Lost Items from Silverware Drawer

camper rich

After our first trip to Baja, in 2017, we noticed several items that we seemed to have lost from our silverware drawer. Of course we had driven lots of miles of washboard on the trip, and we didn't realize that the open top of the silverware drawer was a black hole for things that pop up and out of the drawer. In our case we found items that had traveled over the top of the furnace and ended up over by the water valves. BTW our is a 2016 Grandby front dinette. I had difficulty fishing everything out of there and I'll bet that if I ever open up the cabinet there will still be something there that I missed.

To stop the problem, my wife made a drawstring bag that the silverware tray fits into before it goes into the drawer. This prevents items from bouncing out of the drawer in the first place. We've now made 4 trips to Baja and on the last 3 not lost any kitchen items.

Yep, a common problem; I think it has been mentioned before. With some contortions I can usually fish items out from behind the partitions under the sink and around the water heater, but some items have disappeared into the ether. I’m planning to rework that drawer. I believe that Bernard uses a cutting board as a lid on the drawer.

Found a small cutting board close to the same size as the drawer. Sits on top of everything and keeps it under control

If the current owner of our first FWC ever takes the cabinets apart he will probably find my wedding ring.

Scene #1 - Camping trip in southeastern Utah

Bill: "Hey, Honey, where's the paring knife?'
Sally: "In the silverware drawer where it always is."
Bill: "I don't see it. i know you ran it through the dishwasher after our last trip . . . are you sure you put it back in the camper?"
Sally: Yes, i distinctly remember doing that."
Bill: "Well, then where is it?"
Sally: "Maybe you used it earlier today and forgot to put it back"
Bill: "No, I haven't touched it on this trip, you MUST have forgotten to pack it."
Sally: "I DID pack it, you must have misplaced it."
Bill: "That's impossible because this is the first time I've looked for it on this trip
Sally: "Are calling me a liar or an incompetent?"
Bill: "Take it however you like!"

Scene #2 - Six months later up in the high Sierras

Bill: "Well, she pretty much cleaned me out in the divorce but at least I got to keep the camper and am up here relaxing in the mountains this weekend. I think I'll check the water heater cabinet to be sure nothing is leaking. Hey, what's this paring knife doing here????"

Moral: Small design flaws can lead to major consequences :D .

Our 2019 Hawk came with a small plastic cutting board that fits perfectly in the silverware drawer. Seems FWC heard the stories and found a simple solution. Good job FWC!

Back
Top Bottom