Maps /grrrr sorta?

craig333

Riley's Human
Maps, I have a love hate relationship with them. I thought the new plastic maps would outlast the paper ones. Unfolded my Plumas NF map on my Antelope Lake trip and it proceeded to disintegrate. I finally remembered to go reorder a new one. They're out of the Plumas NF maps :(

Now being on a map site is a dangerous thing. More and more forests now are putting out Atlas versions.
http://www.nationalforestmapstore.com/product-p/ca-69.htm
Pricey but hey, gotta have one right?

Good thing I've been working a lot of overtime /sigh
Even after deleting half a dozen maps I still spent a ton.

craig333 said:
Maps, I have a love hate relationship with them. I thought the new plastic maps would outlast the paper ones. Unfolded my Plumas NF map on my Antelope Lake trip and it proceeded to disintegrate. I finally remembered to go reorder a new one. They're out of the Plumas NF maps :(

Now being on a map site is a dangerous thing. More and more forests now are putting out Atlas versions.
http://www.nationalforestmapstore.com/product-p/ca-69.htm
Pricey but hey, gotta have one right?

Good thing I've been working a lot of overtime /sigh
Even after deleting half a dozen maps I still spent a ton.
I hate you.

I have half a file cabinet full of maps I’ve collected. I love paper maps for “planning”. I can spend hours dreaming g about places and routes. A computer screen doesn’t work as well

Machinebuilder said:
I hate you.

I have half a file cabinet full of maps I’ve collected. I love paper maps for “planning”. I can spend hours dreaming g about places and routes. A computer screen doesn’t work as well
Cup of coffee + piece of pie + Benchmark Road and Recreation Atlas = fine evening of "planning" (aka daydreaming)

Foy said:
Cup of coffee + piece of pie + Benchmark Road and Recreation Atlas = fine evening of "planning" (aka daydreaming)
Make your plans when it’s cold outside...
When the north winds they to blow
For half the joy of the trip my boy...
Is settin’ your gear to go

Apologies to A.B. Paine for the mangled paraphrase

I just got back from the Outdoor Retailers Show in Denver with a fist full of Nat Geo maps and a wall map of the PCT - would have bought more but I just had one carry on!!

Machinebuilder said:
I hate you.

Yep-ya got that right-no batteries needed! .....and always have lot's of maps in the truck for future planning and just in case an un planned for opportunity (forced or not) come up :)!

Smoke

Smoke

Paper is great.
I save just about any info from camping trips.
I like to share the info while sitting around the site
with fellow campers who want info about other places.
I usually have some to share.
I even have a 1978 Sunset Campground Guide,for
the western states and western Canada.
40 Years old and the info still is useful.
I really like very old maps.
Frank

I'm mad that I didn't look in my Montana and Wyoming Benchmarks maps when I bought them a couplea years ago, but I didn't get up in those areas until last month. Those two maps both have pages missing and out-of-order pages - from the factory! Like they were put together wrong. Grrrr. I was boondocked in Montana and was trying to map out route, and the section I needed wasn't there!

Other than that, I love maps!
I use my trusty Rand McNally a lot, and try to stop at Ranger Stations and pick up Forest Maps.

Back
Top Bottom