Maiden Voyage for the The Ted's Tiger

Ted

Magellan
Site Team
Got a chance to break in the new rig. Kept it simple to start so all on asphalt and in campgrounds. Still working out packing details and making it so things stay put when off road. It definitely rock and rolls more than our Tundra/FWC so things move around. Will do a rig report in the future and update with mods as they get completed.

It is getting harder and harder to find places on the California coast that don't require reservations and aren't too crowded. One place that sometimes still works on weekdays is Westport Union about 1/2 hour north of Ft Bragg. It has four separate camp areas. For $35 a night you get a gravel lot, not fully enclosed pit toilets, and is right next to the highway. But it has great ocean views for sunsets and whale watching. Plus people surf fishing for perch seemed to be doing well.

We did not plan it but had fairly big minus tides while there. It made for some fun exploring on the shore. A look ahead shows some even bigger minus tides the last week of June, so plan accordingly if you are interested.

gallery_176_1468_187318.jpg

We got the primo site. There is one site that was the first along a roadway of sites. It is still there, but the others got washed out and the road was closed. You can see our nearest neighbors were about 100 yards away.

gallery_176_1468_108266.jpg

gallery_176_1468_148303.jpg

Our first dinner was a celebration with grilled fresh King salmon, potatoes, green beans, and a nice bottle of wine. And fresh baked brownies for dessert.

gallery_176_1468_233049.jpg

On a side note, we opted out of installing the optional oven in the Tiger so we could have more storage space. Instead we purchased an Omnia Stovetop Oven which is how I did the brownies. Along with cornbread muffins for chili that I did on this trip, I have made pizza, meatloaf, and frittatas in the Omnia. Wish we had this when we had our FWC.

gallery_176_1468_152835.jpg
Exposed rocks at low tide.

Some critters and and irises.
gallery_176_1468_169673.jpg

Rock Crab

gallery_176_1468_10570.jpg

Oystercatchers.

gallery_176_1468_362012.jpg
Cottontail.

gallery_176_1468_60394.jpg

Irises. (All photos taken by Mrs. Ted. I really like this one.)

The coastal winds really picked up after a couple of days. So we moved inland and spent a night at Standish Hickey SP. Not very many people, nicely shaded, and a swimming hole down on the river. Hot water for the showers was not working, no staff or host to sell you the firewood you can see locked up by the entrance (maybe too early in the season), but it does have flush toilets. Still $35.
gallery_176_1468_199500.jpg

Overall we were really happy with the rig. Everything seemed to work properly. With 400 watts of solar and dual lithium batteries power was never an issue. We averaged 11.8 mpg which included a lot of winding hilly roads. This is almost exactly what the Tundra/FWC got but this vehicle holds 10 more gallons. This extends our range significantly which also makes me a happy camper.

Congratulations to the Happy Camper Teds!

Looks like you had a great trip, and certainly a great camper! That bumper box looks handy.

Looks like a great and fun rig, Ted!

On another RV forum I've read lots of praise for the Omnia Oven. I've been using my Instant Pot as a sort-of oven -- works OK for cornbread and cake...but I think I may be adding the Omnia to my ovenless RV bag of tricks.

Ted your rig is a winner.
We've passed the Westport Union CG
many times but never stayed.
I like your rig over a "motor home type"
as it's more like a camper with the bed
always there and lots of room inside
you don't feel like staying in a cave IMO.
You don't have to make up the bed every night.
Keep enjoying it my friend.
Frank

Ted. Going to copy part of your trip next week. Have a reservation at Burlington Campground in the Humboldt Redwoods State Park, Monday night. Going to go to Ferndale and take the Mattole Rd south back to the park. Then south and try to get a site at Westport Landing. Any Wander The Wester's wave if you see a big white van.

Bill

Looking good Ted. I can't tell you how many times I mowed the grass at that campground when I worked for State Parks a lifetime ago, lol. Great looking Rig.

Nice Tiger Ted. Looks like you are enjoying it. I've enjoyed mine and it now has 68K on it. FYI, I have explored every nook and cranny of the coach top to bottom and inside out. Feel free to PM me anytime to compare notes. Are you going to the Tiger meet in Colorado?

Thank you all for the nice comments. Sorry for the late response but we have put more than 4000 miles on it in the last month, so have not had a chance. I will do more photos soon. I was thinking of waiting until I finished a list of modifications, but Mrs Ted pointed out those never end so I would never post. Hmmm, good point.

We did a trip to Grand Teton and another to Yellowstone. Unfortunately I have to return home every 10 days for treatment, so there was some long back and forth going on. We averaged 13.2 mpg which I am quite pleased with. With a 36 gallon gas tank, we now have a range of 400 miles as opposed to the 250 in our Tundra/Hawk model.

Sourdough, thanks for the offer. Will contact you if we have any questions. Skipping the rally this year but are interested in going sometime. I have been warned that you leave with a very long to-do list after seeing what others have done.

Ted great to hear you are getting good use from your new rig.
I envy your trip to Yellowstone. Our last visit was 2015 but we went spring and fall.
Sure miss the area.
Stay healthy my friend.
Frank

Nice rig Ted! One of these days… I’m looking forward to your future posts. Love the photos too.
And it is getting harder around here to even get reservations!

JWL said:
Nice rig Ted! One of these days… I’m looking forward to your future posts. Love the photos too.
And it is getting harder around here to even get reservations!
It's almost next to impossible here in Ca. to get anything state or fed until late Sept.
Oh well that's the way it goes.We don't want to be out there with that many other people anyway.
Frank

Ted

Enjoy the new rig.

A Tiger visited some neighbors of ours recently....it was PLASTERED with bumper stickers at the rear......never got to meet the folks.

David Graves

North coast ORegon

Congrats. That is a sweet looking rig. Thanks for sharing on your break-in trip. My wife struggles to get up the bed of our FWC. Changes might be on the future for us. We will see.

Back
Top Bottom