March 2010 - The rest of the story - Mojave Preserve

DirtyDog

Captain Leisure
Site Team
So here's that part 2 I promised in addition to my Joshua Tree report. There isn't a whole lot to tell - the weather on the way down was horrendous. I had three nice days in Joshua Tree then it rained so I got a hotel to regroup. I then headed to Mojave Preserve where I had another nice day but that night a wicked storm moved in so I headed home a day early. Here's the proof:

Since no trip would be complete without a visit to a mining town - I hit up Calico on the way to Joshua Tree.

gallery_2_1_216755.jpg

gallery_2_1_84945.jpg

After my stay in Joshua Tree I hit up a hotel in the town of Joshua Tree to get away from the rain for a bit. Usually this wouldn't be worth mentioning but the hotel had a particularly spectacular display of americana that I just had to share:

gallery_2_1_145495.jpg

No, your eyes are not deceiving you. That is an actual painting on black velvet.

OK back to work - Mojave Preserve. First stop: Kelso Dunes

gallery_2_40_265839.jpg

gallery_2_40_180693.jpg

Looked like there was some pretty good primitive camping on the road that fronts the dunes.

I scoped out some Mojave campgrounds on the way - you can check the photos in the Mojave National Preserve part of the site.

Ultimately I decided to camp at Providence Mountains State Recreation Area which is a state park that got swallowed by the preserve. Driving to this was pretty neat as the road just climbs towards the mountain and just disappears. You wonder where the heck you are going. The campground is perched on the edge of the mountain and while its tiny with just 6 spots, it's a really neat spot. Mitchell Caverns are here and I had planned on taking the tour the next day. until the weather turned nasty.

gallery_2_40_44526.jpg

That night a wicked storm moved in and I was awakened by the sound of my new Partner stove being hurled through the air by the wind and crashing on the ground with a sickening thud. The wind that night was the worst I have ever experienced and I thought if anything is going to compromise the pop top on the FWC this is it. But the Hawk held firm and I am again impressed with the durability of these units. As for the stove - the burner unit popped out on impact and part of it bent slightly. I was able to tweak it by hand and the stove is good as new. It's a tough stove (thankfully).

The next day was very cold. It had snowed the night before. One part of the road actually had a drift across it about 6 inches deep. Crazy.

gallery_2_40_77146.jpg

That's enough for this dog. Back home and until next time - happy wandering!

Nice pics DD.

Maybe a Mojave Road run might be a good option for a future Rally?

That might be worth looking into. Have you driven any of that road?

Seems like it would be passable with our rigs. Mojave National Preserve website here says high clearance necessary and 4wd recommended. This offroad sight here rates it a 2 out of 10.

Edit - Oops, sorry Sunman, you were one step ahead of me.

give it a monthj or so DD, it won't be so cold..We went on the mitchel caverns tour, pretty cool. agreed on the campsites, dig 'em, awesome cactus'

I spent the weekend in Afton Canyon. That's a nice place to camp, especially if you like trains.

Talked to some jeeper's that did the Mojave road. Soda dry lake is not so dry and difficult to cross. There are other ways around it.

Back
Top Bottom