Manual vs automatic transmission?

One big thing that I like about a manual trans is when climbing mountains, YOU get to pick the gear and the trans doesn't hunt for the right gear.

With my auto tranny on the Ford you put it in any gear you want...manually....so I guess it's like a manual tranny in that regard. Also...my truck has a "tow/haul" mode....which uses lower gears and stays in the lower gears longer.

My truck is also equipped with a factory engine brake.....so when you go down hill.....you don't need to use the brakes. It is the most enjoyable auto tranny I've used.

I have a guage that monitors many things Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT), transmission gear and torque lock status, Engine Oil Temp (EOT), Engine Coolant Temp (ECT), Tranmission Fluid Temp (TFT), turbo boost, battery voltage and Diesel Particulate Filter Status (DPF).

The tranny generally runs at 180 degrees....and even climbing the steepest hills towing my trailer and hauling my Hawk it has never gotten over 200 degrees. They have come a long ways in auto tranny design.

Edge CTS Guage - DSC_09000001.JPG

There are custom guage pods for each specific truck so they look like a factory option:

Edge Insight side view DSC_08920001.JPG

The installation takes 5 minutes. Install the pod....put the guage in the pod....run the wire down to the computer link and plug it in. Presto...you are now able to monitor many more things than the factory allowed with it's standard guages....and this monitoring will allow you to really see what's going on with your auto tranny. Without the guage I'd never know what the temperature of the tranny was or what actual gear I was in or if the torque converter was locked or not.

They have come a long ways in auto tranny design.

That sounds cool, where did you get that? Even my old 99 7.3 with the auto I lock it out of overdrive on the really big grades but it rarely needs that. I added the trans temp and cooler which avoids any problems. Manual trans are great, on motorcycles :D

That sounds cool, where did you get that?

Where did I get what? The guage??

The Edge Insight CTS Monitor $399:
http://www.autoanything.com/performance-chips/65A5409A0A0.aspx

Even my old 99 7.3 with the auto I lock it out of overdrive on the really big grades but it rarely needs that. I added the trans temp and cooler which avoids any problems. Manual trans are great, on motorcycles :D

You should also be monitoring your exhaust gas temperature on your diesel motor....and let your engine idle until the EGT is below 400 degrees before turning off your motor. This will help ensure that your turbo doesn't warp.

You should also be monitoring your exhaust gas temperature on your diesel motor....and let your engine idle until the EGT is below 400 degrees before turning off your motor. This will help ensure that your turbo doesn't warp.

I have the set :) Totally agree especially if you have any mods/chip on the engine. I wouldn't buy a modified diesel that doesn't also have gauges installed. Pulling a load up a grade and maintaining speed can drive EGT's up, and trans temps. Don't want to pull in the rest area at the top of the hill and shut off.

In autos I prefer hydraulic logic to electronic logic. Less to go wrong, though I will concede that the current level of electronic programming is pretty good. Not perfect because no programmer or group of them can conceive of every operational possibility. I drive a manual in my small truck. After having off roaded my small truck for over a decade I was really amazed at the much lower driver fatigue from off roading the auto in my Suburban. So I would prefer an auto in a 3/4t or 1t because such a truck will see towing duties. Not that you can't tow with a manual, but it's much easier to do with an auto. I have a take-off 6.0 PSD trans cooler and I'm not afraid to use it. Lack of compression braking is about the only downside that I see.

Word of warning; I have turbo gasser (22RTE) with an HKS "Turbo-Timer" that allows the engine to run for turbo cool-down after turning the key off for a time period based on several different settable parameters. As a total nuuB to Basic Stamps I could do a better job of both programming and in particular documenting what each option does. Not likely to be considered here, but highly NOT recommended.

LOL I wonder how many of us know what a basic stamp is? (don't do them anymore)
biggrin.gif

I have a turbo temp monitor that shuts the engine down once EGT drops to 300. A pretty simple analog circuit.

Just catching up on this thread.

