Longstreet

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
A while back someone mentioned, if my memory's correct, great basin guide's story about Nevada's Jack Longstreet. If someone could help locate it, I'd sure appreciate it.

If memory serves, there is a Longstreet adobe style cabin and springs at Ash Meadows NWR. I don't recall much in the way of historical markers.

Thank everyone for your help, but what I'm looking for, I believe, was mentioned or a link given to a story written by GBGuide. I remember reading it and it is possibly part of what Smoke mentioned - GBGuide's Monitor Range.

Mr. 3pin, are you talking about something posted on WTW? Or are you talking about something posted somewhere else on the Web. You didn't specify...?

I just realized -- you're talking about GBGuide a WTW member! I assumed you were referring to something called Great Basin Guide. :p

I'm afraid I can't help much then. As you've probably already discovered, a search of WTW for "longstreet" only returns these few posts that I already linked to above, as shown in the screenshot below:

longstreet search.jpg

Smoke's post mentions "our own GBGuides "Monitor Range", which lead to a book on "Jack Longstreet" by Sally Zanjani,"
But that isn't what you're looking for...?

Mark, thanks for the help searching and, yes, I turned up the same results with my searching. I could be all wrong but my memory is someone bringing our attention to a story written by Great Basin Guide that included running into Longstreet and his wife. I'll keep looking around.

So, am I getting old?

I've sorted this out. Richard Waller (Greatbasinguide here on WTW) is an old friend of Stew and has the Wandering the West website. Someone in the past, possibly Stew, brought our attention to Richard's book - Monitor Range

Now the old part, I found I have the kindle addition on our old google tablet. At least I can reread it tonight now! :)

ski3pin said:
Mark, thanks for the help searching and, yes, I turned up the same results with my searching. I could be all wrong but my memory is someone bringing our attention to a story written by Great Basin Guide that included running into Longstreet and his wife. I'll keep looking around.
Been gone, yep it was me :D , Great Basin Guide wrote a book called the monitor Range, posted the info here, I saw it, got it and sent it to my Dad, who liked it and I sent GB Guide a note saying my Dad liked it. In the book, I saw the ref to Longstreet, got the book then as noted in above posts, passed the info to you guys and since then several others have also gotten the book. Good data in it for those who want to explore that part of Nevada. Have a good friend who back packed that area years ago with his wife and kid and from what he remembers today, the area at that time, was pretty remote and neat but hard to get into and many of the place names mentioned in the book are still there! It is still on my list of "to do places" That help Ski?

Smoke

Sounds like ski3pin is doing more research for future travels. This can only mean more great trip reports in the future. :)

Unless I get there first :p-but they tell a better tale than me and take better pictures ! As a follow up, GB Guide is working on (or was working on) a follow up book to the Monitor Range-to be out soon.!

Smoke

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Ok, Google is not helping me find GBG. Any links, hints? It sounds like an interesting resource.
He does or did have a guide service with a web site, let me check some of my old messages from back then.

Smoke

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Ok, Google is not helping me find GBG. Any links, hints? It sounds like an interesting resource.
WS: It's what I said at the bottom of Post 6: Greatbasinguide is a WTW member -- not a guide to the great basin. I think Mr 3pin assumed we knew the guy...but I didn't.

Back
Top Bottom