looking for a new truck

football

I am currently in the market for a new truck. i would like a 3/4 4x4 truck. I have ruled out a diesel because the expense and problems they have been having. Any suggestions Ford,Chevy or Dodge? I would like to get at least 15 to 17 mpg on the highway. I will be towing my jeep sometimes which weighs 5000lbs. Thanks

I was told in the long run the cost between the two would be very close to the same $ ??
You do see a lot around could be high as 50-50 at least up in this country.
As for pull'n diesel is the one to have.

Good luck with finding a gas 3/4 ton truck that will get that kind of mileage. I have a 2005 Dodge 4X4 diesel and those are the numbers I get. I don't blame you for wanting a gas truck, if I was going to buy a new truck today I would go for gas powered. Mostly for the same reasons as you. Perhaps some folks with gas trucks will post their mileage numbers to help you in your search.

I like Dodges but I would definitely give the Fords a good look.

mike

As Mike says, I don't know of any 3/4-ton gas engine 4x4 pickup that gets anything like that mileage...but I'm not a truck expert.
My 2000 Ford F250 4x4 V10 gasser got/gets 14mpg on pure-highway in 2-wheel drive without a camper and gets 12mpg pure-highway with the camper.

I think Gene Rubin was getting 12 with his '05 F250. He gets 20 highway with the Ram CTD and better than 15 with the ATC Ocelot.

Forget a new diesel unless your pulling HEAVY. That is the only advantage they have left.

You might get that kind of gas engine mileage with a empty truck but not loaded and towing.

Any of the big three would be a good choice. I am in the process of ordering a new truck and my choice is a 3500 (a one ton is only about $700 more than a 2500) GMC Denali. For unbiased reviews take a look at the recent Motor Trend, Pickuptruck.com and http://www.insideline.com/gmc/sierra-3500hd/2011/2011-heavy-duty-truck-comparison-test.html tests.

Kinda having a case of sticker stock looking at the prices of these things now!

A pretty good source on the net is fuelly; I've linked to the data for Superduties with all engine types. You can filter the results down a little more if you want, or look at other models.

A pretty good source on the net is fuelly;

Cool tool!
smile.gif

Forget a new diesel unless your pulling HEAVY. That is the only advantage they have left.

You might get that kind of mileage with a empty truck but not loaded and towing.

Any of the big three would be a good choice. I am in the process of ordering a new truck and my choice is a 3500 (a one ton is only about $700 more than a 2500) GMC Denali. For unbiased reviews take a look at the recent Motor Trend, Pickuptruck.com and http://www.insideline.com/gmc/sierra-3500hd/2011/2011-heavy-duty-truck-comparison-test.html tests.

Kinda having a case of sticker stock looking at the prices of these things now!

Hmmmm.... The avatar in the upper left of this post I believe would constitute loaded and towing. In CA at
65 mph I got 14 mpg at 55 mph (legal limit with trailer) I got close to 16 mpg. At 80 I got 12. I paid under 30K for my '06 Ram CTD with a auto trans.

Just curious what diesel problems you're referring to.

The new diesels require using DEF for emissions and it can frezee and put your truck in the limp mode. Ford and Chevy use this system. Dodge uses another sustem which is having problems too. Check out various diesel websites.

Hmmmm.... The avatar in the upper left of this post I believe would constitute loaded and towing. In CA at
65 mph I got 14 mpg at 55 mph (legal limit with trailer) I got close to 16 mpg. At 80 I got 12. I paid under 30K for my '06 Ram CTD with a auto trans.

I was referring to a gas engine.

My experiences with diesel has been much better than gas. My 2003 gas F250 got only 12 mpg with a light weight, cab high shell. Thankfully I did not have a camper on that Ford! This was Hwy, around 65 mph.

My 2006 Dodge Cummins with the ATC Ocelot mounted gets 16 mpg at 70 to 80 mph. I usually drive at 60 to 65 mph at which I have gotten 19 mpg my last 3 trips.

I know the Ford 6.0 diesels have had problems but the Dodge Cummins and Chevy (Isuzu) diesels are relatively problem free. I am an exe professional mechanic. After I looked under the hood of the big 3, it had to be a Dodge Cummins for me. The layout is so simple, easy access to everything.

