Maglite LED Conversion - anyone done it?

Vic

camping somewhere in the Sierra Nevada range
I have a dilemma - I have this older 4 cell D Maglite that I carry in my camper (and the one before it) for years. The bulb has died though. I have been considering either going with a new one or doing an LED upgrade for this one, as I'm noticing the old incandescent technology doesn't quite compare anymore. I like the flashlight though and don't feel a burning need to replace it, so another incandescent bulb is not out of the question if the cost/benefit isn't there.

That said, the options for a LED upgrade are staggering. Everything from $11 LED bulb replacements to $100+ massive upgrades.

Just curious if anyone else has done this and what your results were.

Thanks - Vic

Yes, Did mine several years ago. If I remember, the LED bulb replacement was around $16.00. Works great..

Vic, I’ve replaced bulbs with LEDs in Maglites. Definitely much better than the incandescent performance, but not as good as a new purchased LED version. I’m not sure if it’s the LED, or reflector shape or what...

Likely it is the reflector shape. LED reflectors tend to be much more funnel-like in shape than incandescent reflectors. I'd say that a conversion kit that doesn't include an LED specific reflector should probably be passed over.

Maglights have been a big part of my camping gear for years, but not so much any more. I use Stinger LED Ultra's and Nebo King Slyde's more these days.

I have a mag-lite with a LED light bulb and recently bought a second that was LED from the factory. There is really no comparison as the factory LED is much better. However the LED light bulb is not to shabby and is still more efficient than the incandescent.

More efficient yes but not more throw. My modded incandescent quite outperforms my modded LED mag lite.

Though this mod was bit more than $16.

However my LED version I do admit I carry a bit more often.

I turfed my maglites and went LED a while back. Have had good luck with the ThruNite (cheaper) and Nitecore brands.

Back
Top Bottom