Light Weight and Low Profile is Key

Hey, 2wd is the way to go for most people. I even talked myself into that once. When I was working for CDF I offroaded whatever i happened to have. A car, a chevy luv mini pu, then I thought I finally had it made. Got a Dodge with a granny 4sp, good limited slip and some nice mudders on the rear. Of course I did have to walk back down the train tracks to the nearest road and hitch a ride once when I couldnt climb a slippery slope. But I still had fun and thought it was pretty capable.

Then I got my Jeep. Absolutely no comparison. Haven't had to walk since. It can run circles around any 2wd vehicle. That said, its true that most of the roads I run you could do with a nice 2wd truck.

Hey, I'll take my Jeep over Usal in 2wd. Would that count?

Ditto... it is a pretty humbling experience to drive my truck through what I would consider to be a mild offroad trail/road and to have it struggle to climb a loose rocky hill that the Jeep will just walk right up w/o slipping a tire.

They are two different vehicles that I have built for 2 different purposes though.

If you equip a two wheel drive with a rear locking device, then there are more places a two wheel drive car or truck can go. Alot of the fact if it can or can't make it has to do with driver experiance.

There is a time when you must have all four pulling, and then when just the flick of the ARB in the rear was all that was needed. Driver judgement.

For Wandering the West for me it is better with a four wheel drive truck because you'll never know what you might want to wander into (been there way too many times).

What get me is most people will try a hillly section in two wheel drive. In doing so thier truck will bounce and have wheel spin. You all have seen these sections that have the mogel look. With proper speed and maintaining wheel contact will keep from tearing up these sections. These is where four wheel drive and driver experiance pays off. Do you need four wheel drive to make it?...No, but it sure maintains the road.

Now where did you say TT this beach party was???

With proper speed and maintaining wheel contact will keep from tearing up these sections. These is where four wheel drive and driver experiance pays off. Do you need four wheel drive to make it?...No, but it sure maintains the road.
I very much appreciate you saying this!

THANKS,
Mike

I very much appreciate you saying this!

THANKS,
Mike

Sometimes we just need to say "no, not this road this time".
Theres a road up in the Plumas NF I visit in June, its always has a section thats wet and muddy. Drives me nuts but I turn around and explore another area. Some day I need to go up there later in the year when its dried out and see what I've been missing. Theres really no excuse for tearing a road up "just because you can".

You're right Craig. We all need to know when to just say no.

TT, Not another Nard beach party. You keep inviting folks and sooner or later it won't be a secret any more. Here's a pic I took on our last sail out to the islands before we sold "Panama Pam" and moved to the Pueblo.

Attachments

• Copy of Anacapa_arch_in_arch.jpg
    Copy of Anacapa_arch_in_arch.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 187
Back
Top Bottom