Looking for budget cross country transport of a Eagle Shell

WaltK

Advanced Member
I've found a Eagle Shell that's in apparent good shape and a decent price for what it is. A shell is probably our best way to go as what stuff I want to put in is mostly not standard and I have no problem about doing my own build. But it's in Reno and I live 50 miles East of Atlanta, GA. Sure would cost a lot to drive out and back clear across the country. Anyone know any other options that might be less expensive. I tried FWC but they only transport their new ones and were not helpful. I've asked a few shipping companies here and none wanted to tackle it.

Here in the east I've have very poor luck with any Eagles even turning up, except new or near new and very expensive. Whatever is going on my 4x4 Ranger supercab 6' bed.

Shipping will probably be expensive.

Most RV / Camper transport companies have wide trailers.

So to load and unload a small camper like an Eagle Model you would sometimes need a forklift.

But that said, some shipping companies are better equipped than others for carrying a variety of camper sizes.

Here are a few comapies you could try ...

Lowell Gould
(541) 969-2563

Bill @ Avery Transport
(661) 948-3627

LaNinfa Transport
(208) 761-5924
(208) 841-3503

Hope this helps.

Happy Camping.

:)

Attachments

• P1010043.JPG
    P1010043.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 153
  • P1010047.JPG
    P1010047.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 152
UShip sucks. I've tried them a couple of times. Always best to deal directly with the shipper as UShip takes a big cut.

Try:

J&M Equipment
Melvin Simonds
(920) 261-2846
jsimonds@charter.net

He hauls a lot of classic cars around the country. If he can't do it, I'm sure he knows someone who can.
Tell him Christian from Minturn referred you.

Good luck.

Shipping will probably be expensive.

Yep, so far that's what I'm getting. Cheapest so far is still a road trip. And that may be the best way.

Just got the word from "she who must be obeyed" that I should go and get it unless something turns up real soon. So a long road trip may be what I will end up doing. I'll need to figure out where the holes need drilling in the bed of the 2000 4x4 Ranger to be ready to mount it.

I'm going to need some parts that it does not have Primarily the propane storage compartment pieces and two tanks, screen door (it's square top door), front window boot and maybe a Waeco 65 liter compressor fridge. Is that sort of stuff available in Denver? Lot of extra driving to go to California. Don't want it installed, I'll have to modify the camper before fitting it. But it might help to justify the trip to pick up parts on the way.

I've got an ATC Bobcat, which I believe is the FWC Eagle equivalent, as the ATC guys used to build FWC's.

And, I drive a Ranger, too.

So, I'm not sure any of these photos will help you but, here's what I've got.

Forward eyebolts are very far forward, within 2" of the forward truck bed panel. Rear eyebolts... I'll see if I can get a measurement on tuesday for you, or at least a better description, as that photo isn't all that great.

Marty at ATC drilled the holes for me when I was at their shop and placed my order (4+ weeks to when I returned to pick my ATC up). Marty made sure the holes were drilled where there was a double thickness of truck bed bottom.

Rubber mat from the hardware store, about 1/8" thick with ribs on the top side, kind of a sticky material, keeps the camper from moving. Not the full width of the truck bed, doesn't need to be. This photo was taken right before I removed my tailgate.

Partiallyunrolled.jpg

An underneath photo (looking forward, passenger side) of the eyebolt location and of the bracket from camper/truck bed to frame rail that I decided to make.

PassengerFrontCamperMount.jpg

Rear eyebolt and bracket from camper/truck bed to frame rail from underneath (looking towards the rear, passenger side).

PassengerRearCamperMount.jpg

I use these so, it's easy to remove the eyebolts when I have the camper off the truck. I can put my plastic bed liner back in, yet the truck bed/camper to frame rail brackets stay in place. Some think these are weak, however, I've never had an issue with these on any type of road. Plenty of threads, and they always take a bit of effort to loosen up, when I want to remove them.

QuickTies002.jpg

Depending on how the Eagle is made, you may need to bring a small sledge hammer with you to beat down the Ranger, rear Faux gas tank filler tube clearance that may be formed into your truck bed on the rear left side of the truck bed (I'm not sure that every Ranger has this feature, mine is a 2000, 4x4, Super Cab). Ford had thought about offering a second gas tank to be mounted in the position of where the spare tire is, under the rear truck bed. Officially, as far as I know, they never offered it, however, a Bronco II rear gas tank will fit in the space nicely, if you can figure out another place for the spare tire.

