Map Bias

craig333

Riley's Human
We all see guys who rely on GPS and get in trouble. Many of us have a preference for paper maps. I think I let my preference for paper go a little too far this week. If you read my trip report you know I took a wrong turn which led me a considerable distance out of my way. There were intersections that were either poorly marked or not marked at all.

That is where I should have gone to my GPS. All I had to do was reach over and turn it on and see exactly where I was. Coordinate that info with my paper and make the right decision. I think my bias led me astray.

I curious, with all the tools available to us, maps, gps, compass etc, do you find yourself relying too much on just one method?

P.S. I also have a lot of faith in my ability to choose the right direction just based on intuition. Its pretty good but certainly not infallible.

I did an experiment once - I was going to the Trader Joe's in Bend from a conference center about 20 miles away. I had a Garmin dash mount GPS, an in vehicle GPS in my highlander, and goggle maps on my phone all picking the best route to TJ's. Each found a different route with significant differences in travel times. Not a big problem going into Town for grub, but potentially a big problem in the boonies. Since then I have always had a paper map along for back country travel.

I've been burned by paper maps too, using Delorme. I think Ski had some choice words for the same route into Fletcher from Mono Lk.
It was the rockiest rough trail, following a power line. Worse yet, when we got there we were locked inside the Aurora Mine gate.

We carry two phone and a GPS tablet (in the truck), plus the Delorme books for Northern and Southern California, plus Nevada. We have an Inreach GPS, but primarily as a last resort. It does give us the ability to send texts.

On our phones I started with Backcountry Navigator, and Susan still prefers that app. I've tried Earthmate, but it's a real bugger to sync with our Inreach device. Just lately I've been enjoying CalTopo which has all kinds of map layers including OVUM routes, historical topos and more. I've imported most of our routes and waypoints into CalTopo, and if I launch Google Earth at home on my desktop, there is all my saved data!

It seems wise to have multiple powered and nonpowered systems to stay found.

For actually navigating, I primarily use an iPad running Gaia. I don't use any sort of auto routing (aka google maps directions) as no sane piece of software would ever choose the ridiculous (but scenic) routes we tend to choose. What Gaia does for me is show our current position and direction with an arrow on a base map. If available I use the Nat. Geo. trails illustrated maps as the base map, if those aren't available it is either the USGS topo or the Gaia topos. If I arrive at an intersection, I can glance at the pad and know which intersection we are at and where all the roads go.

Now for planning out a route, I will often use our Delorme/Benchmark gazetteers. I find them a bit unwieldy for use on the move, and if you are watching the scenery it is easy to miss that quaternary track you had planned to turn off on, and all of a sudden you have lost your frame of reference.

Now what I would really like is an 20" iPad that could display zoomable/panable versions of the Benchmark maps with your current position marked, and when you zoom in it switches to the Trails Illustrated maps for detail.

I try to keep it simple, but still have several navigation tools. I’m a fan of paper maps, for no other reasons than 1: it’s what I was trained on and 2: a map gives the “Big View” if nothing else. Same with aerial photos. I’ve got a GPS unit and a couple map cards for when I want to/need to hit some pin point thing or place. I have Avenza on my phone. I like it because a lot of stuff from the land mgt agencies is available for it and if geo-referenced I can just drive or hike the “Blue Ball”. I use Google on my phone if I’m just trying to navigate some town or the state highway system.

I don’t think I really use one more than the other. Each one for me is kinda mission specific. If anything I use a redundant system. It’s rare I use GPS and don’t have a paper map too. It’s interesting you mention intuitive navigation. I use if a lot. I’m finding over time though that as I use the electronic stuff my ability to intuitively pin point navigate, a.k.a., find my truck at the end of the day, has dimmed.

I thought it was a good question, thanks for asking.

I use a combination of paper maps and GPS, typically a National Geographic Road Atlas for the big picture, a Benchmark Road Atlas for more detail, google maps (sometimes for route ideas and sometimes just for gps location), and Avenza Maps (because so many land agencies offer maps through them). GPS is always through my phone. I almost always use a paper map and gps location at the same time, not so important on paved highways, but especially so on unpaved and poorly marked back country roads.

