Lift Panel Plans (Eagle) - Are they all the same?

kmcintyre

I'm in need of plans for the front and back lift panels. I'm going to have the vinyl replaced and while they are doing that have them put in new lift panels. In order to save a bit of money, I'd like to make my own but I won't have a way to remove them before I take the camper in.

Anyone have any plans? From what I've read, birch is the wood of choice although I saw some discussion about other materials being considered (never saw a follow-up so I don't know if it worked out or not).

Thanks,

Kevin

I'd love the same thing; I need to replace the panels in my Hawk this Summer too.

Before you do it yourself or send job to a third -party get a price from Terry Todd at FWC - terry@fourwh.com.

They have the tools and experience to do the job right.

If you or the third party botch the job it can cost more money to make it right.

Member Rich posted how he replaced a lift panel - here

SLO_F-250, I believe, also replaced a lift panel - here

When we had our side liner replaced by the guys at All Terrain they repaired the braces on the rear lift panel and replaced the front lift panel. They did a great job for us. You have options.

Thanks for doing the "link work" for me Ski!

It is quite a project. You'll need the hinges from the original panels, if they are not damaged. You also need the original panels for the template. You could probably just measure and cut out the 4 separate panels, then when they remove your existing, drill and switch over the hinges.

The shape has changed throughout the years as well as the aluminum support. If you browse through my thread (complete one on Expo in my Sig) you can see the original 90's Panel in the back and the 2010-ish one I replaced it with. They look different. I want to say the newer one was 1/4" birch ply.

Also, and VERY important, is before you unscrew and take them all apart, you need to build a temporary support frame to keep your roof aligned and straight. If you are good, all the original screw holes will line up since you are using your original ones for a template. When I replaced mine, I had to predrill all new holes b/c it was a completely different panel.

Hope that helps a little. Hit us up with more questions as they come up. Last thing is get a 12 pack and a buddy for the day. 2 people help for the project. :D

FWC now uses a composite material for the panel. It is worth considering having them do it if the can use the composite material on an older camper.

Thanks for all the suggestions. My thought was that I'd use 1/4" birch or oak and make them myself then take them and have them installed. I'm not sure I can afford the composite versions although they sound interesting.

I have am looking for the template for a Hawk lift panel.
The old existing ones on an old school Hawk have broken.
I would like to replace them ...preferably with the style lift panel that does not slide latch vertically into the roof.
If possible I prefer the style where the latch is horizontal like the 90's models.
Anyone ?

Are folks tossing that 1/4" thickness out there without measuring/knowing, or is that what you are using for replacement panels? My Grandby panels are definitely 1/8" plywood. I'm about to replace my front lift panels and have been reading threads on the subject, but seems like everyone is talking about 1/4" thickness. What's the final answer?

On my older Ranger which used 1/8" plywood the replacement 1/4" material was too thick to work with hinges from the old panel. Had my first panel assembled and discovered the panel would not fold flat. Had to disassemble the panel and reduce the thickness where the hinges mount. What I would call the "barrel" of the hinge is not big enough to accept the 1/4" material. I think different thickness hinges must have been used over the years.

I wish they would figure out a way to have a window in the front. No matter which way I park, I also seem to want to be able to look out through the front lift area, same with the back lift area...

Back
Top Bottom