Here's the forward "real" gas tank filler tube clearance and the photo gives another idea of where the forward eyebolt is drilled.

ForwardGasTankFillerTubeClearance.jpg

Here's the rear Faux gas tank filler tube in the rear, after being beaten down and before re-painting, and, this photo also shows where the rear eyebolt is drilled.

RearGasTankFillerTubeClearanceModified.jpg

The guys at ATC gave me a choice when I placed my order, 1) they could leave the camper as it is normally built and I would have to beat down that rear Faux gas tank filler tube clearance, or 2) they could cut off the forward corner of the wide rear section of the floor pack where it would contact the rear faux gas tank filler tube clearance and place a piece of floor pack material over that cut off section. I needed the camper as originally built, as my porti-a-pottie sits in that space and I wanted every inch of it. So, I decided to beat the rear Faux gas tank filler tube clearance into submission (Marty started and then I finished the job). I'm pretty sure everyone watching was sure that I was going to knock a hole in my truckbed, but, it just stretched and stretched, no cracks, no slits and no holes.

Hope that makes sense. Once you see the camper in that back left corner area, you'll know if you have to do what I decided to do.

I hope that gives you some ideas.

For misc parts, part prices, pieces, and eye bolt locations you will need to call our service department and ask for Terry.

FWC SERVICE

ASK FOR TERRY

1-800-242-1442

If you have the camper serial number, the year of the camper, or the name of the original owner of the camper, I can probably get the eye bolts location measurements for you.

The FWC camper eye bolts are in different locations compared to the ATC's.

Some parts are easy to get, some parts are a bit more difficult for a shell model.

Aftermarket parts and pieces start to add up fast.

:(

(example: screen door -- the screen door can't be added, you would need to buy a new rear camper door that has the screen door built it to it).

If the camper was not built for a Ford Ranger, than you will need to cut the rear corner on the driver's side base, or add a sheet of plywood under the camper, or bang the extra gas filler hump down in the truck bed.

When we build a camper for a customer with a Ford Ranger or a small Mazda B-Serise we notch the camper base for proper fit.

You will probably need to get most parts and pieces from our factory here in Califronia.

The FWC dealers don't carry many camper parts and pieces in stock.

They just don't do enough service work to sit on misc. parts inventory that might not sell for years.

From Reno down to our show in Woodland (near Sacramento) it is approx. a 2 1/2 hour drive.

So it would add about 6 hours round trip to your drive.

But might be worth it in the big picture.

You can pick up the parts and pieces you need here without having to pay expensive shipping prices and the guys in our factory can give you a MUCH better idea on how the camper is framed, what it is framed for, what it is NOT framed for, and many other helpful tips and tricks.

The "empty shell model" four wheel camper has different camper framing compared to a loaded four wheel camper.

Hope this helps.

Have a fun and safe trip.

The weather out here in California is really nice this time of year.

I'll need to figure out where the holes need drilling in the bed of the 2000 4x4 Ranger to be ready to mount it.

I'm going to need some parts that it does not have Primarily the propane storage compartment pieces and two tanks, screen door (it's square top door), front window boot and maybe a Waeco 65 liter compressor fridge. Is that sort of stuff available in Denver? Lot of extra driving to go to California. Don't want it installed, I'll have to modify the camper before fitting it. But it might help to justify the trip to pick up parts on the way.

Attachments

• Camper Base Notched For Ford Ranger and Mazda #7.JPG
    Camper Base Notched For Ford Ranger and Mazda #7.JPG
    45.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Camper Base Notched For Ford Ranger and Mazda #10.jpg
    Camper Base Notched For Ford Ranger and Mazda #10.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 128
For misc parts, part prices, pieces, and eye bolt locations you will need to call our service department and ask for Terry.

If you have the camper serial number, the year of the camper, or the name of the original owner of the camper, I can probably get the eye bolts location measurements for you.

The FWC camper eye bolts are in different locations compared to the ATC's.

(example: screen door -- the screen door can't be added, you would need to buy a new rear camper door that has the screen door built it to it).

