Long hot summer has me thinking...

cdbrow1 said:
Weight is under 80 lbs and it mounts on a standard 14x14 opening. It's much taller then I would like - but what can you do.

Anyone have any thoughts?
I wish I could find an 8,000 btu AC that fits that standard FWC AC slot. :(

I don't think you noticed but it's water cooled...that's why it so small...instead of a condenser coil that uses air to remove the heat you need to run water through it...that's why it makes sense in a boat...

rilcombs said:
attachicon.gif
IMG_2590.JPG

It's been done before!
Any other pictures of that set up?

I added a 5000BTU window AC unit to my Granby. I removed the emergency exit window and made an aluminum adapter insert to mount the AC to. The unit can easily be installed or removed in less than a 1/2 hour. I can leave the adapter in the opening and add a piece of lexan to serve as a window.
I have used the camper several times and the AC does a decent job of cooling. BUT, it seems that with temperatures in the 90s the AC doesn't quite cool as I hoped. I think the non-insulated canvas area either lets the cool out or heat in. Still a lot better than no AC!
Here are some pictures of my setup:

Attachments

• IMG_2086.JPG
    IMG_2086.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2087.JPG
    IMG_2087.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2088.JPG
    IMG_2088.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2089.JPG
    IMG_2089.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 122
JimArneson said:
I've already made good use of it as I modified the front overhang to hold a stainless camp table in the 82 degree 85% humidity Minnesota summer.
Lets see that table mod, Jim!

... btw, check your AC's outer edge seals. I had to add a little extra silicone caulk in the bottom right corners of mine. When I washed it at the car wash, the high pressure would intrude a little. Also, make sure the pan under it (AC) drains well. Mine was holding condensate and I had to drill and repaint paint a small hole to compensate.

brover, that is a nice install , but according to the specs it is pretty heavy and draws more amps than it should for what it is IMO.

cwd

cwdtmmrs said:
brover, that is a nice install , but according to the specs it is pretty heavy and draws more amps than it should for what it is IMO.

cwd
Cool story

Its on 110. Who cares the amps it draws. Runs a honda 2000 on less than 50% throttle for 9 hours.

also
-not a perm install
-Adaptable to infinite rigs
-Stores perfectly in the walkway of all campers
-Not that heavy, a window unit weighs the same

Also. You guys forget something. Window units are made for large areas.
Our campers are very small and you need a smaller unit so you don't over cool the unit and not pull the humidity out.
I worry about overall efficiency. You worry about one small section of it.

There is no other "good" universal solution that does not require perm mounting, or draining to the exterior from the interior.

Brover thanks for posting. Looks perfect. I am guessing one hose is pulling air out and the other pumping in. Would there be any advantage to running the "in" line to dump into one of the roof vents? Beats having a portable unit inside and like you said, not a perm install.

Longbeard87 said:
Brover thanks for posting. Looks perfect. I am guessing one hose is pulling air out and the other pumping in. Would there be any advantage to running the "in" line to dump into one of the roof vents? Beats having a portable unit inside and like you said, not a perm install.
Heat soak over the distance of the tube is my biggest worry. Thats why i made it as short as possible.

Brover, I don't disagree with your reasons for liking the ClimateRight, I just wish there was something on the market that was lighter and used less than 400 watts since I never camp where there are hookups. I do not have, nor do I wish to carry a Honda 2000 (another 50lbs) and I have enough stuff in my walkway when traveling as it is. I bet the 2500 does a nice job though and they are on sale now for $399.00.

cwd

cwdtmmrs said:
Brover, I don't disagree with your reasons for liking the ClimateRight, I just wish there was something on the market that was lighter and used less than 400 watts since I never camp where there are hookups. I do not have, nor do I wish to carry a Honda 2000 (another 50lbs) and I have enough stuff in my walkway when traveling as it is. I bet the 2500 does a nice job though and they are on sale now for $399.00.

cwd
Its 480 watts. Hardly all that much

Resurrecting this topic ...

This came across my FB feed today and looks like a possible solution...

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Spot-Air-Conditioner-Industrial/dp/B001JTGZS2/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1524849493&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=spot+cooler&dpPl=1&dpID=41ujB7axVYL&ref=plSrch

Most of the negative comments are from people who don't understand the need to leave the unit out of the area to be cooled...
Like Broverlanding did just use some dryer duct and fashion a connection into your rig... it should run fine on a 2k generator

Back
Top Bottom