Lift Panel Replacement Help

Has anyone tried to make a welded Aluminum lift panel structure substitute (not solid and not EMT) for the plywood or composite panels - sort of an open frame with multiple cross bracing? It seems to me 3/16" or so thick out of something like 6061 would be stiff enough. Structural grooves/creases may be required to minimize bending.

It would allow access to the pop-up side material front and back for cleaning, wiping down to prevent mold, etc. It would also eliminate the condensation caused delamination and degradation issues of the plywood.

ckent323 said:
Has anyone tried to make a welded Aluminum lift panel structure substitute (not solid and not EMT) for the plywood or composite panels - sort of an open frame with multiple cross bracing? It seems to me 3/16" or so thick out of something like 6061 would be stiff enough. Structural grooves/creases may be required to minimize bending.

It would allow access to the pop-up side material front and back for cleaning, wiping down to prevent mold, etc. It would also eliminate the condensation caused delamination and degradation issues of the plywood.
that would be a good idea... you could also see the wiring back there.... I just wonder if there are any other reasons it's solid; maybe FWC or ATC could chime in?

FWIW AT Overland uses aluminum on the Atlas pop up camper folding end panels.
I have not seen one in person but I will own one mid November after a 2000+mi trip to Salt Lake City to pick it up.
I can update after that how thick and how well they work.

ckent323 said:
Has anyone tried to make a welded Aluminum lift panel structure substitute (not solid and not EMT) for the plywood or composite panels . . .
If I had to do over I would use sheet aluminum in the same shape as the originals; using an english wheel to create stiffening contour.
My aluminum welding skills are very poor.

SkyP, et. al.,

The panels are briefly visible at about 14:30, again about 19:30 and a brief discussion and examination of them at about 20:25 into the linked video

A bit different than I am envisioning but it looks plenty sturdy and I like the front and rear windows.

I've been interested in seeing Bison Overland Camper's version of a smaller lift panel. Shown at 3:50 in the video below.

ski3pin,

The Bison lift panel is closer to what I have been envisioning. My concept is wider with more cutouts/openings but otherwise quite similar.

Been rebuilding my lift panels using porkybro 81 grandby build. Great information here only thing I cant find is the mount location to the roof. Mainly from the sideliner to were I rivet the spring hinge. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi scoutbrewer,

In trying to help further with your lift panel replacement, I’m wondering what to recommend. Typically you can just reattach the piano hinges to existing holes in the ceiling, if the old holes were not over enlarged from the removal process of drilling out out the pop rivets. If the the ceiling material has been replaced, the existing holes may be a little difficult to locate, but possible.

on my build the old holes were previously over drilled so I had to relocate a little. I’m out of town until Tuesday, so I can’t measure right now. You have to be pretty exact, or the roof will not set down properly. During my build, I called Marty at ATC, to ask several questions, and he gave me some exact measurements for the holes you are referencing, so you might do best by contacting Marty and see if he can help. Otherwise let me know and I’ll see if I can help by checking mine out when I return home. You may have stated earlier, but is this front or back lift panel placement, or both?

Poky

Thanks. This is for both panels. I did redo the roof and I messed up the first attempt. I can try and give atc a call but let me know where yours were located to be sure. You did a very good write up by the way. Thanks

There are many posts on how to build the panels. I had a hard time finding exact location to attach panels to the roof. Called atc today and was told 2 3/4" from the edge of the roof. Just wanted to share in case anyone else wanted to know.

Back
Top Bottom