Loon Lake- short trip

UHAULER

Advanced Member
My wife and I were anxious to get out of town for the weekend to try out the camper after a "size reduction"My link We decided to head up to Loon Lake at the start of the Rubicon trail knowing there were some nice campsites on the granite slabs just past the spillway and we would be arriving after dark so we wouldn't have to search around for a nice spot. We pulled in about 8 pm and soon after we had the chairs out enjoying a few drinks under the moonlight.

The next morning I made a nice breakfast and we were just sitting there soaking up the sun when a couple of young US forest service workers walked up and informed us that we were camped in an area that was "off limits" Apparently you can only pull off of the road no more than 25' from the center of the road/trail. I asked if they knew and good secluded campsites he could reccomend and they told us there were plenty of plenty of places we could pull off the road and carry our tent and gear out into the woods. I looked at him and then pointed to my truck to remind him I have a camper and like sleeping on a nice padded King size bed. He politely advised us that we should probably pack up and leave before a local law enforcement officer comes by and could cite me. We packed up real quick and were off to look for another place.

After exploring the area for at least a couple hours we found plenty of locked gates, no vehicle signs and big boulders blocking off the good vehicle accesable campsites that used to be open. We ended up driving home that afternoon very disapointed in all the new rules and regs and how city-fied the area has become.

001copy.jpg

006copy.jpg

005copy.jpg

007copy.jpg

One neat thing we did encounter was a bunch of rock crawlers, I think it was a collaboration of 3-4 4wd clubs taking disabled Vets on the Rubicon trail. I think it was called WOUNDED WARRIORS.

010copy.jpg

012copy.jpg

Thanks for posting those pretty pics. The weather looks like it was great. Sorry to hear about the closing off of access. Another example of overpopulation causing overuse, I'm afraid.

It is sad what is happening to the Sierra's. I have camped in the same area for 45 years. Used to see one or two jeeps a day. Now we see 20+ 4x4's, hikers and bicycles. NFS makes us take in a port a potte for our group. Just too many people and the NFS is making everything they do not have closed accessible to motor-homes.

The Eldorado National Forest is the most restrictive forest in this part of the state. Its gotten to the point where I prefer to move on a little further down the road.

Its a combination of too many people and some serious environmentalists up there. One whose property backs up to the national forest. And of course the rules and regulations are all tied up in litigation, which means the most restrictive option is in place until everything is settled.

012copy.jpg

I spy with my little eye... a FWC on a Dodge with a trailer!

The group you saw was Wheelers for the Wounded - I hear great things about their organization and the work they do with disabled veterans. I've seen some photos from their trip that weekend, it looked like they all had a great time.

Your camper is looking super, I enjoyed watching your build thread on ExPo, it sure has come a long way! I think Loon Lake makes a great get-away, even with that long haul up the mountain to get there. But it's a very picturesque spot!

I'm surprised to hear that you were run off the slabs... I was there back in June of this year to run the Rubicon with the Toyota Landcruiser Association, and we camped there our first night under a single tree, right around the bend from the outhouse under the spillway. Shoot, there was still snow on the ground! Maybe it was ok because we were part of a big annual event that gets permits, etc....?

1015292598_shau3-O.jpg

909137084_SPHSx-O.jpg

908891688_EEPrn-O.jpg

the proximity to the bay area combined with the ready availability of toy haulers and atv's has really led to a lot of damage up there.

if not for those restrictions i dont think there would be any vegetation whatsoever....it would be nothing but trails.

too many people with too easy access.

One neat thing we did encounter was a bunch of rock crawlers, I think it was a collaboration of 3-4 4wd clubs taking disabled Vets on the Rubicon trail. I think it was called WOUNDED WARRIORS.

What a surprise to see this thread! I'm the guy you spoke with in the morning on your way out. We talked about your Ranger visit and the closure/parking limits on the Rubicon Trail. We had a great run and the Vet's were treated to a weekend they'll never forget. It was an honor to be a driver and to get to know these fine men.

I really like what you've done with your camper and hope to run into you and your wife again someday.

Mark

What a surprise to see this thread! I'm the guy you spoke with in the morning on your way out. We talked about your Ranger visit and the closure/parking limits on the Rubicon Trail. We had a great run and the Vet's were treated to a weekend they'll never forget. It was an honor to be a driver and to get to know these fine men.

I really like what you've done with your camper and hope to run into you and your wife again someday.

Mark

Mark, I hope I didn't come across as too bitter. I think that is so cool to take disabled vets who have never been on the rubicon trail. You really can't put a price on that. Maybe we will run into each other at another campout, possibly a WTW get together. I hope they will let me camp with them even though my camper is a "NON POPPER"

Sean

Mark, I hope I didn't come across as too bitter. I think that is so cool to take disabled vets who have never been on the rubicon trail. You really can't put a price on that. Maybe we will run into each other at another campout, possibly a WTW get together. I hope they will let me camp with them even though my camper is a "NON POPPER"

Sean

Our only equipment requirement is a bottle opener.

012copy.jpg

I spy with my little eye... a FWC on a Dodge with a trailer!

Good little eye KC. That be me.

I went into the springs with the Santa Barbara 4x4 club on Thursday and came out Saturday via Tahoe. We never saw the vet group - I guess they didn't go all the way through.

It was a good trip except I beat the crap out of the Jeep. Broken front spring, shackle bolt, pinion yoke, a drive shaft that looks like a barber pole and an owie on the right quarter panel. I've never had so many problems on that trail.

I took my new son-in-law with me. He thought he had been off roading before but realized within the first hour that this was a whole new ball game. I'll give him credit though in that he only bailed once when we had a tire way off the ground on Cadillac hill.

UHAULER - You probably wouldn't have had a problem camping on that portion of the slab. I believe that 25 feet is the rule but in that area it's impossible to tell where the center of the trail is. I think the main area they are concerned with and enforcing is around Spider Lake which has been trashed by Bud Light powered fools.

Dick

Good little eye KC. That be me.

It was a good trip except I beat the crap out of the Jeep. Broken front spring, shackle bolt, pinion yoke, a drive shaft that looks like a barber pole and an owie on the right quarter panel. I've never had so many problems on that trail.

I took my new son-in-law with me. He thought he had been off roading before but realized within the first hour that this was a whole new ball game. I'll give him credit though in that he only bailed once when we had a tire way off the ground on Cadillac hill.

I should have known that was you... We got our share of dingers & damage too, but we only had to use the strap once or twice exiting into Tahoe. There was still a lot of snow on that end of the trail in June, like an Olympic mogul run. And Cadillac Hill was... interesting, to say the least!

Back
Top Bottom