looking for Four Wheel Camper

I posted this thread on the all terrain forum but meant to post it here. We have a 1500 dodge quad cab, regular bed and want to buy a used Four Wheel Camper. We will travel to look at one (and hopefully purchase) but would prefer it not be too far from Oklahoma. I think it's the hawk that fits our truck but are there other models that would work as well? I'm trying to search Craigslist but is there a way to search all cities in one search?

No way to search all the cities that I know of. The Hawk is for a full size short bed truck and the Grandby is for a long bed, but will work on the short bed. The pre 1990 campers will not fit newer trucks (2000 on?) check the FWC website for better info on camper fit, and always check the measurments of any camper you are considering.

Good luck.

I'm trying to search Craigslist but is there a way to search all cities in one search?

Crazedlist.org will allow you to search as many cities as you select.

You can also go to Google, type in Four Wheel Camper Craigslist, and it will pull up any recent listings on CL, from all over the country.

will this fit our truck?

Would a 1983 fourwheel eagle fit our 2000 dodge 1500 quad cab, regular bed? I know it's not specifically made for it but would it work with some modifications?

eagle

You would have to build a base under the camper so that it would clear the side rails of the truck. It would also be a pain to take on and off. You would have to put extensions on the jacks so that you would clear the truck in trying to take it on and off. The Eagle is only 69" total width at the part of the camper that is usually over the rails of the truck.

Would a 1983 fourwheel eagle fit our 2000 dodge 1500 quad cab, regular bed? I know it's not specifically made for it but would it work with some modifications?

if the eagle doesn;t work out for you can you send me the info on it.

daveandb@telusplanet.net

Double check the date or the model. The Eagle did not come until later. It might be a Fleet model. I heard some of those came with a base on them.

Double check the date or the model. The Eagle did not come until later. It might be a Fleet model. I heard some of those came with a base on them.

good catch pvstoy :D

Would a fit our 2000 dodge 1500 quad cab, regular bed? I know it's not specifically made for it but would it work with some modifications?

Dear Travis and Marla--

We have several very talented individual members of this forum who have rebuilt campers. It is a lot of work, and they seemed to love doing it.

I thought about doing that, too. I like to make things, and I would have loved it, if I had had the free time to devote. Instead, I researched, researched, researched what range of camper model and year would work well with my truck, and I waited as patiently as I could to get one.

It turned out that for the cost of a 5000 mile trip, I was able to find the *perfect* camper for us.

Be patient and faithful, and you will get what you desire.

Thanks for posting your trip report. I was charmed, and hope to meet you some day.

Mark

thanks

Thanks Mark,
We are trying to be patient, it's hard because we need to find one before our next trip in Janurary. What do you think of the 2006 kestrel/hawk model that joelg31 has to sell? It seems like it should fit out truck except for the 3" height difference??? We don't mind driving but California's a long way when our next trip is to Florida and we just got back from the pacific coast! We had the same problem when looking for our Casita. I thought we'd never find one to even look at when one came up for sale 75 miles away. The ad was posted about 10pm, I sent an email, the next morning we drove, saw and bought! We love our Casita and have even lived in it off and on since we sold our home in March but it just doesn't fit our travel needs right now. We love the simplicity of the fourwheel and would even consider a shell model. I get on the internet several times a day searching every site I know of looking...looking....looking for a fourwheel camper hopefully we will find one soon, glad you enjoyed the trip report and photo's. Thanks again, Marla

Have you sent an email to Stan at FWC?

He may be aware of a used one as sometimes people trade in an older one for a newer one. They may have one at the factory or a lead on one about to come in.

I found mine on RVTraderonline.com. My FWC purchase happened very much like your Casita story. RVHunter.com is a decent source too. It seems like there are used ones being posted here quite often.

I hope you can continue to be patient. Not to bum you out, but it took me 2 years of regularly searching, but I have an odd truck and I live in the middle of nowhere. Rest assured, your FWC is making its way to you.

Hello TravisandMarla

I don't know of many used campers for sale right now.

The used Kestrel in Colorado seems like the best camper going right now for your truck (considering price, age, distance of the used campers available).

Most people will take some 2x4's and make a retangular frame approx. 48" wide x 72" long and cover it with a 3/8" sheet of plywood.

Just drop that in the truck bed before you put the Kestrel Model in. Outside of that, the camper fit should be just fine.

We can sell you the full camper installation kit & w/ mounting instructions (wiring, eye bolts, fuses, instructions, etc.) for around $ 100.00 + a few bucks for shipping.

You will want to have at least the eye bolts in your truck bed when you go to pick it up, just to be safe. I don't think his camper has a camper jacks or jack brackets mounted on the 4 corners, so installing the eye bolts in your truck bed ahead of time would be best !

Just let us know if you have any other questions.

We would be gald to help.

===============================================

I posted this thread on the all terrain forum but meant to post it here. We have a 1500 dodge quad cab, regular bed and want to buy a used Four Wheel Camper. We will travel to look at one (and hopefully purchase) but would prefer it not be too far from Oklahoma. I think it's the hawk that fits our truck but are there other models that would work as well? I'm trying to search Craigslist but is there a way to search all cities in one search?

The Kestrel is a Hawk modified to fit on a pre-2007 Toyota Tundra with 6' bed. The modification is necessary as The Tundra bed is 3” less deep compared to Ford/Chev/Dodge. This makes interior height 3 inches less than a Hawk.

Here's the 'rub'-- Often Edna and I find ourselves pulling over on the side of the road or into a Walmart and getting some shut-eye. If our camper was three inches less tall, it would be difficult to do this.

There are plenty of Tacoma owners looking for a Four Wheel Camper. January is a long way off. (Where are you going?)

Remember, have patience AND faith. ;)

just something to keep in mind ...

the Kestrel Model still has about 6' 3" of headroom inside the camper. This is about the same amount of headroom inside the camper as most any of the older Hawk Models built in 2004, 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, 1999, etc.

so with the top down, there is still plenty of room to crawl inside and flip the couch / bed out at a rest stop to catch some shut eye.

If you were looking at an Eagle Model, I would say that would be a different story. The Eagle model is quite a bit narrower and less room inside when the top is down and closed.

hope this helps

===================================================

Here's the 'rub'-- Often Edna and I find ourselves pulling over on the side of the road or into a Walmart and getting some shut-eye. If our camper was three inches less tall, it would be difficult to do this.

There are plenty of Tacoma owners looking for a Four Wheel Camper. January is a long way off. (Where are you going?)

Remember, have patience AND faith. ;)

thanks!!!

Thanks to everyone replying to my posts, it really helps......great information. Mark, we are going to be traveling the coast of Florida starting in the panhandle, down to the keys, up the atlantic side and probably up to Washington DC. We have no reservations and fly by the seat of our pants so I hope we can find someplace to stay when we need to. Our plan is if we can't find a place to sleep.....keep driving!
Stan, I appreciate the info on the campers, so you think the kestrel model would work for us? What exactly is the height difference down and up?

I've camped at Long Point which is a county park and was never full throughout September. It might be different in January, but you can always call. Nice place.

Also there was a really nice park in Orlando, Turkey Lake.

Check 'em out...

Back
Top Bottom