Looking For Ideas

crazybill

Advanced Member
So......I want to mount a couple solar panels to my recently acquired Alaskan camper. In the past I've had very good results using aluminum angle bolted to the frames of the panels and adhering them to the roof of the camper with marine grade adhesive/sealant from 3M. Real good stuff and very UV resistant.
I found that the aluminum skin on the roof of the Alaskan isn't bonded to the substrate at all, so if I glue the panels to the roof the result wouldn't be very secure. I suspect the buffeting when driving would create all sorts of problems.
So I need an alternative method of attaching the panels. They are framed panels roughly 2' by 4' . I already have them so that is what I am working with.
I really don't want to screw them to the roof. More chances to get leaks and I have no way to be sure of exactly what I'm screwing into. So that pretty much leaves me with building a roof rack.
Any thoughts? Light weight designs?
Steel- easy to work with (I can weld it or braze it) but gotta watch out for galvanic corrosion. Aluminum- light but harder to work. Stainless- costly
Any thoughts, ideas or designs would be appreciated. Pictures would be a plus.
This is a boondock camper and I gotta get those solar panels on it. I would make them portable but I have no room to store them.
-Bill-

Edit: I did look at other posts on this but most have the brackets on the fore and aft walls of the top section. On my 10' C/O that would make for a looong span, so I kinda favor side mounted brackets. Also I am going to mount both panels toward the right side. The top comes down unevenly favoring the left side dropping faster, I cleaned the slides/guides of all the old gunk and used a dry teflon lube on all the guides. Still comes down left side first. So I'm hoping some added weight on the right helps.

Hi Bill:

See my thread here: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/11452-engel-12-volt-refrigerator-in-1966-8-nco/ for a description, with photos, of how I added two 100 watt solar panels to my 8' NCO Alaskan using aluminum angle stock mounted to the front and rear boat rack brackets. A few months later I added rubber pucks in the middle of the lengthwise aluminum angle brackets to minimize their flexing.

Later improvements to the interior are discussed here: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/13817-2016-improvements-to-1966-8%E2%80%99-nco/

The two 100 watts solar panels have fully powered the Engel 12 volt marine refrigerator when in use during the past two years. Two flexible LED lamps nicely illuminate the interior at night.

Hope my improvements and solar panel installation give you some good ideas for your 10' cab over.

Best boondocking regards,

Fred

When building your initial framing, might I suggest you use square extruded tube as it will be less likely to flex?
Then no need for the bumpers to be flexing the roof seams?

Fred, thanks for your ideas. I have looked at your posts and there are some good thoughts.
I have had two other campers on this truck. Both had 200 watts of solar panels. More than enough for my needs. Because of this the truck already has two 6 volt batteries in the truck bed that act as the camper battery. Frees up some room in the camper itself.
-Bill-

PackRat said:
When building your initial framing, might I suggest you use square extruded tube as it will be less likely to flex?
Then no need for the bumpers to be flexing the roof seams?
Thanks PackRat. That's a good point. More support.

Wow! That was a long read. Thanks Rusty. Lots to think about there.
I don't really like the idea of putting a rack on top and giving away any profile height. But I need those panels up there and still don't want to add any roof penetrations.
Going to have to think about all this.
-Bill-

Back
Top Bottom