lessons learned after a few years of use

If you want the better service/reliability of a PLB but want to contact your family to let them know you're OK via text messages, look into this:

http://www.406link.com/how-it-works.aspx

I personally don't feel the need to let people know I'm OK when I'm out on my hunting trips. My wife trusts me and knows if I run into an issue I can pull my PLB out in an emergency.

I have used the SPOT, In REACH and Sat Phone.

The "simple" spots work fine. The one that pairs with my iPhone was a disaster.

InReach is bullet proof, but battery life is not great (gen I, I hear they got better).

I now have a sat phone with GPS. Works like a dream.

Still need to get a Spot/PLB.

Great picture and checklist. Just this past weekend the other guy with a FWC, an Eagle, lost a turnbuckle.

Good list.

I drain the hot water tank into the main tank for travel. No use having 45lbs sitting high up on the already too heavy driver's side. Now it is sitting front, center and low.

Great Post and great information. Definitely printing this out!

Hey Don, since you camp by yourself as I sometimes do, do you carry a "SPOT" ?
www.findmespot.com.

Check it out. My wife can even see my progress off-road and doesn't worry about me having a medical emergency

I do carry a Spot. Had one since v1. Do a ping each night, when I remember... I seldom carry a cell phone when I'm out. They don't work most places I go, and if they did, I'm trying to get away from them anyway.

Although my family tells me to act my age, I still do a lot of solo adventures. My hard climbing is behind me but I enjoy soloing easy 5th class routes on peaks in the Sierra, 200+ mile hikes, 500 mile kayak trip on the Yukon River, etc. My family appreciates a periodic check-in.

Back
Top Bottom