looking for advice

mike e.

I recently learned about Alaskan campers. I currently own a 2006 GMC 3/4 ton diesel crew cab with a 61/2 foot bed. Any advice anyone may have on what I should look for would be greatly appreciated. I do a lot of hunting and fishing, and cost won't deter me from getting something that fits my needs. Thanks in advance for info concerning what questions I should be asking,things I should look for, etc.
MIke

Are you thinking of a older one or a newer one? The old ones are nostalgic and basic but meet your basic needs and built solid where new ones have all the gadgets and amenities.
I think an 8 footer would be want you want.. Do you want a cabover?

Are you thinking of a older one or a newer one? The old ones are nostalgic and basic but meet your basic needs and built solid where new ones have all the gadgets and amenities.
I think an 8 footer would be want you want.. Do you want a cabover?

I'll probably go with a newer one, and a cabover would be beneficial, but not a deal breaker. Thanks for replying, I will start looking at 8 ft.ers

I recently learned about Alaskan campers. I currently own a 2006 GMC 3/4 ton diesel crew cab with a 61/2 foot bed. Any advice anyone may have on what I should look for would be greatly appreciated. I do a lot of hunting and fishing, and cost won't deter me from getting something that fits my needs. Thanks in advance for info concerning what questions I should be asking,things I should look for, etc.
MIke

Are hard sides important to you? You may want to look at FWC and ATC if simplicity and light weight could be advantages. There are also some heavier pop-ups with more luxury but I am not sure who makes them.

I just upgraded from my 1/2 ton Dodge with a 6.5' bed to a 3/4 ton Dodge diesel with an 8' bed. Because my 8' NCO camper hung over the tailgate, I could not lower the spare tire. Don't know if this is an issue with your truck but it may be something to investigate.
Mike

Take a look at the new ones from Alaskan....and they'll add just about anything you want to the build...solar, electronics, air....talk to Brian....If that's a little steep there are some nice ones hanging around...just don't let the fruit ripen too far...If you know what I mean..

they go fast

MIke

I have a 2004 8 foot cabover on a 2004 2500 chevy diesel, 6.5 foot bed. Works well together. This is my third Alaskan, really nice if you camp in cold country. I hunt out of mine here in Montana thru November and appreciate the hard sides. Good luck

Thanks everyone,I also have a truck bed gun vault truckvault.com, and I was wondering if anyone has ever mounted a camper on top of one.

MIke

Mike, We custom build each camper so we can fit the short beds just fine. We make a 7ft camper which fits great because it keeps the center of gravity forward of the axle.
Bryan Wheat

Welcome Brian......"Mr. Alaskan"...appropriate name

Thanks for checking in....It's nice having Alaskan Campers right here in the room....looking forward to "time permitting" contributions.

See what you did Mike E. ;)

Mr. Alaskan, welcome to Wander the West. I still remember the first Alaskan Camper I saw, way back in my youth, and thought "Now that is really cool!" Great to see some things just don't change.

Welcome Bryan, Its good to see you here! Lots of Alaskan owner here some need a little help at times. Mike in Hope

welcome Bryan,

i've caught the bug bad-- i,m restoring my second one. someday ,hope to get a new one. i just love the experience we get when using ours. comfort,ease of transport,attention from other campers,even comments in parking lots.thank you for all the help and advice you have given me and others when we call or e-mail you.

wes

Bryan,

Welcome good to see you on the site. By the way we love our 2005 10'cabover. Mike How tall is your gun vault?

Back
Top Bottom