Prior to discovering DeLorme Atlas' I used AAA county maps. I still do use the AAA maps on occasion, but I've since nearly abandoned the DeLorme's for Benchmarks. I find them to be superior for how I use a map.

I have yet to find a scrolling map GPS type of program that allows me to draw the planned route before I traverse it. There are a lot of them out there and I certainly haven't seen them all. Google maps does this function, but it incredibly wonky to use.

ntsqd said:
Prior to discovering DeLorme Atlas' I used AAA county maps. I still do use the AAA maps on occasion, but I've since nearly abandoned the DeLorme's for Benchmarks. I find them to be superior for how I use a map.

I have yet to find a scrolling map GPS type of program that allows me to draw the planned route before I traverse it. There are a lot of them out there and I certainly haven't seen them all. Google maps does this function, but it incredibly wonky to use.
Gaia does this:
https://help.gaiagps.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003640568-Create-and-Measure-Routes-on-gaiagps-com

But where is the fun in actually knowing where you are going?

They only do it online, not in the app? Why can't we do it in the app? What if I don't have internet access when I need to create a route?

That said, I'll give it a try. Gaia is one of the apps that I have loaded. I just wish that they had more menu functions in the app. Like being able to delete a route and all of it's relevant data in just a couple clicks. I finally found a very un-intuitive, slow method to do that. It imported that data in one simple step, why can't I delete it the same way?
UPDATE: so far Gaia has worked the best. It took me ages to create ~50 miles of route in google maps. Just doubled that in an hour, and a fair amount of that was learning the tools methods.

I usually do know where I'm going unless I don't on purpose. It is those who are following me who want/need the route file.

We just drove through Oregon and from Detroit to Santiam Pass, the Garmin GPS kept trying to send us on some very backcountry FS roads due to the several pilot car stretches where they are cutting hazard trees, clearing powerlines or salvage logging from the fire last year. Easy to see how some people just follow the GPS and end up in bad places.

I am 66 and I refuse to employ our nav system unless I have at least looked at a paper map beforehand and at least generally oriented my brain.

Listening to the truck nav system is enough of a distraction that I cannot keep focused my innate sense of direction and routing.

David Graves

Once I find an area we’re going to explore either by group invite or perusing guide books, my preferences for navigating are:

1. Benchmark Map Books (I also prefer these to DeLorme but I have both),
2. Nat Geo/Tom Harrison Maps,
3. Dual GPS puck connected to an older iPad.

I also “seldom” listen to route directions preferring to pre-plan the trip, including road trips. On road trips I’ll use the talking phone lady once I get close for last minute turn by turn directions. I once almost drove into an irrigation canal somewhere between Bend/Redmond around midnight with a Suburban full of family…thanks OnStar!

DG: X2 on finding the voice nav distracting. I’m also 66 and blame it on that, but my wife thinks it’s because I don’t like having a woman tell me where to go!

Here also,the voice directions are only used for the last bit of travel.
It would drive me,further crazy to have to listen to the voice for a long
period of time.
Give me the non talking maps,please.And forget the mini TV in the dash.
It's enough to keep an eye on the road let alone the "TV" for directions.
Frank

craig333 said:
I curious, with all the tools available to us, maps, gps, compass etc, do you find yourself relying too much on just one method?

P.S. I also have a lot of faith in my ability to choose the right direction just based on intuition. Its pretty good but certainly not infallible.
The answer to the first question, I don't think so. Like others have shared here, we all use a variety of tools and methods. I'm sure Julie and I are a bit more non electronic than most. My old Samsung flip phone does not let me download or use apps, as an example.

Craig, your second statement that I've highlighted above is really the most important point. In the navigation classes we've taught over the decades, I had a list of fun sayings that I'd introduce as the weekend progressed. One was, "Confirm, confirm, confirm."

All this meant was to take the time to stop and make sure you know where you are and where you're going. Partners and team mates should be trained to help confirm. A simple example. Julie and I are hiking up a trail. The map is pulled out. One of us puts a finger on the map and says, "We're here." The other's automatic response is to ask for confirmation. "Why do you think we're 'here'"?

We make it a habit to always consider we could be wrong and therefore take the time to confirm, confirm, confirm.

A couple of the other sayings - It's our habits that save our lives. Never trust your life to something that runs on batteries.

Back
Top Bottom