Maiden Voyage

Phantom Phlyer

H, We are new to the forum. About to embark on an extended trip from Montana to points south in our 2004 Tundra (access-cab) and Kestrel. Looking for tips on:

1. Access ladders into camper (have trailer hitch)
2. Shower curtain ideas for attached outside shower
3. Storage compartment ideas for back-seat of access cab
4. Inexpensive portable solar rechargers
5. Recommended air pressure for air bags

Our preferences are generally, simple, functional and reasonable in cost. Thanks.

H, We are new to the forum. About to embark on an extended trip from Montana to points south in our 2004 Tundra (access-cab) and Kestrel. Looking for tips on:

1. Access ladders into camper (have trailer hitch)
2. Shower curtain ideas for attached outside shower
3. Storage compartment ideas for back-seat of access cab
4. Inexpensive portable solar rechargers
5. Recommended air pressure for air bags

Our preferences are generally, simple, functional and reasonable in cost. Thanks.

1. Most use a small 2 step ladder that folds up that can be bought from Camping World. There are also scissor steps that have 4 steps to them that make getting into the camper easier. The scissors are expensive ($250 - 300) but are nice. They attach to a bracket hung below the camper door. Fold them up and put them inside and away you go.
2. Look up Kodachrome's postings on this forum for a very clever idea for a shower curtain. Basically he used the rack on top of his Bobcat and built a U shaped copper tubing affair that slides into the rack from the side as a curtain rod.
3. Got nothing special. Ours is full of dog.
4. I haven't found anything I consider inexpensive. Harbor Freight is running a special on a 45 watt system with charger for around $200 - $250, but that is as good as I have seen. I would want to eyeball this thing in person before spending.
5. The best way to find air pressure for the bags is to inflate until you are level on the camper floor with the camper pretty well loaded as you want for your trip. Before upgrading springs, I found about 50# on the Tacoma worked, but that was after doing the level bit. An alternative is to install Timbrens as Mtn High has done. He has a Tundra and posted on his suspension mods. There is a thread on 'bags or springs' that might be helpful.

I have a 2005 Tundra AC with a Hawk. For the back seat I would pull the seat out, only 4 bolts. This will give you a lot more storage room.

Bill

You can get a little platform step that fits into a 2" receiver. Harbor freight and elsewhere, cheap.
HF also does have the previously mentioned 45w panels, were on sale at 180 I think. I buy stuff at HF but electronics I'm not too sure. I bought a 15w through Northern Tool, may be the same damn thing HF sells?? It is good for keeping batteries charged but you would need a hell of a lot and constant sun to run a fridge.

Any step that goes into the reciever has got to be safer. I built my own that has two steps but have also just used my cooler at times, but prefer the stability of the reciever step.
As for a shower cuttian I use the Outback Porta Privy. Works great, easy to set up and store, has an acess zipper that lines up with my shower knobs, about $50.00

1. Most use a small 2 step ladder that folds up that can be bought from Camping World. There are also scissor steps that have 4 steps to them that make getting into the camper easier. The scissors are expensive ($250 - 300) but are nice. They attach to a bracket hung below the camper door. Fold them up and put them inside and away you go.
2. Look up Kodachrome's postings on this forum for a very clever idea for a shower curtain. Basically he used the rack on top of his Bobcat and built a U shaped copper tubing affair that slides into the rack from the side as a curtain rod.
3. Got nothing special. Ours is full of dog.
4. I haven't found anything I consider inexpensive. Harbor Freight is running a special on a 45 watt system with charger for around $200 - $250, but that is as good as I have seen. I would want to eyeball this thing in person before spending.
5. The best way to find air pressure for the bags is to inflate until you are level on the camper floor with the camper pretty well loaded as you want for your trip. Before upgrading springs, I found about 50# on the Tacoma worked, but that was after doing the level bit. An alternative is to install Timbrens as Mtn High has done. He has a Tundra and posted on his suspension mods. There is a thread on 'bags or springs' that might be helpful.

Thanks, Argonaut.
I have a small ladder and we may use that for now. I had thought of building a shower curtain similar to what you describe, and may go back to that idea. In the meantime, the shower-curtain rod may be me. Also, thanks for the tip about the air bags. I've been running 50-55 lbs., and it seems OK; just didn't have anything but guesswork to go on. I'll try the levelling thing.

I have a 2005 Tundra AC with a Hawk. For the back seat I would pull the seat out, only 4 bolts. This will give you a lot more storage room.

Bill

Thanks, Bill. I pulled the seat yesterday. We found some inexpensive frames and wire basket assemblies from IKEA that look like they may work for storage. The trick will be fastening them in place.

Any step that goes into the reciever has got to be safer. I built my own that has two steps but have also just used my cooler at times, but prefer the stability of the reciever step.
As for a shower cuttian I use the Outback Porta Privy. Works great, easy to set up and store, has an acess zipper that lines up with my shower knobs, about $50.00

Thanks, all. for your suggesstions. We'll check them all out.

The glow steps work well. They are a little stiff to extend but very steady.

Attachments

• moab camper.JPG
    moab camper.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 202
Hi bike4mee,
How heavy are the glow steps... I presume you take them off of the back and they go in the camper/truck during transit? How much work is it to hook them up to the bracket and deploy them and subsequently put away?

Also, everything works great (ladders, etc) when its nice and level, I find things get difficult when its... not? Which is why i'm leaning towards something hitch mounted.

They look nice, but just trying to gauge effort? :)

Rob

The glow steps work well. They are a little stiff to extend but very steady.

The glow steps scissor out to the angle and height you need. You'll want to get your camper level for the frig. They are a little heavy for putting in and out but the safety of night excursions out to the bushes is well worth it. We tried the hitch step but it was a leap of faith getting out. Good luck

We use a scissor step as well and they do make getting into and out of the camper much easier, especially those night journeys. I mounted the bracket below the camper floor using angle iron outside to mount the bracket and iron strap inside to distribute the load with bolts through the floor to tie it together. The steps slide into the bracket and you pull them out to the length you need. Collapse them and they lift out of the bracket. There is a catch to hold them closed as well. Weight is about 20#.
Camping on FR478Sm.jpg

Back
Top Bottom