Low Cost Mods

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior
We all spend thousands of dollars on our trucks and campers. And then there's all the toys: cameras, kayaks, bikes, etc. = $$$$$
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

But what about the other end of the spectrum? How much bang can you get for the least buck?
I'm suggesting we start a thread to share our low cost solutions; say $10 $25 or less.
This is meant to be fun, so feel free to show off your rubber band powered, Rube Goldberg special edition mods!
biggrin.gif

Extra points for speed of install and reuse of something you already own.

I'll start off with my 99 cent solution to mount the omnipresent roll of paper towels.
Up until now, we store the roll in half the upper cabinet, which hogs a lot of space and is not easy to access.

Voila! Five minutes of time with materials scrounged from my garage and . . .

I put two #8 sheet metal screws into the bottom of the over-the-couch cabinet and used a mini-bungie cord between them.
One end I bent the hook around the screw to keep it there.
Mounting the paper towel roll requires a quick fish of the bungie and then hook it up there.
The friction is just right to pay out towels, but also to tear off with the snap o' the wrist.

This mod is not field tested.
wink.gif

We're heading out for a three or four day trip over Thanksgiving, so we'll give it a good shake down.
We're also going to try a mod I have done to our settee to create a better lounging experience at night. If that works, I'll share in a later post.

Anyone else have something cheap and effective to share?

I like the paper towel rack! I think I may copy that one.

My cheap kitchen mod is a spice rack. Great place to keep all this stuff handy and right where I want it. I bought a CD rack at the craft store (yes, I went to a craft store :( ) and cut it in half. Four little metal L brackets, two short wood screws each and it's on. We are very happy with this mod, and it is definitely road tested and approved.

smugshot6470693-L.jpg

smugshot6470693-L.jpg

Very cool, Gormley. I recognize a bottle of Tabasco in there. Muy sabroso!
Maybe I need to measure my Tapa Tio bottle and start thinking about this.

Very cool, Gormley. I recognize a bottle of Tabasco in there. Muy sabroso!
Maybe I need to measure my Tapa Tio bottle and start thinking about this.

Just low enough to keep the Tabasco in there with the roof lowered. I made sure of it. There's also a Lizano in there from Nicaragua, más caliente.

Double your $10.00 limit but a big bang for the buck. I put a digital programmable thermostat on the heater, $19.00 at Home Depot. Programmed to shut down after we are in bed and comes on just before I want to get up. Note doubles as an alarm clock :rolleyes: . Used it everyday on my big tip.

Double your $10.00 limit but a big bang for the buck. I put a digital programmable thermostat on the heater, $19.00 at Home Depot. Programmed to shut down after we are in bed and comes on just before I want to get up. Note doubles as an alarm clock :rolleyes: . Used it everyday on my big tip.

Pics or it didn't happen

I'll start off with my 99 cent solution to mount the omnipresent roll of paper towels.

The friction is just right to pay out towels, but also to tear off with the snap o' the wrist.
This mod is not field tested.
We're heading out for a three or four day trip over Thanksgiving, so we'll give it a good shake down.

This looks good, and I may try it. I wo
i-Dw5D4hK-M.jpg
nder if the roll will stay rolled under bumpy conditions...
huh.gif

In your T-day jaunt perhaps you could find some really nice washboard and see how it holds up to high-amp vibration...maybe the north-entrance Saline Valley road?
biggrin.gif

I'd test it myself, but I have a car-based trip to visit the Folks planned for T-Day.
rolleyes.gif

This looks good, and I may try it. I wo
i-Dw5D4hK-M.jpg
nder if the roll will stay rolled under bumpy conditions...
huh.gif

In your T-day jaunt perhaps you could find some really nice washboard and see how it holds up to high-amp vibration...maybe the north-entrance Saline Valley road?
biggrin.gif

I'd test it myself, but I have a car-based trip to visit the Folks planned for T-Day.
rolleyes.gif

Maybe just a rubber band over the roll during travel.

Maybe just a rubber band over the roll during travel.

Yeah! Excellent...and I shoulda thought of that. (I'm too focused on insulation right now, I guess ;) )

Great idea Mr. Hawk.I have a few low cost mods also I'll have to get some photos posted.There are so many things we can personalize/mod our campers at little or no cost
.It's fun to share and a learning experience.

Frank

This looks good, and I may try it. I wonder if the roll will stay rolled under bumpy conditions...
huh.gif

biggrin.gif

Maybe just squash the cardboard tube so it isn't cylindrical, then unsquash it in camp. And, I like both towel holder mods, too.

Another cheap easy mod - a gear hammock:

http://www.sportsman...k.aspx?a=567262

I just hang it from the ends of the wood crosspieces in the ceiling, so it is above the dinette area. It's a good place to stow jackets, etc. Might get in the way of a really tall person, though.

Nice! My OEM 'stat often has issues with the copper contact switch inside. I've had to fix it at least twice. The first time I was in the middle of NV on a cold night too. Not too much fun when your GF is freezing cold and you are sitting there reading the manuals to deliver some heat :(

We've had programmable stats for houses for about thirty years now, so why not in our campers?
And $20 seems like a pretty cheap deal too!

I thought most of those thermostats were AC powered? I need to pick one of those units up, nice improvement.

The cheep ones have a battery for the clock.

Here you are, ran out a just took a picture.

View attachment 13099
View attachment 13098

I think I have to same one in mine, have you noticed under 30deg or so it just shows "Lo" and won't initial heat when switched, on? Mine does that and it can be annoying, I'll pull it off and stick it in my jacket for a moment warm it back up when that happens. I've been thinking a bypass switch wouldn't be a bad idea to first fire it up when its that cold.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom