Loading Hallmark on new truck?

Bfulls

Hi,

I'm new to truck campers and looking for some basic information on how the camper should sit in the truck.

Earlier this year I bought a (combo) used 2013 Hallmark Guanella LX on a Ford F150. I just purchased a used F350 and have some basic truck camper loading questions. Should the camper rest on the side rails of the pickup box/bed? Drivers side camper is touching the rail and passenger side has 1/2"-3/4" gap. Should the camper sit on the rails? Evenly? I'm assuming that the camper is supported by resting on the bed of truck, but does it need to be also on the side rails to prevent movement/tilting?

The F350 truck cab is higher than the F150. The bottom of the camper sleeper now rests on the roof of the truck, I'm guessing that this isn't a good thing. Is it? The Hallmark has a "rubber" rib running across it. Not sure what it's function is, maybe to rest on roof of truck cab? If the camper does not need to be on the side rails, I can add something (plywood, rigid foam, etc..) between camper and truck bed to get the sleeper off of the truck cab roof.

How far forward does the camper need to be in the truck bed? Can I add some blocking between the front of the truck bed and the camper rubber stops to have it sit a little further back in the bed? The Guanella is for a long bed and the truck has a long bed. When up tight against the truck bed, the door when open hits the tailight. If I shfit the camper back a couple of inches, the door can latch open and the stairs have a better shot at clearing the bumper.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4298.jpeg
    IMG_4298.jpeg
    23.2 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_4299.jpeg
    IMG_4299.jpeg
    15.3 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_4302.jpeg
    IMG_4302.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 200
You're going to have to build a 2" external frame with some cross members under the camper to raise it for clearance.
I'm not a fan of retaining the tailgate with a cabover. The folding scissor steps work well.

yes, you need some clearance on the cab roof and side rails you can move the camper back a bit- 4x4 between camper and the front of the bed gives you some storage space my brother in law does this and loves it i want all the weight as far forward as possible

I had a couple of horse stall mats cut down to fit the floor of my bed from my old camper that I continued to use with the Hallmark. Raises it about 1/2 in which was perfect for that extra comfort level. And figured the rubber cushion didn't hurt either.

A common problem when moving a camper from one truck to another. In-laws bought a 2017 Ford F-350 to replace their 2002 Chevy 2500HD. Before they moved the 1994 Lance camper to the new truck, I asked the question, "have you measured the height of the rails and the distance from bottom of camper pack to bottom of cabover?" Sure enough, Fords sit higher in both respects.

I've heard recommendations for a 3" clearance above the cab and that's what I recommended to my FIL. He's building a 2x4 platform, set on edge (3-1/2" nominal measurement) to raise the camper. That will also provide clearance at the bed rails. I've also heard of people using solid foam insulation to build height. Not sure about the structural/crush integrity of that method.

Good luck with your new and unanticipated project!

Congratulation on your purchase.
I think the comments given so far are spot on.
Here's a picture of mine that may give you an idea of the clearances I have for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_626.jpg
    IMG_626.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 239

Back
Top Bottom