Loon Lake kayak camp

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
Becoming a FWC owner, we've established some annual outings; Fall colors, Grouse Ridge, Tahoe summer, and Susan's birthday. She loves to kayak on Loon Lake, an alpine lake located on the western edge of the Desolation Wilderness. We reserve a campsite with access to the lake, so we can kayak directly from camp. The campground is heavily used, so reservations are a must.

The weather was cool, with a strong marine flow, so paddling in the afternoons would be an uphill battle. The lake is oriented so that the prevailing breeze comes directly up canyon from the west, funneling around granite islands and peninsula where the wind speed accelerates.

The mornings were fine with a light breeze and the hot August sunshine.

Captain Callie was sporting her new paddle jacket. Seriously, it cost a few bucks, but now our dog has a life vest with a handy handle mounted up top.

We spotted some mergansers.

Our young dog needs lots of exercise, so we launched her off the boats and let her run the shore while we paddled along. Good exercise for all!

We think Callie was more appreciative of catching a ride after running the shore.

The lake is more pure than Tahoe.

We swam in the chilly, vibrant waters, hiding in the lee of granite slabs, warming our refreshed bodies.

As the evening set, I was preparing to take some night time photo sequences of the dark sky of very new moon with the Perseid meteor shower in full swing. There was also the opportunity to view an iridium flare.

more to come . . .

This looks like so much fun! We too just invested (no pun intended) in life vests for our pooches too. Love this water.

Boy, "Bob" sure likes callie's lifevest- :love: he wants one even though I don't have a kayak-I think he wants to wear it around camp so he can be cool :cautious: ! Sure looks like a nice lake guys!

Smoke

Great so far. Really looking forward to the rest. What a good looking lake. Does it live up to its name? Did you see loons? Do they migrate through there?

That's a pretty sunset. It looks like some wildfire smoke is enhancing the reds??

Andy/Susan Hey-have a question? What model of wilderness Kayak is that-I've been looking for a while for one that I can take Bob in and there are lot's of pictures on REI's website, but I'm not sure of your model-thanks!! (Bob thinks he'll get a cool lifevest if I buy a kayak)

Smoke/Bob

Hey Bob,

Tell your master the kayak is a Pungo model. Callie is only 33# and she fits in the 12' kayak fine.

Oh man, kayaking Loon has been on my short list all summer and I still haven't done it. Thanks for the motivation!

{Sorry folks, no loons were spotted at Loon Lake. Perhaps the 3pinners may know more about this, since this is literally in their backyard}

--------------------------

As evening set on the lake, the dark skies were revealed.

The first show of the night was Venus, sending her raptured beams along the waters.

After chasing sunset I came back to camp where I had prepared a fire of dry oak. We sat outside in the cool evening, enjoying the ambiance. I heard my smarty-pants phone chirp and said, "Oh, that's a heads up. There's a satellite coming overhead." I quickly grabbed my tripod and mounted up my camera.

I had recently learned of the common phenomena of iridium flares, or satellite glints. I found you can look this stuff up, if you know your GPS coords. The site is http://www.heavens-above.com/IridiumFlares.aspx?lat=39.253392&lng=-120.949015&loc=Banner+Mtn&alt=1000&tz=PST

We knew to look 88 degrees east and 55 degrees off the horizon. Not too hard. I used the compass app and directed my camera in that direction. Suddenly Susan said, "I see a satellite coming by." I had already triggered the 30 sec exposure, fortunately.
As we watched, the dim satellite suddenly became a very bright (-8) object, like a burnished bronze mirror in the sky, just for a few seconds.

We were amazed. Try it out sometime. It's pretty easy to do, and mind-blowing when you actually see it work.

We retired, but I had other plans to take advantage of the moonless night and Perseid meteors.
I set my alarm and got back out on the lake shore around 3am. I put on a warm hat and gloves for the 46F temps.

I saw the occasional meteor, but maybe one every other minute or so. I was preparing to take multi-exposure (set camera to continuous mode, fast lens at f2.8, iso at 2500/3200/5000) to be used in starstacks or timelapse. I'm just learning all this stuff, so everything is an experiment (therefore fun!).

This shot is special because the last frame caught a remarkable Perseid fireball

Another starstack

The herald of dawn

I recovered my camera at 6am. It was down to 42F. The light was sweet and I noticed a mist flowing out of one of the bays. Callie was happy to join me on a short jaunt to investigate.

We paddled again, getting an earlier start against the afternoon winds. We lounged on the peninsula, swimming and reveling in the alpine scenery of Pleasant Lake (now engulfed by Loon Lake).

The beauty of this trip, is that we could hang out until 3pm, yet paddle back and drive home for dinner. Sometimes, your backyard is the best utility of time when weighing quality time vs. driving time and/or time off from work. We managed this trip by leaving after work on a Thursday, but were home by Saturday night. Not bad. I still see this as the genius of having a popup camper, even though we both wish we had more discretionary time away.

I've compiled a short (5.79 sec) video for your viewing pleasure. Look for the fireball at the end, but don't blink. I've not linked video before. It looks like a black box, but if you click, it will launch you to my website, where the vid will play.

That star shot with the meteor is really cool. I like the pic of Callie in the morning light too. You are quite the skillful photographer!

Beautiful stuff, Lighthawk. Great grab of that Perseid. I liked the Iridium flare photo, too, and the morning twilight photos, oh shoot - I liked 'em all!

Back
Top Bottom