Magellan does it again.

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
We made it back from Yellowstone. For this trip we had new shocks and springs on the truck as well as a new 12 volt fridge. The fridge claims to work at up to a 30 degree angle, so it is nice not having to worry about being perfectly level as with the three-way fridge. And of course we wanted to check out the increased travel of the new suspension parts. As it happens, I can report that all performed as advertised, including the flexibility of our camper. However, I do think the NPS could do a better job of marking culverts.

gallery_176_163_528604.jpg

Yes, Lamar Valley. Definitely one of our favorite places. A bison had been gored during the rut and both grizzley and wolves were working it. Got to see some great interaction between the two.

Marc, not sure a winch would have helped. The culvert was hidden by weeds and my rear end was sitting on the structure. Hard to tell in the photo, but only had contact on one wheel. Dragging it out would likely have damaged the rear end. Despite numerous offers to tow it out, I waited for a big wrecker to come lift it out.

If you have ever been wolf watching in Yellowstone, you know this happened in front of a large crowd. And in a heavily touristed area. Even the tour buses stopped so everyone could get photos. Hey, look at the Californian's truck! Ha ha ha. :cautious: Unfortunately, it seems the Magellan moniker has become prophetic. So go ahead and have fun with this. You can't say anything I haven't heard already. Even the ranger asked if I wanted to get in the photo when he was taking pictures. Sigh.

Fortunately the only damage was to my pride. To my surprise, my wife let me drive back to the same sight the next day. Trust me when I say all eyes were on me as I parked. Also not surprising, the culvert was now blocked off with cones.

Ted, Ted, Ted, my dear friend. The most important thing is the truck is OK. And of course you and Mrs. Ted are OK. What I really want to know is if the new 12VDC refer worked during your off camber test. I have to complement you on the clever way you made your test of the refer look like you "accidentally" drove into the culvert. :rolleyes: I'm sure it wasn't easy finding the only culvert in the park not marked buy a reflector post. Persistence and perseverance will prevail.

What I think really happened was your tire went flat and remembering that you didn't have a jack you parked like that so you could change the tire. Good thinking! Help me out here, I'm running out of rationalizations.

Mike

Ted, my friend, I'll always support you even in the most difficult of times. I am happy to hear that your new DC fridge keeps beer cold even at extreem angles out of level.

Amazing photo and story. Too funny. Glad it all worked out. I can't evn imagine standing there and having a bus load of cameras shooting the scene! :LOL:

:eek: Wow Ted, that's crazy... glad it all turned out OK. That must've gotten your attention real quick.

Can you give me the specs on your setup?

Moody, it is a 2011 Tundra 4x4 with standard equipment. The TRD option package includes better tires, shocks, and (I think) some type of lockers. But we skipped the TRD package and put BFG All Terrains on it, replaced the shocks with Bilstein 5100s, and added Firestone airbags in the back. Bilsteins come with the TRD package but are not the adjustable ones. We got the adjustable ones and raised the front about 1 3/4". I'd definitely do the tires and Bilsteins again. You could do new rear springs like Deavers instead of airbags on the back, but we're happy with the bags.

Mike, I appreciate the assistance rationalizing this one. Our new fridge is an Isotherm Cruise, the smaller version of what I believe is being installed in your new camper. Love it! It did pass the tilt test, draws very little power, is extremely quiet, and also passed the ice cream test on this trip.

Nix, nix, nix, he'll end up hanging himself or worse me.

Ouch. Jay, I'm driving challenged, not equipment challenged.

Craig, the ranger was actually very cool about it. He even noted that since the culvert wasn't marked I could probably file a tort claim for my expenses. Fortunately that shouldn't be necessary as our insurence should reimburse for the tow.

Ted, we are so glad that you got through this "incident" with little damage except to your pride. You should consider the possibility that those smart grizzly bears remove the cones every night.

Ted,

Bummer, it could have happened to any of us, you just happened to be there. Glad there was no damage as that would have added injury to insult.

You should consider the possibility that those smart grizzly bears remove the cones every night.

Actually it is the wolves. There was a half mile coned off with no parking signs because the wolves were crossing frequently from their den to the carcass. They really did take a couple of cones just to play with and chew on.

Bummer, it could have happened to any of us, you just happened to be there.

Two people mentioned I wasn't the first. Culverts are usually marked with permanent roadside markers. Not sure why this one isn't. Maybe it got hit and the maintenance budget has been cut back so much it isn't a priority.

Back
Top Bottom