Looking for suggestions on an adjustable countertop

nmhurley

I'm trying to come up with a solution for something in the camper and need to bounce it off of some people to see if they have any ideas.

I want to add some additional counter space above where I store the cooler. I also still want to be able to open the cooler fully so I have full access. This means that the counter will have to raise and lower. I will need it lowered (or removed, but prefer lowered) when the camper top is down and then I need it to raise about 6" so I have full access to the cooler.

Here is an image to help you understand.
Capture2.JPG

One solution would be to use some kind of closet storage that could be easily raised and lowered like below. But I would like to try to come up with something that is always connected and you can just raise and lower it as necessary. Kind of like a standing desk thing.

Capture.JPG

Any ideas?

Simplest way is with wood. If you look under an old kitchen table you no doubt will see that to add the leaf one pulls the table apart on sliding dovetails. Two blocks. If you find these in a restoration catalog or even at WoodCraft or Lee Valley. The dovetail slide could easily be drilled to accept a peg to hold the top up at a number of different height. These two sliding dovetail blocks are attached (3M tape or screws) to wall behind the cooler. The table top can be mounted on top. The table top would then rise to any height, be removed from the dovetail channel or lowered to sit on the cooler or flip it and reverse dovetail sides it can sit under the cooler. Less weight. easy storage. Good looking.

nmhurley said:
I'm trying to come up with a solution for something in the camper and need to bounce it off of some people to see if they have any ideas.

I want to add some additional counter space above where I store the cooler. I also still want to be able to open the cooler fully so I have full access. This means that the counter will have to raise and lower. I will need it lowered (or removed, but prefer lowered) when the camper top is down and then I need it to raise about 6" so I have full access to the cooler.

Here is an image to help you understand.
attachicon.gif
Capture2.JPG

One solution would be to use some kind of closet storage that could be easily raised and lowered like below. But I would like to try to come up with something that is always connected and you can just raise and lower it as necessary. Kind of like a standing desk thing.

attachicon.gif
Capture.JPG

Any ideas?
We love our Lagun table mount.
https://www.marineteak.co.uk/lagun-adjustable-swivelling-cockpit-table-mounting-system-331

We use it for our side dinette table. But I think it would adapt to this use.

If you only need it to go up and down making a mount like the lagun would not be hard.
Another option would be using an acme screw assembly to raise and lower; finding a hospital bed table would be easiest.

I picked up a chair from a local Habitat for Humanity. Just going to remove the chair, add an extension to make it tall enough and I think it should work. I'll post photos when done.

chair1.jpgchair 2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom