Looking for a small canoe

keith

Contributors
Looking for a short 2 person canoe in the 14' range. Lite weight a plus. Anyone know of one laying around in or near Northern California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia?

Well, We're heading up to British Columbia in June. So we'll be doing a fair amount of Flat lakes and beaver creeks. Bird and wildlife watching and a bit of fishing. I find canoes more comfortable and drier. What do you think?

I have been looking into small boats. I initially thought kayak. They have there purposes; certainly they are faster than canoes. But a canoe is more versatile, I understand. Essentially one boat can do more BECAUSE it is not as specialized as a kayak.

I think I'm rambling and failing to make a point.

Call these guys: Mohawk Canoe. They can explain.

That's what I'm thinking Scott. We're past the time in life where we'll be doing class III & IV rapids. The upright sitting in a canoe seems more comfee, and as an added plus, Ruby our black lab can ride along.

How are you planning on using you're boat Craig?

Looking for a short 2 person canoe in the 14' range. Lite weight a plus. Anyone know of one laying around in or near Northern California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia?

hi keith,frank here.we have a Old Town,'stillwater' 12'canoe.its fiberglass and is only 50#.it has a 42" beam which makes it very stable and great for lakes and slow rivers.we have used it a great amount of time in B.C. and the Sierra's.the only con is that it scratches easily, so in the granite lakes here in calif one has to be careful.it can carry about 900# so two people plus a dog no problem.hope this is helpful and not to late. frank

Well, We're heading up to British Columbia in June. So we'll be doing a fair amount of Flat lakes and beaver creeks. Bird and wildlife watching and a bit of fishing. I find canoes more comfortable and drier. What do you think?

I have done quite a bit of touring in both canoe and sea kayak (touring kayaks) on still water and low class rivers. I still have two 16' touring or sea kayaks and wouldn't travel still water any other way. Their storage is dry and abundant, they track through the water better than a canoe (IMO, don't want to start an argumewnt here), although you would have to use both quite a bit to notice a huge difference but there is a difference. I can also tell you from experience, I find sea kayaks with rudders as mine have, make the occasional wind storm on lakes and reservoirs a lot more tolerable. They are not good for hauling fido around with you unless you have a two seater, one being reserved for your best friend. I haven't even thought of using a canoe since owning sea kayaks for some 15 years now.

I hope this helps. Regardless of opinions, get what you think will work best for you.

Good paddling!

Paul

I was looking earlier this year for a small canoe, weent with a Raddison 12' Aluminum Canoe. Nice part is it's very lightweight at 34 lbs. Downfall is the aluminum skin is very thin, so rocks are an issue. The Radisson comes with a triple keel design, 1 main keel and 2 smaller keels, great for small ponds but lousy to turn quickly in a river enviroment. Plus I can row it or put the optional sail kit on an sail around the water.

Knowing what I know now, if I was to do it again, I'd look into a 10 foot kayak set up for fishing as I do most of my fishing solo. The canoe is great for one person, maybe a kid and an adult, but the downfall is the weight capacity, Radisson is only rated for around 450 lbs.

Good luck

There is another option, heavier, expensive but so much faster and comfortable.

I bought a few years ago a 15´ row boat from these guys:

http://www.littlerivermarine.com/heritage-15-classic/

I had my family (2 + 2) plus the dog in the boat and could still row comfortably. These boats are fast, stable and very durable.

But they do have their disadvantages:
- price
- weight
- size

Being a row boat you need much more space to row than a kayak or canoe.

I don´t think I would try to transport this on the roof of my camper.

Just my 2 centavos ;)

We wound up going with a wenonah canoe.

http://www.wenonah.com/products/template/product_detail.php?IID=20&SID=7216824ae8a45a64526e835a43102046

The fisherman model. 14' long and only 46 lbs. We are able to raise and lower the top. (a 2 person job) It was great. Had it in a glacier pond, with iceburgs, and a few lakes. No rivers. Gotta be careful on the rocks.

Found it on Craigslist for half price in like new shape.

We wound up going with a wenonah canoe.

http://www.wenonah.com/products/template/product_detail.php?IID=20&SID=7216824ae8a45a64526e835a43102046

The fisherman model. 14' long and only 46 lbs. We are able to raise and lower the top. (a 2 person job) It was great. Had it in a glacier pond, with iceburgs, and a few lakes. No rivers. Gotta be careful on the rocks.

Found it on Craigslist for half price in like new shape.

Back
Top Bottom