If the camper was not built for a Ford Ranger, than you will need to cut the rear corner on the driver's side base, or add a sheet of plywood under the camper, or bang the extra gas filler hump down in the truck bed.

You will probably need to get most parts and pieces from our factory here in California.

You can pick up the parts and pieces you need here without having to pay expensive shipping prices and the guys in our factory can give you a MUCH better idea on how the camper is framed, what it is framed for, what it is NOT framed for, and many other helpful tips and tricks.

The "empty shell model" four wheel camper has different camper framing compared to a loaded four wheel camper.

Yep, I'm working on a list of what to try and pick up in the bits and pieces department and will call Terry when I get that sorted. Save a lot on shipping and be sure to get what I need. Did one pass at a route today, looks like 2600 miles each way including Woodland. I've got to count up some other optional routes to decide. Worst is way more freeway than I like.

It's a 2007 Eagle Shell, don't have the serial yet, I think the seller is the original owner but not sure. I'm pretty sure it was built for a Toyota. I was aware of the bed problem on the Ranger. Any other surprises I need to watch out for or bring things to fix to be able to bring it back? Once I get it here all can be made right, though we will be out almost immediately using it as we modify.

The truck I have is a 2000 Ranger 4x4 supercab. It does have the opening cab window, to match to the sliding window this camper has in front. Then boot between and can AC and heat the camper from the cab while driving, I have done that for years with the Leer high top canopy that's on the truck. One of my tasks is to take that off before I leave. It's not light and most certainly would be in the way :)

I'd not want to do any banging down the bed as it's nicely Linex-ed. How much would I have to raise the camper off the bed to clear? I could just bring planks to do that to get it back to Georgia to do a proper job on trimming the camper. Or maybe just bring a saw and finish when I get back. Thanks for the photos on that.

I'll be getting the camper on the way through Reno and then come on down to FWC once it's mounted. So want to drill the holes before I leave here. He's supposed to have a eye bolt set for it.

The screen door is essential in Georgia unless you want to be carried off by the little buggers. They are very thick here right now. This shell has the square topped door. What's the chances of getting a round top door that I can fit? (I know some rebuilding of the rear wall would be needed for that, though I might could machine pieces out of starboard to modify the opening) One way or another it will get a screen door even if I have to build one from scratch.

I was aware the framing is different and could create problems. My aluminum welding is awful but otherwise I'm not worried about making mods work. Assuming nothing blows this all up I expect to be out there probably toward the end of next week or maybe a few days longer, depends on just when I get away, this trip is coming together in a rush. I know the Valley well, My Vietnam era military experience was in Fresno and I grew up in the NW. I've roamed the outback west extensively. Every trip is a chance to get my wide open spaces fix again, the east is mostly forest. And I'm hoping to beat the snow in the Rockies, last time I was out I had to delay for 6" of snow to melt N of Boulder, and that was mid June!

Thanks Alley-Kat for the photos and description. All the info helps, don't want to arrive 2500 miles from here and not have brought some bit I needed. I've the same year supercab 4x4 Ranger, mine is the 3 liter version. So the photos look very familiar. Also nice to have someone with the exact same truck to confirm it works with the camper :)

As far as the bed, mine is Linex coated, so I won't bang it down and mess that up. Modify the camper instead, not much would have to come off.

I have a 1/4" thick rubber bed floor liner that came with the truck (not the full bed liner, this is a flat sheet for the floor only that's custom cut to fit the shape of the floor) Been wondering if that was a good idea or not to put under the camper. The Linex was sprayed with anti skid bumps which might be enough to keep the camper from moving around. Linex is very hard, not soft, and very permanent.

I have the LineX liner with the rubber bed matt on top on mine. Works fine and I think it helps with any movement.....mine hasn't budged at all. Like you mentioned, the LineX isn't that sticky.

Well, tomorrow I head clear cross country to pick up the Eagle, parts for the Eagle at FWC, and maybe a cat who will be a companion on the way back, a extra bed warmer is always welcome as the shell has no heat. Combining everything made it more worthwhile with the combined shipping costs helping to pay for the 5200mi trip.

