Man stranded in snow survives on taco sauce

Isn't it 7 days without water, 30 days without food? Or something like that. But I'm sure those little packets saved his life :)

So I should replace the MRE's with sauce packets. I dunno about that :)

News stories these days..........................................make the taco sauce the grab. I want to know what led up to and how he got stuck. The decisions that caused the incident. We could learn from that. I am not replacing my old hard power bars at the bottom of my pack with taco sauce.

Mr. BC, thanks for the story. :)

Yeah, the "taco sauce" makes it a silly story...but I wouldn't have posted it otherwise. :p ...since stuck/stranded-in-snow stories are common around here this time of year.

Personally, I think packets of "honey sauce" or butter sauce from KFC would provide more heat-generating calories than salsa.

But I have a couple of cliff bars in my glove box. :)

In the winter Sioux and I carry toilet paper, water, wine and scotch along with a double sleeping bag in the Highlander. A 'compatible couple' (43 years married) can last a long time on those five necessities!

I grew up in Northern Minnesota. I have always had survival gear in my vehicles. I'm surprised more people don't; your camping gear won't do you any good in a box in the basement. I was stranded for more than one night in my car when I was young.

ski3pin said:
We carry several pounds of the Lady's homemade cookies. Those will get us happily through anything. :)
That is good to know the next time we travel with you.... yum cookies...

I always need some kind of food stash if I'm going somewhere.

Taco sauce is better than nothing I guess! Agreed with what was he doing there unprepared in the first place comments!! But like has been said above, most of us always have emergency stuff in our rigs just to cover those "getting stuck" times,when we "wander on over the hill" times to smell the flowers and get stuck! For me it was the old standby, 'C" rats for years and later on the new fire rats especially "beanie weenies.". That in turn was replaced by MRE's. ... and always had a few cans of peanuts and a small bottle of whiskey for snake bite on board :cautious: ! Cookies sound nice though! Seems to me Mark BC started a good thread on this subject years ago called "getting stuck". It was out in the High Rock/Black Rock NW Nevada country somewhere! Ski also had one about meeting an "unplanned for" bear once that also started a good discussion. Boy this site sure has a lot of good info based on years of its' users mistakes !

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
...Seems to me Mark BC started a good thread on this subject years ago called "getting stuck". It was out in the High Rock/Black Rock NW Nevada country somewhere! ...

Smoke
Yep, that was a fun one :rolleyes: ...with several lessons and lots of discussion:

"Incident at Battle Creek!"

gallery_2431_15_59046.jpg

Yep-still good reading and lots of adventures and good advise! Kitty litter is still may favorite simple helper, although I did pick up "come along" a while back to add to my "get unstuck " kit :giggle: !

Smoke

craig333 said:
Isn't it 7 days without water, 30 days without food? Or something like that. But I'm sure those little packets saved his life :)

So I should replace the MRE's with sauce packets. I dunno about that :)
Think threes...3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, 30 days without food. There are no hard/fast rules for how long a person lives, but taco sauce packets aren't going to make the difference.

OMG -- this story gets even better!: :p

"Sunriver man will get a year of free Taco Bell"
Bend Bulletin, March 5, 2019

From the Bulletin article:
….His story went viral after Taylor wrote on Facebook, “Taco Bell fire sauce saves lives!”
Taco Bell was impressed by his story.
“We’re very glad Jeremy and Ally are okay,” the company said in a statement this week. “We know our sauce packets are amazing, but this takes it to a whole new level. We’re in touch with Jeremy and have sent him a well-deserved care package, a year’s supply of Taco Bell, and of course, all the sauce packets that come with it.”
What a silly world! :oops:

Back
Top Bottom