Looking at a 86 F250 4X4.

SmkSignals

Advanced Member
Hi all. I am looking at a 1986 Ford F250 4X4 460 with a 4bbl carb. 151k on the odo. Single cab, 8' bed. Super clean. One very minor oil drip, looks like the rear main seal. Like new BFG's. Newer shocks and brakes. Twin Traction Beam front end. 3.55 gears. I drove it for a 1/2 hour and it drives excellent. Tons of power.

Outside of gas mileage (dual tanks) any concerns on a rig like this? Trans, motor, transfer case? He has a shell on it but by my measurements my 96 Grandby should fit. Any one else have a 80-86 F250 out there??

Thanks for your help, Kurt T.

Can't really offer much. If it passes smog, the top end of the engine is good. Your best consideration is how well it was maintained. It may be good for 5 years or so. Trans s/b ok, the transfer case chain may be due for R&R if it's a full time 4wd.

Super clean sounds like it was taken care of. Change out the axle, xfer and trans fluids.

If it's a good buy, go for it and run it till it dies. As long as it smogs, the engine is running good.

~DR

Historically TTB's (& TIB's for that matter) are under-damped. Symptom of them being under-damped is very strange front tire wear pattern(s). They behave like they have more unsprung mass per tire than a live axle. Does the truck have the optional dual front shocks? If not, you may want to look into adding this along with shocks that are designed (valved) for a dual shock application, even if no lifting of it is the plan. My shock suggestion with be Bilstein 5100's.
I've long thought that radius arms and coil-overs on one of those front leaf-sprung TTB's would be the best solution, but that is a major fabrication project.

Later 460's were fuel injected. No idea of your abilities, but swapping in the injection system would ease future smog problems and improve year-round driveability. Don't expect much of a mileage pay-off though. Those that I've driven were still fixed at about 10 mpg.

I've had three f250's with TTB, the first one was an 83 with a 300 six and a four speed. It was the lightest duty gvw and it actually rode nice. The second was an 84 6.9 diesel with a C6 auto. The third was a 93 7.3 diesel with a 5 speed.

They are solid workhorse trucks.

Thanks for the reply's. I slept on it overnight and decided to pass. I think adding the extra weight and drag of a camper on a carburetor'd 460 would be horrendous fuel economy. I dont think I could stomach $4.00 for every 8 miles...

heres the link if anyone is interested. located in Orange County. cant imagine it will last long.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/3287483833.html

5N55L15H63L43p63H9c9le3354415d2cc19d3.jpg

5L65H85J53n33Ge3I7c9l490340af5a9f1201.jpg

Find an F250 7.3L Powerstroke diesel in the same condition and you will be, the "happy camper".

~DR

Exactly what Im looking for...Unfortuanatly they are 3x the cash :oops:

DR, your sig image looks like a 95-97 F250. is it 4WD? And if not, do you find you wish you had 4WD? Thx.

Exactly what Im looking for...Unfortuanatly they are 3x the cash :oops:

DR, your sig image looks like a 95-97 F250. is it 4WD? And if not, do you find you wish you had 4WD? Thx.

It is a '97 F250HD 7.3 XLT, super cab, long bed, fully loaded 4x4. In 9/09 I traveled 500 miles to a used car guy in Carson City, NV and bought sight unseen. 113K miles for $9K. The 7.3L is a "medium duty class" diesel engine used mostly in school buses and tow trucks.
http://www.internationalpowerstroke.com/73psd.html

It is the best truck I have ever had. Awesome power, 2 fuel tanks and 16MPG.
There are many forums out there with all the technical knowledge you could ask for.

I am a "happy camper".

~DR

FWIW, from what I've experienced and witnessed it takes a serious load to make them drop much below 10 mpg, they just never do any better either.
With a LOT of work this is what can be done with the truck listed above:
http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=864

file.php

Back
Top Bottom