With nothing in the bed, not even the tailgate, the Ranger cab is sure crowded, going to be boondocking to save money. And with it's new springs and shocks holding up almost no weight, it may not be the most comfortable trip on the way west, and the rear is very slightly higher than the front. It's much better with at least a few hundred lbs in the bed. The new springs are progressive design, and max out at 500lbs more than the original springs did when new. Even more so against the old worn out springs. Going to be interesting seeing how it all settles with the Eagle on there.

Well, I'm a few blocks from FWC, go for stuff to add on tomorrow when they open. I'm one day ahead of my expected timing.

It's not safe to sleep in your truck cab in a rest stop on I-40 in the Texas panhandle, even if properly parked. Woke from sound sleep in the middle of the night to a thump and truck shaking. A student from Kentucky turned too soon when backing out of the parking slot beside mine. What's important? Will the truck bed still fit the camper? That's what I looked at first. Turns out it did. It's going to be an adventure with the various insurance companies and insured scattered across the country. But the rest stop had WiFi so got the report to my insurance done on the spot. Now my insurance co keeps trying to catch up with where I am. Good thing the Eagle was not on there then.

The fantastic thing, my 3.0 L 4x4 Ranger got 28.5 mpg going clear across the country, home to Reno, roughly 2600 mi. Never, ever had it do anything like that good. Basically did the double nickel all the way. Gas prices stayed down until Nevada/California. And first fill since getting the Eagle on and playing all over the Sierras came out at 24.7 mpg. Be nice if that keeps up. (My new Garmin Nuvi 3590 reads direct from the engine computer, so I have instant tracking)

Went last night for a first night in the Sierras. If the name of the place is Ice House Reservoir and Campground and the road to it is also Ice House Rd. Then it's a hint, it's going to be a cold night. And the Eagle does not have heat yet, but I had plenty blankets. A good first night. It's huge compared to my Leer shell it replaced.

The Eagle is in beautiful shape, and the previous owner is a very good carpenter. Beautiful inside mods too. Going to be a shame modifying it for our uses. I gotta do as well as I see.

Had the differences for a Eagle made for a Toyota and one for a Ranger from FWC. What FWC did not tell me the tight clearance between the rear wider side part of the Eagle and the Ranger's bed. Only about 1/4" each side. I'm wondering if that varies in the Eagle.

Ranger loves the Eagle. Settled on it's new heavy duty springs and shocks the same height front and back. And rides so smooth with the weight on it.

Great to hear your news.

Fantastic gas mileage with your 3.0L, V6.
The best I can do is about 21 mpg with my 4.0L, V6 and going slow, checking my ScanGuage II (engine computer connected, too).

My ATC Bobcat is about the same... 1/4" on each side in the back.
That makes loading the camper a precision event, but, I was only "iffy' about doing it the first few times, now it's easy.

Great to hear your news.

Fantastic gas mileage with your 3.0L, V6.
The best I can do is about 21 mpg with my 4.0L, V6 and going slow, checking my ScanGuage II (engine computer connected, too).

My ATC Bobcat is about the same... 1/4" on each side in the back.
That makes loading the camper a precision event, but, I was only "iffy' about doing it the first few times, now it's easy.

FWC said the clearance was normal. Watch those guys doing it. Had to pull the camper partially off to put in the front boot today. Very effective at that.

The Eagle is stuffed with new stuff for me to install when I get back. Complete bits for propane compartment including tanks regulator and so on. Waco 65 fridge, Replacement screen door equipped round topped door to replace the square top screenless one, with the bits for the changeover. Got a big discount on that as they had one that had been installed on a camper before they realized it swung the wrong way. So new, but with the marks on the screwholes. 110 volt plugin with pigtail, rear steps, 12 volt connection to replace the older design it had, Outside part of the shower unit, 20 gallon water tank, with outside connections. New set of curtains and curtain rails. All that saved a whole bunch of shipping cost. Elsewhere off ebay I got the charger for the battery I'll be adding and a 300 watt inverter for small stuff like laptops and cameras.

Out in their demo area I photographed the aluminum skeleton, not the same model as mine but a lot of info about how they frame things. Also photographed a few details on complete campers to help in installing the stuff above. It's like a candy shop with all the campers under production.

