Living in a van down by the river

UglyScout

Contributors
[SIZE=medium]Not really a van, our 1993 FWC Grandby, but really a river Champoeg State Park is right on the Willamette…[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Where to begin…[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I just wrapped up an unplanned 10 day ‘camping trip’ in my FWC. Not just me, but my wife and 2 kids (3.5 year old son and 1.5 years old daughter). We were homeless for 10 days. Yeah it was a real hoot. We found all the weak spots in the camper/our gear. Found all the leaks. And pretty much took a couple full camping seasons off the life of the camper. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]It didn’t help that we had monsoon rains and wind (+50 mph gusts – it was so loud in the camper I couldn’t sleep) for 4 days and were camping during the wettest September in our area ever (maybe not ever but at least the last 50 years…). And we needed to continue to do the regular things you need to do like go to work for me, preschool and soccer for the boy, run and wiggle and scream for the lil’ girl.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]We found ourselves in this situation when during the process of buying a new house our closing paperwork for the new house got delayed, then delayed again, then again – to the point where we had to sign away our existing house, move all our stuff into storage and just wait. Homeless. The one positive point is our old house and new house are 1.5 miles apart. In the beginning we planned/packed/prepared “worse case” for 4-5 days – it turned into a full 10 nights. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]We told the kids “We are going to go camping and have an adventure and when it is done, we will move into our new house!!” The kids were totally prepared for the move, we took them by the new house almost every day for the previous month – talked about it all the time – even the 1.5 year old got it, she just had to make sure ‘puppy’ was moving too (puppy is her favorite stuffed animal). “Yes and puppy too…” became a common line at our house. The kids didn’t actually catch on until about day 8 or 9 that the ‘adventure’ had no set ending day. All in all the kids were AWESOME and had a great time. They love camping. At one point my son and I were sitting by the camp fire and he said ‘Dad, I hope this never ends’, yeah I squeezed him tight and cried.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]So back to the ‘camping’. We loaded up the camper and truck and our Toyota Camry with everything we might need and headed out. We drove to the beach and stayed in Newport, OR at South Beach State Park. We did the Hatfield Marine Science Center one day and the Newport Aquarium the next. We had terrible weather – lots of rain, heavy winds. For work/school days we stayed at Champoeg State Park just south of Newberg, OR (where our old and new house are). We even camped in a driveway for one night. The camper was packed to the gills so every night we shuffled gear around and with the wind and rain we couldn’t leave anything outside. If it was summer time and dry it would have been much easier. My wife had to do laundry 2 times to keep the kids in clothes.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]We actually ate well and got plenty of sleep. We cleaned out our freezer before the trip and had all sorts of homemade frozen food to eat. We had a regular cooler with ice and our 12V Edgestar fridge. We used an electric crook pot to reheat and cook stuff at the campground, it was a brilliant idea to toss it in at the last minute. For sleeping, the kids bed time came at 8pm so we all went to sleep at the same time. I slept ‘downstairs’ with the 3.5 year old and my wife slept ‘upstairs’ with the 1.5 year old. After 3 or 4 days we’d worked everything out pretty well and the kids were tired enough that they went to sleep pretty quickly. On work days I’d sneak out of the camper at 5:30am, get cleaned up in the campground bathroom and go to work. It became pretty routine and no one at work was the wiser that I was ‘homeless’.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]The camper took a beating! It is soaked, the carpet is gross, it smells like a swamp, the roof vent got cracked by a falling tree branch in the wind and started leaking, water was blowing into/around the propane box hatch and leaking into the cabinets and dribbling out on the floor. Water was being blown through the Velcro on the windows and leaking out at the bottom corners. The top seal broke in a few places letting water in when you drove. Water everywhere, wetness always. The lower bed fold out legs both had their screws fall out which lead to them twisting and failing. The sink exterior drain hose was constantly getting kinked and clogging. We had an ant invasion! I dumped over 2 quarts of boiling water on to the front couch, the kids glowing night light/clock and a plugged in and running electric heater – huge freaking disaster. I’m not sure the camper will ever be the same. It will take a lot of cleaning, resealing, a new roof vent and a new top seal to make it whole again. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]In the end I am SO GLAD I had the camper. We saved about $800-$1000 not staying in a motel and eating out 3 meals a day. We didn’t have to miss any work, school, etc. The kids had an awesome time! It was an adventure we will remember for a long time. And we got the keys to our new house Monday evening so we don’t have to stay in the camper ever again!!! (Or at least until summer when it is not raining)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]No pictures as I didn't think to take any and it was raining so hard most of the time I didn't want to be outside...[/SIZE]

