Looking for Eastern Sierra Fishing Spot

murphy744

Advanced Member
I'm planning a little trout fishing trip over the 4th of July weekend. I'm real familiar with most spots from Lone Pine, CA to Bishop. Last couple of years we did Coyote Flats and Monache Meadows. Because the trip is planned over the busy 4th weekend, coupled with the fact that getting into Coyote or Monache requires about 2 hrs travel after leaving the pavement, I'm looking for an alternative.

Does anyone know of some off the beat and path spots north of Bishop (lakes or streams), within 1 to 1 1/2 hours that won't be teaming with people :mad: ?

Both vehicles in the group are high clearance 4x4's if that helps :D

I don't know a whole lot about fishing spots. I did however recently get back from a weekend camping at the Tinemaha campground which had a stream/creek that did have fish in it and people were catching some. Tinemaha reservoir did have fish too. South lake near Sabrina was empty but the creek downstream had a some people fishing. Great weather until we got to Saline last Sunday and it was 101 and windy. Now that I type this I'm getting the urge to hit the road again.

Yep fished Tinemaha, pretty good spot too. Unfortunately, July at that elevation is really hot. South Lake and Sabrina are great too, but full of people. I'm started to think it's back into Coyote. Even Monache gets crowded.

Virginia Lakes are a nice high elevation spot, and there is dry camping along some of the roads that loop back towards 395 off of the main road up to the lakes. Fishing is supposed to be decent there, although I had no luck. We were there right after 4th of July last year, and the high elevation and cooler temps were a welcome relief.

MotoDave said:
Virginia Lakes are a nice high elevation spot, and there is dry camping along some of the roads that loop back towards 395 off of the main road up to the lakes. Fishing is supposed to be decent there, although I had no luck. We were there right after 4th of July last year, and the high elevation and cooler temps were a welcome relief.
Thanks Dave, I will check it out

Back
Top Bottom