lookn at a dodge 2500 sd hemi, manual 4x4

Freelheeler

Advanced Member
It may be time to sell the Ranger II and up size the tundra, wife brought home a 3rd golden retriever and we were already at capacity. So we are shopping... I like the idea of a diesel but just can't seem to justify the expense.
  • weekend warrior rig, 2-3 night out, within a 500 mile radius
  • 75% forest service and trail driving
  • cost of diesel and maintenance
  • rare for us to take 600 plus mile trips
  • weight of the front end
  • live in cold weather climate and during the winter we take a lot of short trips 10 miles or less to access skiing and snowmobiling
  • etc
So i've researched and looked, I'd like to maximize fuel efficiency (manual), heavy duty suspension, ground clearance (-chevy/gmc), solid front end, etc. Again we drive a lot of rough 2 track road and trails with the weight of our camper, that's what the wife likes to do, get away from people. I pretty much think the dodge power wagon would be a sweet setup but in the end 10 mpg on the highway would just bother me. So i'd hope to build a similiar setup that'd get between 14-16... hopefully. I maintain my equipment but it does get used hard therefore I'm not wanting to buy new.

thoughts???

I know this isn't appples-to-apples, but I drove from the SF Bay Area to Park City, UT and back in my RAM 1500 4x4 Hemi with a Grandby and averaged 16.1 (according to the on-board computer). That included following many dirt roads on the way to Utah and a big chunk of driving west on Hwy 80 at 70 MPH with a huge headwind.

I drive a Dodge with a Grandby, albeit a diesel, and I've never seen the MPG display on one anywhere close to accurate, gassers included. Do the math and you'll find it's about 3MPG optimistic. Mine consistently says 19 ~20 with the camper on at 62mph (where I like to drive). Doing the math at filling stations
equates to 16 ~ 17 mpg. I'm not complaining, it's a big heavy truck so that works just fine for me. Just don't kid yourself the displayed MPG is accurate.

An ok place to get an idea what a certain brand/model vehicle is doing milage wise and city/highway percent usage is here:

http://www.fuelly.com/car/

IMO, unless your theoretical diesel is mostly dedicated to camper hauling/tripping or you don't have another regular need for the power/capacity go gas. In the earlier days of diesel pickups the fuel economy margin between them and gas made them rather attractive. In the newer ones that's less so. Something we have found at work in our fleet is the second hardest thing on the diesel pickups is driving them like a car in town, thus we have fewer than we used to. I will say though that the diesels we still use on average are the most repair free, cheapest per mile vehicles we have, aqusition cost not withstanding. That includes regular use on crap roads, s**t roads and no roads. For what it's worth I had recent, brief foray into a new Dodge 2500 with the Hemi. Great power. great 4x4 capacity, comfortable inside and very comfortable to drive overall. Best milage I saw was 13mpg near empty.

Personally I have a big old diesel and a little gas pickup.

Good luck and best wishes in your decision.

interesting responses thus far...

Figured folks would be weighing in Ford vs Dodge vs Chevy? Is Dodge the clear choice? I've been a Toyota freak since I was 18 and figured you could build them into whatever you needed. I've never been much of a fan of Dodge's, but here I am considering buying one.

Dodges are cheaper and if you go diesel you get a cummins that comes with it. Hard for me weigh in as I keep my vehicles a long time. I don't get the opportunity to experience the other brands much.

I'll weigh in again about Dodge. I was never a Dodge fan before I bought mine. I had always owned Chevy's and GMC trucks. My last GMC was the most unreliable piece of crap I ever owned, I swore off GM trucks. I never considered a full size Toyota or a Nissan truck as I felt they're just underbuilt, and didn't offer a diesel. That left Ford or Dodge. I love the Ford body style and interiors, but even today, they still haven't figured out their diesel engines. That left Dodge with the Cummins. The legendary reliability of the Cummins is really why I bought the Dodge. Dodge trucks have crappy interiors and the body style is dated. At the time, late 2007, Dodge was virtually giving their 07's away and they were the last of the 5.9 no smog diesels. I now have about 110K on the truck and it's been 100% reliable. I've added a Kore Recon suspension, Carli long travel airbags and just put on a set of Rancho 9000XL adjustable shocks. I have one ball joint that's a little loose, so this year sometime I'll be replacing all of them with Carli ball joints. I figure I'll get another 200K miles out of it before I need to worry about anything :).

My highway mileage has been in the 13 to 14 MPG range with 1400 lb dry Hawk on full time. My best mileage was 16 driving through Yellowstone at 45 MPH. The newer GMs with the six speed transmission have really helped the gas mileage compared to the previous 4 speed.

No personal experience with the Rams, but after watching friends battle seemingly endless problems with front end issues and death wobbles I'm glad I have the IFS.

