Low Cost Mods

Recovery Board (Maxtrax / X-Bull) mount for Thule / Yakima racks

In my travels, I do my best not to get stuck; however, sometimes things happen and having recovery boards make the whole situation much less of a pain in the butt. Where Maxtrax are thin and stack nicely, a price tag above $300 hurts a bit. My bumper swing arms are full of Spare tire, BBQ / Fire Ring, Trash-a-roo and fishing rod holder so I decided to put these on top of my FWC. They are very light.

I think the pictures and links below should allow anyone to build these should they desire.

Used on 1 trip so far and everything worked perfect.

X-Bull vs. Maxtrax testing

Recovery Boards: X-Bull: Amazon: $66
Amazon.com

Thule Bar Clamps: Thule Ride-On Adapter: etrailer: $3.27 ea
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories_and_Parts/Thule/853-2156.html

Aluminum: 1.5” x 0.5” x 0.125” x 36”; IMS: $27

Locking Knob: Thule: $16
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Thule/753-1909.html

Misc Hardware: ~$20
  • 8mm 1.5 all thread rod (cut 3 at 5.25” and 1 at 6.25”)
  • 8mm 1.5 SS nuts (qty 8)
  • 8mm 1.5 SS Wing nuts (qty 3)
  • 8mm SS Washers (qty 16)
  • 8mm SS lock washers (qty 8)
  • ¼” x 20 x 1” SS carriage bolts for Ride on Clamps
  • ¼” x 20 SS nuts (Qty 4) for Ride on Clamps
  • ¼” SS washers (Qty 4) for Ride on Clamps
  • ¼” SS Lock Washers (Qty 4) for Ride on Clamps

Attachments

• IMG_9706.JPG
    IMG_9706.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_9707.JPG
    IMG_9707.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 174
  • Aluminum Bars.JPG
    Aluminum Bars.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_9710.JPG
    IMG_9710.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_9712.JPG
    IMG_9712.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 138
Just a thought...though the racks look great and the lock mod... that is going to be a lot of drag. Having them up there is probably best as they are out of the way (best) ,,,I would have suggested two aluminum square stock across the Yakima tracks and a similar clamp to that...lower profile and the bars could be removed (extra weight if not otherwise used).

buckland said:
Just a thought...though the racks look great and the lock mod... that is going to be a lot of drag. Having them up there is probably best as they are out of the way (best) ,,,I would have suggested two aluminum square stock across the Yakima tracks and a similar clamp to that...lower profile and the bars could be removed (extra weight if not otherwise used).
Thanks for the thought. On my other side I often have surfboards so this is just like a small board. But your comment is noted.

IMG_4337.JPG
I thought I added this before but couldn’t find it so here it is...
I added a second screen door bar at the lower screen to protect the screen from my foot as I went out the door backwards and kick it open. It also makes for an easy handle to close it with while standing outside.

Hello bimmeryota ...
My ‘18 FWC has no screen door bars. Can you advise? The top bar looks like an easy grab to close from the inside, while as you mention, the lower bar serves to close from the outside. This mod looks “handy”. Would like to replicate, so any info appreciated.

Stokeme said:
Hello bimmeryota ...
My ‘18 FWC has no screen door bars. Can you advise? The top bar looks like an easy grab to close from the inside, while as you mention, the lower bar serves to close from the outside. This mod looks “handy”. Would like to replicate, so any info appreciated.
Here’s a start for you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0012GTVVA?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I just put one on. Very easy. Just make sure that wherever you mount the handle, nothing on the inside of the camper interferes with the closing of the door with the new bar installed.

Ron

RONR said:
Here’s a start for you.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0012GTVVA?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

I just put one on. Very easy. Just make sure that wherever you mount the handle, nothing on the inside of the camper interferes with the closing of the door with the new bar installed.

Ron
Like Ron says above make sure you test where it will go. I used tape to put it in place then open close a few times. I try to keep my floor clear to see a bit through my rear view so that helped me position not of them to maximize my view. The directions that come with the bar are pretty straightforward.

IMG_6236.jpgIMG_6239.jpg

I purchased a new Hawk shell with a furnace a couple of years ago after camping out of a fiberglass shell for 25 years...an amazing upgrade. I have discovered that I don't like to open the door on a winter morning to dispose of dish water, etc. I built this 'sink' out of a scrap of masonite, a funnel, some tubing, and a piece of angle iron. The angle iron enables me to hook one edge under the hinged shelf and secure it with a clamp. Using a nylon barb I can attach it to tubing that directs the waste water under my pickup. If I am someplace where this is not appropriate I place the short tube into a container inside. It installs or removes in seconds. All I bought was the funnel.

Heat: Where and How Much

A small piece of HVAC tape on three slots of the propane heater vent let's us direct most of the heat to the floor when we are sitting in the front dinette and up to the bed at night.
Vent.jpg

In the winter here in the PNW we camp more frequently in state parks, which have power in OR and WA. Most 1500/750 W small heaters have terrible temperature control. For $22 a remote controlled thermostat makes for even heat that we can adjust without getting up from the seat or out of bed. (To save on batteries, remove them from the remote when not using).
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071NG8MZK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thermo.jpg

XJINTX said:
Buy or Build... I really like that idea... being able to grab and take outside!
built with left overs in the the garage.. able to make the holes the size I want with different drill bits.. super easy.. 30 minute job

will those screen door handle bars people are adding to their screen doors work on a 2019 hawk ?? would love to add ,but wonders if they would interfere with the refrigerator door opening

I've been toying with this idea for an instant sink (for brushing teeth, small volumes). There are a variety of oil pans out there to choose from and stores away when not in use.

jprofita said:
attachicon.gif
IMG_6236.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_6239.jpg

I purchased a new Hawk shell with a furnace a couple of years ago after camping out of a fiberglass shell for 25 years...an amazing upgrade. I have discovered that I don't like to open the door on a winter morning to dispose of dish water, etc. I built this 'sink' out of a scrap of masonite, a funnel, some tubing, and a piece of angle iron. The angle iron enables me to hook one edge under the hinged shelf and secure it with a clamp. Using a nylon barb I can attach it to tubing that directs the waste water under my pickup. If I am someplace where this is not appropriate I place the short tube into a container inside. It installs or removes in seconds. All I bought was the funnel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210605-075857.jpg
    Screenshot_20210605-075857.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 106
dennis 221 said:
will those screen door handle bars people are adding to their screen doors work on a 2019 hawk ?? would love to add ,but wonders if they would interfere with the refrigerator door opening
I really can't speak for the 2019 but mine is a 2015 side dinette and the Refrigerator never an issue. One of my better mods as many will agree.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom