Mattress for a 2002 Eagle.

Toddhom

Advanced Member
I have read many posts about mattresses but can't find a discussion about my particular problem. I apologize if this has been covered before. The 2" thick mattresses that came with my circa 2002 Eagle are just too old and too soft. My hips go right through them. When stored these two mattress pads stacked together equal 4" in thickness. Any more thickness and I wouldn't be able to close the top. I can only sleep north to south in my camper as it is not wide enough to accommodate my 6'-2" length. If I could sleep east to west I would just buy a 4" thick mattress and be done with it. As it is I have to pull the sleeping platform out, un-stack the two mattress pads and sleep on them that way. In other words I cannot have foam that is more then 2" thick. I have an Exped Megamat Duo air mattress which is really comfortable but it recently sprung a leak exposing its inherent weakness. Plus I don't like inflating and deflating it every day. Which leads to my question. Has anyone discovered a 2" foam that is comfortable enough for a 200 lb man to sleep on? I've tried toppers and they are way too soft.

Todd Homchick

When I had an older FWC with the same mattress I ended up getting a 1/4inch memory foam topper that was like a thick fitted sheet basically. It wasn’t perfect but it made it so I could sleep on it fairly comfortably. Ultimately the only reason I upgraded to a newer camper after completely rebuilding my old was was the shorter and thinner cab over and the inability to store bedding compared to the new ones

We have a 2006 Hawk. The original mattress was like sleeping on concrete, so I had new ones made. The new ones are 2" high-density foam plus 2" high-quality memory foam, so 4" thick total. One mattress takes up the entire thickness, so I had the second one cut into three pieces ... it's not difficult to store them on the couch when not in use. Hope that helps!

my 2 cents is go to a store that refurbishes furniture upholstery and ask them to replace the foam for foam designed for sleeping. I did that with my old Flip-Pac with a 3 inch thick mattress. What a difference.

Back in the day Four wheel and others bought cheap light foam designed for packing instruments because they didn't know better in part because they weren't sleeping on it. When we bought our 2012 Eagle I replaced the foam first thing.
For the 9 years we had it that mattress was more comfortable than the mattress at home.

We have a 2001 Eagle and have 4" mattress with 2 separate pieces that are 4" so you end up with 3 pieces. 1 piece fits behind on side in front of the window and behind the backrest of the bench seat. The other piece just stays on the bed platform (so there's 2 pieces up top) and I pull the slider out a bit as I lower the front.

I hope that makes sense. I sleep (when solo) at an angle or North to South otherwise

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom