Man Rescued from Saline Valley

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
Since several of us have visited the area and pay attention to parked vehicles, from the NPS morning report.

Death Valley National Park (CA)
Lost Visitor Rescued After A Week In The Desert

On Saturday, May 9th, rangers received a report that a white pickup truck had been parked for several days at Saline Valley Dunes, a remote area only accessible to 4x4 vehicles.

Rangers searched the area on Sunday but were unable to locate anyone associated with the truck. Through investigation, they determined that it had been rented by a single person and had not been returned by the rental contract’s termination date.

On Monday, the Beverly Hills Police Department checked at the man’s home and confirmed that he was overdue and a search was begun. Rangers were joined by Inyo County SAR, China Lake Mountain Rescue, and California Highway Patrol’s helicopter H80.

On Tuesday morning, H80 was re-tasked to another SAR which was occurring simultaneously at Mesquite Sand Dunes. Once H80 cleared Mesquite Sand Dunes, the crew returned to assist in the Saline Valley search efforts. San Bernadino, Tehachapi, California Rescue Dog Association, and Kern Valley SAR groups also joined the search. Around 10 a.m., H80 located the missing man, who was roughly five miles from his vehicle and to the east of the dune complex.

The man reportedly set out alone for a day hike on the morning of Tuesday, May 5th, and became disoriented. Unable to find his way back to his vehicle, he followed a group of burros to a watering hole where he subsisted until rescue arrived. The man was transported to Northern Inyo Hospital where he is being treated for second degree sunburn and arhabdomyolysis.

[Submitted by J.D. Updegraff, District Ranger]

I've studied many incident reports like this to learn how we can be safer in the backcountry. My take away from this one - did this fellow leave a trip plan with family or friends back home along with an ETR (estimated time of return)? Of course we don't have all the details here, but a quicker outcome would have been if he was reported missing by folks back home when he did not return as expected from a day hike.

So, I'll use this as a reminder to continue the habit of keeping trusted friends aware of our travel plans and ETR back home.

I also had to get reacquainted with rhabdomyolysis. I went here - rhabdomyolysis

This I found interesting and highlighted:

Problems that may lead to this disease include:
  • Trauma or crush injuries
  • Use of drugs such as cocaine, amphetamines, statins, heroin, or PCP
  • Genetic muscle diseases
  • Extremes of body temperature
  • Ischemia or death of muscle tissue
  • Low phosphate levels
  • Seizures or muscle tremors
  • Severe exertion, such as marathon running or calisthenics
  • Lengthy surgical procedures
  • Severe dehydration

I'm intrigued by the part where "...he followed a group of burros to a watering hole where he subsisted...".
Did the burros adopt him as one of their own? Share their food with him as well as their water?
A movie could be made of my version of this.

I frequently -- almost always -- wander alone, and usually no one knows what I'm doing on a daily basis. But someone knows what day I'm due home...so that's something.

I carry a compass in my daypack or fanny pack (as well as the GPS in my phone), and I know how to use it.
Despite -- maybe because of -- many years of off-trail hiking, I've learned that I don't have a great innate sense of direction, so for situations where every tree and gully and sand dune looks alike ("disoriented") it's good I have technological help.

To the east of the dunes there are some springs shown on the map. Maybe the lost guy found his way to them.

Cick for larger view.
DV01.jpg

Stew, thanks for posting the map. On USGS topo maps, red is used for land survey lines. Here they are section lines. With each section being one square mile, you can quickly go five miles east and see approximately where he was found according to the report. So Stew, the springs you found are a good possibility.

We can't tell from the report exactly where at The Dunes the lost guy's truck was parked. North or south? Which road, etc?

Here is a closer view of the area with the springs in the NE and The Dunes in the SW.

Attachments

• DV02.jpg
    DV02.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 138
Stew, this doesn't add a lot but I found this on another forum -

"I and other visitors on Sat reported an abandoned Chevy Traverse truck 11 miles from the springs on S. Pass right where the road forks - one fork is closer to the dunes and the other is the regular Saline Rd. There is a multi-agency effort underway to find a missing Japanese couple or a gentleman. I was asked to let all upcoming traffic know and so I did. If you are coming to the springs or travel within Death Valley, please be on a lookout. I hope everything turns out OK."

Saw this on the SPA forum as well and it kind of baffles me. It seems like a tough place to get lost with the massive Inyos dominating the view to the West for orientation and Saline Valley Road running parallel the entire length of them. All one would need to do is walk westward and you would intersect with Saline Valley Road. This gentleman had obviously zero situational awareness. Glad he survived.

Only accessible by four wheel drive? Preferred sure. A lot we don't know. His age. Physical condition prior. How hot was it the day he went hiking? Heat and dehydration can quickly make someone become disoriented.

I try and turn around when I'm halfway through my water but its easy to push it when you're exploring. DV can be very unforgiving.

To the east of the dunes there are some springs shown on the map. Maybe the lost guy found his way to them.

Those are the Seven Sisters springs,I believe. It's less than an hour from the lower hot springs on foot.
Even without a compass, didn't this guy look at landmarks? Like the 11k Inyo mountains? Lucky, but not very savvy.

There is obviously much more to this story and a lot questions left unanswered. In the back of my mind I suspect other medical issues. He made a good call staying in place, he must have known that was the best choice for him. I suspect he could have seen headlights at night traveling along Bat Road, Saline Valley Road, North Pass from his location.

Some crazy stuff in Lava Beds. I'm thinking of maybe making a side trip up there when I do my annual trip to Antelope Lake.

Back
Top Bottom