Lift panel structural failure

bike4mee

Hey
I finally stressed out my lift panels by lifting too much weight on the roof. I have been lifting the weight of 2 sea kayaks and a solar panel for years. I have 2011 Kestra. I have 4 -40# struts to assist the lift. (they are getting old) I finally see the wear and stress is on the thin aluminum panel supports. They are buckling. Has anyone replaced these with a steel support? Is there a thread showing how to get at the replacement of the panels?

While steel will work, why not use heavier wall aluminum. Lighter and much easier to work with. You might be able to straighten the old piece and reinforce with a new section instead of complete replacement. Beefier or new struts might be a good remedy also.

If you use steel, i would recommend stainless. That area seems to get a lot of condensation.

Yes, I had similar experience. Had 2005 Hawk and hung a solar bag off the boat rack when camper was "up". The weight of the water bag kinked the vertical aluminum panel supports. Also kinked the plywood panel. All still functioned. I purchased steel square tubing which fit within the aluminum support (#2) which I think was about 1/2 inch or so. I went with #2 pieces the whole length of the vertical supports - maybe 20" or so. Screw or bolt into the side the supports and painted for rust control and was good to go. Now i carry a fiberglass telescopic pole that can set up from ground to boat rack to keep the weight of the water bag from dipping down the panel. Also, you may try using a speaker stand to raise and lower the roof when you have your boats on top. I do that now and it works great. I sold my 2005 and received a new 2020 this winter and really impressed with the newer quality materials used in the build. Hope this all helps.

I'm no metallurgist, but from what I have heard, aluminum is pretty much shot once it is stressed. I would not trust aluminum that has folded like this to hold the bolts to any new reinforcement piece.
Beach said:
While steel will work, why not use heavier wall aluminum. Lighter and much easier to work with. You might be able to straighten the old piece and reinforce with a new section instead of complete replacement. Beefier or new struts might be a good remedy also.

To clarify my my suggestion; leave the old but have the new heavier aluminum angle or C channel sections(full vertical length) carry the load.

Back
Top Bottom