We have an 05 dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 hemi with an auto trans. at work. Most of our driving is around town and it gets about 9 mpg. Once I took it from Sacramento to Portland and it got about 11-12 mpg. Towing a trailer and small tractor weighing about 7,000# total it got about 6 mpg on the freeway. We also bought a '13 ford f350 supercab 4x4 6.2 gasser with a shortbed service body and it doesn't get much better mpg.

I did have some front end issues with my truck. Did the usual upgrades, new ball joints and now all is good. Does seem particular on what tires I run. Other than that I've had the fuel pump replaced under warranty and put in a new alternator. In ten years I don't think thats too bad.

I've had two different 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 diesels. I loved the first one so much that I bought a second with a quad cab due to an impending baby. With the 2005 you don't have any smog crap (except for a catalytic converter) and no DEF. With my first 2005 I had 140k miles when I sold it and it had the original brakes and had over 50% more to go. I change my oil every six months or every 7,000 miles, whichever comes first. I keep them stock for the most part, but I just ordered a 2 micron bypass fuel filter and a fuel tank vent kit so I can get 3-4 more gallons when I fill up (can't have too much fuel!). With both trucks I've never had a single big issue. The only common issue between the two is the mult-function switch (turn signals, brights, etc.) and the radio. For mileage the overhead will lie to you all day long. Mine says 21-22 mpg half the time, but hand calculated it gets 17-18 mpg running I-5 at 78 mph. If you can keep it at 65 it'll get 19-20 mpg. If mileage isn't a big deal to you the Hemi will be fine, but I image it will get really bad mileage with a FWC in the bed and towing a heavy trailer.

If you want a diesel try to find one of the earlier models with the 5.9 HO that only has the catalytic converter on it. I think these are 2003 to early 2006. I'd stay far away from the newer models with the 6.7 and the particulate filer. There's a reason why the cubic inches increased from 5.9 to 6.7 when they added the filter!

I've been looking at the diesels but the wife just will not allow it, noise, exhaust, expense...

I hope to take the dodge for a spin sometime this week... I've also been looking at the f250 v8 (1999-2002) and chevy/gmc 2500 hd (2001-02). It appears all the gassers get about the same mpg= shitty... but on average are about $5k cheaper than their diesel counter parts.

The only reason I'm interested in this particular dodge is that its a manual. Any experiences with mpg savings between automatic and manual...

My diesel is barely louder than a V8, the exhaust doesn't smell like the old diesels (I like the smell actually) and the expense...well that is true.

If you could drive a diesel for a couple of weeks you'd love it. When my wife and I buy another car for her it'll be a diesel car like a BMW or an Audi.

I don't know if a diesel is more expensive or not outside of the premium you pay. I do a lot of my own maintenance so I don't think it's more. I like the MPG's... I'm getting around 14.5 with the camper and I'm running a 350 dually. Gives me 450+ mile range which is important imo and worth the extra. It'll do 17 empty on the freeway at 65. Mine is older tho and quiet it's not but I got it used 10 years ago and I no longer drive it everyday.

If your going to get a gasser I'd look at v10 vs the 5.4L V8 in the older fords. The 5.4 will work harder and I don't think there is that much difference in MPG's...but that's just me. I'd rather have a Chev or Dodge 5.7L vs the ford small block. Your right tho....expect 12mpgs or so in a 2500/250 on a good day.

Ram is now offering the Hemi in 6.4 - I always think it's best to avoid the first year of anything "new", however this might be an option.
I looked close at a few Powerwagons- in fact there have been a few really nice 2012 + 2013 used models for sale here in Reno with around 12K miles on them- like new condition but the low mpq scarred me away as did the tire wear I saw on them- they all had chunks of rubber missing on the big BFG stock tires and I know how much those cost to replace- I have read this is not uncommon. It would be nice if they put the new small 1500 diesel engine in the 2500 ???

Classic used truck buying experience... As advertised 'excellent condition' so I setup a time to checkout the truck and take it for a test drive, I was actually excited!
  • So the 'lady' rolls in the lots, first impression... truck hasn't been cleaned in years
  • She parks and scoots out with a cigarette in her mouth... ok
  • Tell me about your truck... well I just had it serviced new spark plugs and exhaust were installed... ok
  • Do you mind if i take it for a drive... no problem but the check engine light is on... and it's about out of gas... ok
  • I should have walked away... but I got in... it smelled like an ash tray.. plus there were cracks in the dash and the drivers seat was totally collapsed
  • It drove ok but had a slight vibration in the front end... so i stop at a parking lot to look under... oil 'dripping' from the front engine and transmission... ok
  • I make it back... and she wants to play hard ball
I walked away very disappointed!

My take away though is i like the configuration of the truck and will continue to search...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom