Looking for information on the Prince Rupert Alaska ferry stop

smlobx

Lost again
We are planning our trip to AK next summer and we’re planning on taking the Alaska Ferry from Prince Rupert to Haines but there is “some” information that the Alaska ferry may not be operating out of Prince Rupert next summer.

I was hoping that maybe some of our BC members might be able to shed some light on this topic.

Thanks.

That would be a major issue.
The only other connection would be from
Bellingham ,Washington.Not a big problem but it would add extra
cost to the trip.It's 3 nights from Bellingham to Haines.
There are 2 ship choices the Kennicott twice a month on Saturdays,
with a ship transfer in Juneau.
Or the Columbia every Friday. Or at least that was the schedule.
From your area to Bellingham to pick up a ferry would be less driving
then to drive to Pr Rupert.

I don't know what has gotten in the minds of the Alaskan legislature.
They don't want to support the system IMO.

The Pr.Rupert stop was always a good way to start/finish a trip north.
We have taken the BC ferry Northern Expedition from Port Hardy as a different way to head north
to Pr.Rupert then transfer to the Alaskan ferry.

It will be interesting to hear what is the answer to your question.
Frank

I just did a sailing search and didn't find anything past April.
We would make our reservations around the last of Jan or Feb.That has worked out.
Rigs like ours are easy to get a spot for.

You should give them a call 1 800 642 0066.
That might be the best place to get the future info.
Frank

Thanks folks.
The information listed is pretty much all I’ve been able to find out.
we placed a call into the Prince Rupert Chamber of Commerce to see if they had any further info but had to leave a message and so far have not received any response.

It sounds very political to me but that’s the nature of our governments today. If this remains closed it will be detrimental to not only Prince Rupert but also the ferry system and the smaller towns it serves along the Inside Passage...

I’ll update if we find any further information...

smlobx said:
Thanks folks.
The information listed is pretty much all I’ve been able to find out.
we placed a call into the Prince Rupert Chamber of Commerce to see if they had any further info but had to leave a message and so far have not received any response.

It sounds very political to me but that’s the nature of our governments today. If this remains closed it will be detrimental to not only Prince Rupert but also the ferry system and the smaller towns it serves along the Inside Passage...

I’ll update if we find any further information...
Thanks Eddie.Hope this doesn't change your plans very much.
You still have the Bellingham ,Wa. departure as a backup.
Frank

Thanks. That schedule is a bit confusing but staying with it it
works out.
I think the best plan would be to call and talk to someone
at AMHS.

I find it hard that they could drop the Rupert stop.IMO
Frank

Hi folks.
I thought I’d update this thread in case anyone is considering something similar

The departures from Prince Rupert has been cancelled for 2020 as far as I can tell. This was due to a variety of issues including funding, port facilities and customs issues.

We had/have a reservation from Bellingham WA. Originally our departure was on June 5th. Last night I received an email and phone call that due to Covid-19 and funding issues all departures for the month of June have been cancelled...We were automatically rebooked for departure on July 3rd. I called them today and discussed the situation. The gentleman I talked to was very apologetic and said we could either accept the rebook, change the date or get a full refund, all without penalty. He was very helpful in explaining all the options.

While we have a bit of time to consider our options I think we are leaning on forgoing the inside passage portion of the trip and when the Canadian/US border opens up perhaps we can leave towards the end of May as originally planned.

Time will tell...

On another note I also found out that Denali will be closed until June 15th. We have reservations to spend about a week there starting June 28th so say a little prayer for us...

That's great what AMH is offering.We had similar plans only it was a European
trip that was on right now.That was canceled changed to Oct with the option of a future cancel.
We gave all that a lot of thought and on what my daughter who lives in Barcelona saw as limited access there
we canceled the whole trip.Our full money was refunded.

Getting out and about this year sure doesn't look good.
Even if traveling is open what about areas where you will be?
It's a hard choice.
Good luck.
Frank

We had plans for traveling into Alberta and then over to Whistler to meet up with another family. They cancelled Whistler so we have pretty much decided that Canada is out for this year. Darn! But probably the right decision. I guess we’ll have to be satisfied with the in-laws in Oregon...as long as they don’t put up checkpoints on Hwy 97 to keep out the Californians.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
We had plans for traveling into Alberta and then over to Whistler to meet up with another family. They cancelled Whistler so we have pretty much decided that Canada is out for this year. Darn! But probably the right decision. I guess we’ll have to be satisfied with the in-laws in Oregon...as long as they don’t put up checkpoints on Hwy 97 to keep out the Californians.
I understand the Hwy 97 roadblocks to keep out the Schludwiller beer from California have been extended to keep out escapees from further south. :p

Paul

True, there are a number of travel restrictions and precautions by individual Provincial and Territorial orders across the country. These are quite independent of the current international border closures set to expire ~May 20. See here for official BC, tho I believe there might also be some inprovincial check points, perhaps not sanctioned by the Prov authorities.

Of interest to me in that Yukon link is the exemption for travellers thru to get home (24hr limit). I wonder if an expanded version of this type of allowance might be part of the transition back to more normal times. For eg. yes transit permitted from one part of a country to another for the then purpose of recreation but travel done so as quickly as possible.

Many of us RV/campers carry the gear to sleep and cook in isolation along with at least a few days food. And we might be able to get set up for more in cab comfort and fuel range. All for possible longer days driving and limiting stops. Trips would be more destination orientated than tours.

Not the way I usually roll, but it would be a start ...

Klahanie thanks for the links.
I’ll keep a close eye on the situation since it looks like at this point, everything is locked down until May 31...

Back
Top Bottom