The most unusual trip report I've ever read. What a great story. You and your kids will be telling this one for years to come.

What a story! We really enjoyed reading your tale. You are real troopers to manage all that with young kids. They are great kids. Sounds like your family knows how to turn it into an adventure. Best of luck with the new home!

ski3pin said:
What a story! We really enjoyed reading your tale. You are real troopers to manage all that with young kids. They are great kids. Sounds like your family knows how to turn it into an adventure. Best of luck with the new home!
My wife is the trooper - i got to go to work during the days...

My son really asked yesterday "When can we go camping again?" He is nuts!

We took his bike and her trike and they would just ride and ride. They didn't seem to notice the weather. We just kept them mostly dry and they were happy. I figured they'd be good, but I didn't think they would handle it like they did.

Life is like that sometimes...and you all survived!
Your story brings back memories of our many camping trips with our 4 kids.

Let the adventures continue.

Great story. Twenty or so years down the road, when the kids come home to visit for a holiday, I'll bet this will be one of those events where you say "Remember when ...?".

Oh, and congrats on the house!

I had a similar experience when I was a little kid and my parents ran into the same problem with closing on a house. We ended up staying in an unheated summer cabin not much bigger than a camper in my memory, on a small lake way out of town all summer into late October (cold!)- 3 boys to a sagging double bed, sister on a couch. My Dad drove a couple hours to work every day and back again. 4 kids and Mom hung out at the lake. Good times! We talked about it for years. Thanks for the report and good luck getting the camper back in service.

takesiteasy said:
I had a similar experience when I was a little kid and my parents ran into the same problem with closing on a house. We ended up staying in an unheated summer cabin not much bigger than a camper in my memory, on a small lake way out of town all summer into late October (cold!)- 3 boys to a sagging double bed, sister on a couch. My Dad drove a couple hours to work every day and back again. 4 kids and Mom hung out at the lake. Good times! We talked about it for years. Thanks for the report and good luck getting the camper back in service.
Where in MN? I did some time there....

Picked a heck of wet time to live in the FWC! More rain in 3 days that we get in most winter months! At least our state parks have nice facilities.

Awesome report btw. :)

UglyScout said:
Where in MN? I did some time there....
Near a small town called Rockford in far western Hennepin County. The lake was Lake Rebecca- now a county park. Back then (50s) it was farm country, now it's kind of exurban.

takesiteasy said:
Near a small town called Rockford in far western Hennepin County. The lake was Lake Rebecca- now a county park. Back then (50s) it was farm country, now it's kind of exurban.
Nice. I've been through Rockford, but never stopped or went to the lake.

I did find a picture that sums up the trip:

Attachments

• 010-800.jpg
    010-800.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 114
And when I think I have it tough, along comes a report putting it into perspective....

I've been living in my Grandby for the last 8 or 10 days while I finish up work on my house that is in the sale process while the new owners started moving in. Luckly for me, my wife and younger son are secure in temporary quarters and my oldest son is away at college while I batch it and I have not had to deal with rain, just cold nights.

Congratulations on your camping success, home purchase, and thanks for the report.

UglyScout said:
I did find a picture that sums up the trip:
Great story. This picture really sums up the sense of adventure and pioneer sprit that rug rats own and us grown ups hope to experience. Great picture. Your living the American Dream. Best Wishes.

Back
Top Bottom