Local Festivals

I'm going to put these all on my calendar, with a week or two notice...and do a tour! :-D

(one of these days, anyway)

The town near where I live depends on tourism, so there are many small festivals through the year. Honestly, many of them have the same vendors, artists, etc., and are hard to tell apart, but there is one festival that is worth going to: BAMM

I don't see any 2017 dates yet, but that's typical for this laid back town.

Here's a couple:

So one of the highlights of this festival is the buffalo chip toss:
http://www.exploreminnesota.com/events/1854/buffalo-days/
There's also a parade, races, waffle breakfast, baseball, arts in the park, etc. Small town America at its best.

And this is a festival dedicated to one of the ugliest bottom-dwelling fish in the world. And it takes place on a frozen lake in the middle of January in Minnesota at the small town of Walker. Usually upwards of 10,000 people attend.
http://www.exploreminnesota.com/events/3139/international-eelpout-festival

Favorite festivals which I've been to are the NC Maritime Museum's Strange Seafood Exhibition, featuring all sorts of dishes serving allegedly edible odd and strange creatures from NC waters. Umm, umm, good(?). A little later in the year is the NC Seafood Festival, a Friday-Sunday affair featuring live music, all sorts of (conventional) seafood, and fun events like the Shuck, Rattle & Roll and Flounder Fling contests. The reigning Miss North Carolina traditionally flings the first flounder, much like local dignitaries throw out the first pitch at the ball park.

Favorite festival which I've never been to is the Montana Testicle Festival, once held at a tiny campground right on I-90 near the mouth of Rock Creek, just east of Missoula. Being the nominal celebration of the serving of fried Rocky Mountain oysters, the Testy Festy evolved into a bacchanalian extravaganza of epic proportions--sort of a combination of Woodstock, Burning Man, Terlingua Chili Cook Off, and a NASCAR tailgate party. I'm normally not much for crowds, particularly raucous crowds, but I love me a spectacle, and by all descriptions, the Testy Festy was truly a spectacle. Past tense since I don't think Testy Festy survived the sudden death of its founder a few years back.

Foy

There's quite a few in Idaho. The Weiser Fiddle Festival and there's the Yellow Pine Music and Harmonica Festival.

One of my favorites (although it's getting big now) is the Treefort Music Festival.

And how could I forget... Trailing of the Sheep in Sun Valley.

The nice thing about some of these is that they are perfect for FWC's as they are out of the cities and have dispersed camping!

Back
Top Bottom