Lifetime Tent Trailer

johnnyb

Hi,
My wife and I are thinking of buying a Lifetime tent trailer from Costco to tow behind our Wrangler. Has anyone here had any experiance with these? We are just starting to Wander/Overland and thought this might be a good entry level tent trailer.
Thanks

What type of wrangler do you have? I had a 2004 TJ (2 door) and even a small teardrop trailer would move the wrangler around in the wind. Tail waging the dog in a manner of speaking. If you have a 4 door then you should be fine.

I'm not to concerned about the Wrangler(TJ) towing it. I was wondering if anyone had messed with the Lifetime trailers. Thanks

Just checked it out at Costco and Amazon sites. Interesting,but how long does it take to setup.
About 7 years ago being tired of sleeping on the ground,we bought a Kamperoo. They are made in Canada now.
They are just a very well made trailer that is the size of a queen size bed.
The whole trailed is just the bed,than it folds out to make a tent that is barn shaped.
Only takes a few seconds to setup. The down side is that even though there is a "room" the same size as the trailer you need to store most everything in the car/suv.
I towed this with a Escape Hybrid and it was great.
I only had it for 2 years,went a lot of places with it but after a very cold and rain/snowy trip to Yellowstone we said there has to be a better idea.
Along came the ATC Bobcat pop up. And the rest is history.
We sold the trailer actually 5 years ago this weekend and ordered a ATC Bobcat. Love the camper.
Frank

Attachments

• markleeville oct 07 001.jpg
    markleeville oct 07 001.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 380
  • markleeville oct 07 006.jpg
    markleeville oct 07 006.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 336
  • markleeville oct 07 007.jpg
    markleeville oct 07 007.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 288
The problem I have with these, and tent trailers in general, isn't so much the set up and take down, but all the gear that has to be loaded and unloaded every time you move. It may be okay if you are a minimalist, but when we were camping with 3 kids and a dog, it took an hour just to pack everything to the point where I could fold up the tent trailer. I looked at a similar product as a way to carry a quad, but in the end realized what a hassle it would be to unload quad every time I wanted to pitch the tent. And then I'd have to make the bed, etc. At least with a popup camper, everything can be stowed and it doesn't have to fit like a game of Tetris to drop the top.

My personal opinion, I would consider a teardrop before this. However, a teardrop doesn't provide standing room or 2 beds. And this does look simple enough that it could handle a dirt road without rattling the cabinetry to pieces.

Espresso said:
The problem I have with these, and tent trailers in general, isn't so much the set up and take down, but all the gear that has to be loaded and unloaded every time you move. It may be okay if you are a minimalist, but when we were camping with 3 kids and a dog, it took an hour just to pack everything to the point where I could fold up the tent trailer. I looked at a similar product as a way to carry a quad, but in the end realized what a hassle it would be to unload quad every time I wanted to pitch the tent. And then I'd have to make the bed, etc. At least with a popup camper, everything can be stowed and it doesn't have to fit like a game of Tetris to drop the top.

My personal opinion, I would consider a teardrop before this. However, a teardrop doesn't provide standing room or 2 beds. And this does look simple enough that it could handle a dirt road without rattling the cabinetry to pieces.
For the 2 years we had this trailer we did enjoy it.
Easy to set up,but you have a great point all the gear must be carried in the tow car/suv.
Than there is the animal problem.All food MUST be stored out of site and that can be a problem.
Also is the weather issue. Everything needs to be done outside,cooking and such.
The best use I saw for my trailer was as a base site for hunters. And that's what the person who bought it from me was using it for.
He is a big time elk hunter and this worked for him and his group. It also worked great on back country roads.

We enjoy our ATC Bobcat so much, with organizing it is very useful. But it also has limits.It's just the two of us so that's not a problem. Add a kid or dog or two and things change.

Plus I don't like to tow,it's another set of wheels one needs to think about.

Frank

Thank you all for the feedback, it is much appreciated. I was thinking aboout the loading and unloading issue also. Wish I could swing by Meadow Lake this weekend and check out some of the rigs. Thanks again

johnnyb said:
Hi,
My wife and I are thinking of buying a Lifetime tent trailer from Costco to tow behind our Wrangler. Has anyone here had any experiance with these? We are just starting to Wander/Overland and thought this might be a good entry level tent trailer.
Thanks
Hey Johnnyb I have one. Bought it in 2011 costco actually. The current model is different than mine. The one I have is like a mini jumping jack trailer.

Some thoughts. The new one big plus you can haul gear on the floor of the trailer. The minus tent is light 2 season type tent no rain fly and it offers two single bunks or two full size with there extender shelf that hangs over the center floor.

The older model the one I have has two queen bunks out side the main 4x6 floor, tent is very heavy canvas with rain fly. Your load deck is above the tent on the bed frames like the Jumping Jack trailers. I also had read that the guys building the Jumping Jack were also the builders of the original Life Time trailer. Mine was $1900 on sale in October costco online. No joke costco delivered it two business days after I ordered it.

We Love it!!!!!
Though the new design I would probably have bought a used Jumping Jack.
google popuptimes Lifetime trailer review. Thats the old style one I have. Very well made, great trailer.

By the way I cut my load and unload time by packing all extra crap in large bags. Example Target roof top 42inch bag. Couple of straps and we slip it off the deck then set up. Takes us about 15minutes to be set up. Its not ideal for on the move quick stays, which case a roof top tent or FWC on a pickup is the clear winner.

But we haul ours with the Subaru OB when its just the 4 of us. 21-27mpg cant complain. When grand parents tag along the Sequoia is used for butts in seats capacity and the gear hauling capacity of the trailer is very nice to have.

When the grandparents stop going camping... I can see replacing the Sequoia with a diesel midsized 4dr with FWC and using the Lifetime trailer as the kid bunk house and toys hauler.

As for quality and Life Time. Very good beefy well thought out. All the parts are very well made and fit exactly. As in EXACTLY.. I was impressed by it as I assembled it. Lifetime sent me a new side marker mine was cracked by the delivery truck while unloading the pallet. I ordered the spare tire bracket. No big deal it arrived a few days after Costco delivered the trailer. Ive maxed it out on a few dump runs after home renovation projects. Oddly the dump charges me $20 more when I tow it with the truck vs $20 cheaper same load with the Subaru. LOL got me? I take the Subaru to the dump now.

Thanks for the info. We were planning on getting it before the Overland Expo in May. Now I think we will tent camp it and check out some other options.

If I were doing lots of quick short stay type stuff. A flip top roof tent on a utility trailer would be my choice. Faster set up, you can have a kitchen
/tailgate type platform etc. But ultimatly I see my self with a Diesel 4dr midsized PU with a FWC. Mileage and slightly smaller than a full sized PU

Back
Top Bottom