lighthawk said:
Dang! You two keep hitting it out of the park for us.
That's our favorite tub too. Re-tirement is calling me...
Thanks Andy! It was great to find that tub available. Answer that call. Answer that call! :)

rubberlegs said:
Ain’t Galena Peak a dandy place?
It sure is rubberlegs! And, you know there's another peak out there I'm hearing "Can we? Can we?" over and over. :)

Perhaps we'll get a chance to do it. :)

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Monte, thanks for the invite for the vicarious tag along. We enjoyed seeing the country with you and Julie! So good that Julie’s knee ones are back to specifications. :)
You are most welcome, Mr. Sage!

ski3pin said:

If this is aligned with a fault, this may explain why the rock was more easily eroded, forming this incredible section of canyon.

Here's our visit in November 2014 - Corridor Canyon

and Jim Boone's description of the hike - Corridor Canyon.

Here's the coordinates to take to Google Earth - 36°44.810'N 117°37.006'W

And Foy, thanks for the great commentary! :)

Great, now I have something new to obsess on while I'm supposed to be collecting tax revenue for the Federal Gummint.

At first blush, looks like Corridor Canyon is in the neighborhood of Mosaic Canyon, already on my bucket list thanks to you and The Lady.

I'm going to have to freakin' move to DV and just live there for a decade or two. And it's all y'all's fault--pun intended!

Foy

What a great trip. No library near me has a copy of Hiking Western DVNP, I may have to invest in one.

Back
Top Bottom