Like most, I've always preferred the 'manly' standard transmission. However, my old Dodge (97 Ram 1500) had an automatic because I inherited from my dad. For creeping in an out of narrow campspots with the trailer, it was much easier with the automatic. Just lightly press on the gas and move as slow or fast as you like. No riding the clutch. I quickly learned though that it was important to second guess the Chrysler engineers and manually downshift before hills to keep the engine speed up. Similarly, I would downshift going downhill to engine-brake. It seems the shift points were designed for fuel efficiency not towing efficiency.

When I had the Dodge in for a transmission rebuild, I asked the service manager at my dealership about the advantages of manual over an automatic for towing. He said that proportional to sales, they had just about as many manuals in for rebuilding as automatics. This didn't seem to make sense so I asked him to elaborate. He said the problem was that most drivers ignored fluid levels in manual transmissions. However, in offroad use especially through water, grit would get into the main seal at the back causing a very tiny leak. Over time the transmission would loose fluid and shortly after that it was toast. Automatics have a dipstick to check levels, so they run low on fluid less often. Just thought I would throw that out.

The new Tundra with its 6-speed electronic auto is pretty slick. I certainly seems to be able to pick the right gear for a wide range of driving conditions and when I think it needs a little help, I can slip it into 'tap-shift' mode and shift it like a standard, just no clutch. Durability is something only time will reveal.

Thats a very good point. Never forget to check fluid levels. In my Jeep its easy. If its not leaking its out of oil. Much like an old Harley. In addition, carry a few extra quarts of the appropriate oil, not much use seeing you're low if you can't do anything about it.

This may not be the place for this question,but since I saw some other engine replies here goes.I have seen advertisements for the Tundra chips that claim 60+hp and 6+mpg.Any truth to these.At $60+ sounds to good to be true.Has anyone tried these?

Frank

Thats a very good point. Never forget to check fluid levels. In my Jeep its easy. If its not leaking its out of oil. Much like an old Harley. In addition, carry a few extra quarts of the appropriate oil, not much use seeing you're low if you can't do anything about it.

My former technician, an avid Harley rider, claimed that the Harleys weren't leaking oil, they were just marking their territory. Don't know if that applies to Jeeps.

Just catching up on this thread.

Like most, I've always preferred the 'manly' standard transmission. However, my old Dodge (97 Ram 1500) had an automatic because I inherited from my dad. For creeping in an out of narrow campspots with the trailer, it was much easier with the automatic. Just lightly press on the gas and move as slow or fast as you like. No riding the clutch. I quickly learned though that it was important to second guess the Chrysler engineers and manually downshift before hills to keep the engine speed up. Similarly, I would downshift going downhill to engine-brake. It seems the shift points were designed for fuel efficiency not towing efficiency.

When I had the Dodge in for a transmission rebuild, I asked the service manager at my dealership about the advantages of manual over an automatic for towing. He said that proportional to sales, they had just about as many manuals in for rebuilding as automatics. This didn't seem to make sense so I asked him to elaborate. He said the problem was that most drivers ignored fluid levels in manual transmissions. However, in offroad use especially through water, grit would get into the main seal at the back causing a very tiny leak. Over time the transmission would loose fluid and shortly after that it was toast. Automatics have a dipstick to check levels, so they run low on fluid less often. Just thought I would throw that out.

The new Tundra with its 6-speed electronic auto is pretty slick. I certainly seems to be able to pick the right gear for a wide range of driving conditions and when I think it needs a little help, I can slip it into 'tap-shift' mode and shift it like a standard, just no clutch. Durability is something only time will reveal.

w
You got it. For me creeping is the key whether in traffic or in the woods. With an automatic you can go as slow as you want with no effort. With a standard (depending on idle set and gears) you may need to slip the clutch constantly.

w
You got it. For me creeping is the key whether in traffic or in the woods. With an automatic you can go as slow as you want with no effort. With a standard (depending on idle set and gears) you may need to slip the clutch constantly.

The only time that I really miss a standard is in the winter. Up here in snow country, being able to rock the truck to get it out of snow and ice can be very helpful. I am interested to see if all the hype from Toyota about its traction control really helps - first winter with the new Tundra.

Back
Top Bottom