The Ranger's amazing gas mileage has dropped off. In two fills I've gotten 24.7mpg and 22.3mpg which seems good for hauling the camper. That's mostly city type driving and with the jacks still on, I removed the jacks tonight which should reduce drag a little, though not weight as they are in the Eagle. Will get more interesting as I head for the home leg tomorrow. Other than a empty truck the other part of the mpg coming out was sticking to double nickel and it's on basically freeway. Coming back I plan somewhat less freeway, especially if I'm carrying the new cat. Don't think he'd like the constant trucks blasting past. I don't care for them.

Quite an adventure Walt! So with all that new stuff crammed inside are you able to cook and sleep and such? Travel safe and have fun! We look forward to hearing more details of your adventure.

Quite an adventure Walt! So with all that new stuff crammed inside are you able to cook and sleep and such? Travel safe and have fun! We look forward to hearing more details of your adventure.

Well, the Eagle has landed, back home now.

The Eagle is a shell model, I want to cook I'll have to put in equipment first ;-) It, however, has a sleeping platform as well as the upper queen bed, so sleeping has plenty of place. As I put in the appliances and stuff the lower sleeping platform will get modified probably ending as a wide fold down couch instead of full width as it is now.

The fun part of coming back was the third part of the trip. I've been looking for a Ocicat as a pet for some time, as long as the FWC. These are entirely domestic cats that have wild looking spots, and generally excellent personality but it's a uncommon breed so hard to find in the color variation I wanted. In this case, just by luck a breeder about 20 minutes from FWC had one, not a kitten, but only 1 1/2 years old. not that I care, but in his first year's shows he had made it to grand champion and 3rd regional Ocicat kitten in last year's season, he was headed high in the show circuit. But as that season went on he became more and more afraid of strangers and finally they had to give up showing him. The breeder was very attached to him and I spent quite a few hours talking my way into having him, both before and after getting there. So, last thing out there after FWC I did some fitting in the camper, removed the jacks and went to try for the cat (a huge stress experience). As a result my trip was blessed with GC,RW Dotdotdot I'm on Fire of Wild Rain (his official full name), who's short name for now is Fire, but we will probably come up with a new name. He started the trip back with me very scared and crying his head off and I spent the trip getting him to accept me. Which pretty much confined me to the truck and camper for the rest of the trip. Amazingly, by the time I got home, much of his fear had gone and he's doing well in our home. Fantastic, beautiful cat has joined our family. Here's a link to the breeder's page, best photo they managed:
http://ocicat.wildrain.tripod.com/wildrainocicats/id9.html
This is the second time I've crossed the country in a poptop camper with cats. Last time was in a Toyota Chinook we used to have. Our two Abbys came with us as we moved from the Northwest to the Atlanta area. This is a first in getting to know one as I travel.

On the Eagle, all I've gotten done so far is buy some foam so we have comfortable sleeping on the lower deck. Not done anything about the upper bed, but it's thin pads will have to be improved, I have slept on them, looks like I'm limited to 3.5" there. Now for the big bit. We are going into using it, I've already camped across the country in it, mostly boondocking. but at the same time the redesign and build begins. Waco Refridge, Propane system, 110 volt & 12 volt system will be first round in the rear corner with the battery system front center. It just has lights (which I've changed to LED bulbs) and a fantastic fan, all running off the truck plugin. So independent battery setup to do, and eventually, but not right away, solar too. this and water tank in the front lower center. Going for a Propex HS2800 heater, which needs to be done soon with winter coming. Yet to decide exactly where it will be fitted. Got to put in water tank, with pump, primarily to support a shower. Heat for shower water will come from a small tankless hot water heater, which will run off the propane and water tank too, not decided on model there. I'll be putting in a microwave, powered primarily off a inverter, that I have from a previous camper. Also already have a porta potti here. When that's all done our primary needs for the Eagle will be met. But there is also rear wall steps and other little bits. It's a work and design in progress. FWC provided the shell, the previous owner some mods, now for the next round fitting it to us.

BTW, on the trip back using the more demanding US 50 and US 78 instead of the easier freeways, and playing for a weekend in the Sierras. And loaded with Eagle, the fridge, a new 2nd door to add a screen door, propane stuff and bits and pieces from FWC, so near dry weight (and the cat) the Ranger managed 23 mpg. Better than I expected. Sounding good for economy. The heavy duty springs I'd put in carry the Eagle very well. It's already been in a few rough roads on the way east and handles it all well. We are eager kids with a new toy.

Back
Top Bottom