Lockable storage

I've been looking for something like that- a box I could lock in my gas can carriers for tools or whatever. These are a bit too pricey for me but I like the idea. I wonder if they are waterproof? I've been shopping for an ammo box- 60 mm mortar seems about the right size- but I haven't found any locally.

I got one of these bad boys. Seems to work pretty well. No leaking from weather yet, but I find I don't use it as much as I thought I would.

Well I found some 20 mm ammo cans at a local surplus shop. A little paint and they look brand new. They fit in the jerry can holders and are waterproof. they work great for carrying tools and odds and ends that we don't use often. Since they are shorter and narrower than the jerry cans I made some straps to hold them in the jerry can holders- they are lockable similar to the straps that hold the jerry cans. I added some foam padding to hold them secure. I'm not totally happy with the straps so I will keep tinkering with them but they work for now.

The straps did not hold the cans as securely as I would like. The locks allowed too much play. I added a bolt and wingnut to each strap. The cans are held very securely now. With the exception of the ratty-looking foam padding (I cut up an old insolite sleeping pad I had- probably 40 years old), I am pleased with how the setup turned out. I can use one, none or both cans depending on if I am carrying gas or not. One can will hold all the tools I usually take. The other can hold miscellaneous stuff that we don't use very often and frees up space in the camper storage compartment for things used more frequently. I will probably get some better foam at some point but this will work for now.

[/URL]">http://

Back
Top Bottom