Advantages of Ford and Dodge, over Chevy, is that the Ford and Dodge have solid front axles on the 4x4.

Advantage of Dodge over the others, besides the Cummins, is that there is no vacuum 4wd axle connect or freewheeling hubs. The Dodge front axle and drive shaft is locked up permanently. Yet the Dodge is still mileage champ.

There is something relaxing about driving a diesel. Lower rpms on the hwy, unstoppable torque, and other intangible pleasures. I would never go back to gas.

Mechanic buddy said the 5.9l diesel is the one to look for, pre 2008? The newer units have the emission concerns.
Speaking of Dodge.

Gene, have you ever done a cost analysis of diesel vs gas? Things such as increased costs of oil changes, initial purchase price difference, fuel costs? I like the idea of better mileage, and the range aspects of the diesel, but the outlay required has me a bit spooked.
Whats your 2 cents on this?

Jim,

I have the 2006, 5.9L Cummins. I change the oil every 5,000 miles. The same for the gas F250 I had. Cummins does swear that changing oil is every 15,000 and that the motor will go 300,000 miles as such. But I am old school. I stick with every 5,000. I think Jay does every 15,000. So, as far as oil changes, diesel is the same or less than gas.

Every 15,000 miles is a $11 fuel filter. Takes about 4 minutes. And that is it. There is very little maintenance on a diesel. Just oil and filter.

Fuel consumption, in my case, is about 50% better with diesel. The price of diesel fluctuates here in Ventura from the same as regular gas to the same as premium. Out in the less populated areas, diesel can be less than regular. I do buy biodiesel when available. We now have it in Ventura again though only B20.

The initial outlay for a diesel is expensive but you get back every penny when you sell. When I got fed up with my Ford gas F250's lousy mileage and terrible suspension. I put it up for sale. Even though my ad stated "gas", it took me 2 months to sell it. Every call I received was "Are you sure it isn't diesel?" I took a bath on resale. Had it been a diesel it would have sold high and within a day.

So my take? Diesel in the long run saves you money.

I only read the TDR (forums and magazine) and haven't seen many complaints about the CTD and new smog stuff. But I have the 5.9 so maybe I've just been overlooking them.

I'd sure never go back. No more problems with coils, plugs, wires, caps, rotor and all that failing. I only bought new because the used ones were going for so much. Not that resale value means much to me, I plan on keeping my truck a long time.

I only read the TDR (forums and magazine) and haven't seen many complaints about the CTD and new smog stuff. But I have the 5.9 so maybe I've just been overlooking them.

I've heard if you run plain low sulfur diesel like in mexico it'll take out a new cummins in less than 1000mi if I recall correctly. Plugs up the cat I believe.

The original poster was looking at a NEW truck, not five year old pre-emission trucks. Now if they were still building the old school Dmax and CTD I'd probably be all over them. Not now unless I was real heavy.

The MPG between gas and diesel has narrowed, fuel in my area is at least .30 to .40 more, DEF and regen problems, 7 to 9 grand more for engine/transmission and questionable resale (google Ford 6.0 diesel). No thanks, I'll go gas. That said, if I had a big 5th wheel or slide in, I'd go for the diesel. There is no getting around the torque that they provide.

A pretty contentious subject this diesel vs gas. On RV.net there is a thread on this subject that goes on for some 2 or 300 posts! Anyway the poster said he wanted gas and questioned which brand. Oh no here we go. :) I vote GM and yes I love the IFS! :)

The MPG between gas and diesel has narrowed, fuel in my area is at least .30 to .40 more, DEF and regen problems, 7 to 9 grand more for engine/transmission and questionable resale (google Ford 6.0 diesel). No thanks, I'll go gas. That said, if I had a big 5th wheel or slide in, I'd go for the diesel. There is no getting around the torque that they provide.

Some places there is a more modest .10 difference in fuel cost and while the 6.0 was a loser the resale on a diesel is much better. No one wants a gasser with over 150,000 but a diesel is good to go. I have one of those early polluters.

Back
Top Bottom