Leveling blocks?

Bjammin

Advanced Member
I was wondering what folks use to level campers on uneven ground. I've got a couple of old 2 by 6 boards, but they really only work in one and a half inch increments. There must be a better way.

I’ve used Lynx Levelers for the past 20+ years.
Simple, durable and lightweight.

I use 2x10s which are about 2 ft long, I beveled one edge and glued 1/4 ext plywood to top surface, to prevent splitting. I also carry a number of 2x4s. Therefore I can use just the 2x10 for an 1 1/2 rise, or place the 2x10 as a ramp on the 2x4, thereby having a 1 1/2" ramp up to 3", place two 2x4s and your ramp goes from 1 1/2" to 4 1/2". I think you get the idea.
Without the plywood the ramps will eventual crack, they still crack with the plywood but don't fall apart.

I just use whats around where I am camping....don't mind a little uphill for pillows.
We sleep crossways one up and one down.

David Graves

I use 2x6's , 2-20" long and 2-16" long. just stack them as needed with a 4" gap at the end to create steps. If I need more height a rock or chunk of firewood usually does the trick. I also have a couple of short 4x6s I use for my floor jack that could be used if there's nothing else around.

I try to use what's on site, rocks, firewood, branches etc. But also carry various lengths of 1" plywood cut 11" wide x 8,10,12 etc. I found that 2x s can split, at least the lumber I've used. And the ply makes a great jack base when off pavement and jack stand base at home on grass.

Always like to chock a wheel or two when using a tall leveler, I guess 'cause it's never really level :ninja: Some folks carry a bubble level for precision, adjust tire pressure etc.

I use the yellow 'lego' blocks. Pack more compactly and are much lighter than the 2X6s I used before.

JaSAn said:
I use the yellow 'lego' blocks. Pack more compactly and are much lighter than the 2X6s I used before.
I use these also, but carry several boards to go on the ground to reduce the damage caused by rocks on the bottom unit. A board also reduces the bottom one’s tendency to sink into soft earth.

Paul

klahanie said:
I try to use what's on site, rocks, firewood, branches etc. But also carry various lengths of 1" plywood cut 11" wide x 8,10,12 etc. I found that 2x s can split, at least the lumber I've used. And the ply makes a great jack base when off pavement and jack stand base at home on grass.

Always like to chock a wheel or two when using a tall leveler, I guess 'cause it's never really level :ninja: Some folks carry a bubble level for precision, adjust tire pressure etc.
The trick to using 2X lumber is to screw two pieces together with the grain at right angles. That way they really can't split under any REASONABLE amount of weight.

The thing I use most to level is a short square nose shovel. Generally, when camping on sand or dirt, it's much easier to dig a shallow hole for 1 or two wheels. If you dig too deep, you can always fill it back in a little. I do carry a couple of 18" long 2 x 6 pieces for hard surfaces, or use rocks.

I usually go with the yellow leveling blocks first. I've also used my Maxtrax for leveling, and will adjust my airbag pressure from side to side to help level out as well.

Back
Top Bottom