Maxx Fans Installed

badtoytrd

VA...for hopefully a short period of time...with W
One of the projects this spring was to install some new fans. My Fleet had a Fantastic Fan over the bed but one of the things I didn't like about the Fantastic Fan was that when it is raining it is essentially useless. I also wanted to install a fan in the rear vent which to my delight was already wired for a fan. I ended up deciding on a Maxx Fan because of the rain cover and decreased amperage draw. Installation was extremely easy once I removed the old fan, vent, and sealant. The fit and finish is amazing and if you are thinking of a replacing and installing a new fan I would strongly recommend the Maxx Fan. I also added some no see um netting to the screen to really keep the bugs out.

IMG_3725.JPG

IMG_3727.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG

IMG_3729.JPG

Nice job x2!

I replaced our Fantastic Fan with a Maxxaire after someone :ninja: backed the truck into the garage and broke the old fan.
All the fans are a standard size, so it was compatible.

We like the new Maxxaire for it's instant reversing motor and 12 speeds. It's so quiet we left it on all night long without noticing.

Great to know Lighthawk. I look forward to using them this summer. I’m really not sure why they are not standard or at least an option from FWC as the quality seems a tad better. I also like the fact that if if the fan ever breaks I can just remove the fan assembly and don’t have to go through the process of removing sealant again.

I'll be installing fans in the next couple days. The maxxaire fan I got says that if your roof is less than 2" thick, you need to put wood no the inside part of the ceiling to mount the internal plastic piece. I take it you didn't run into this problem?

Thanks...
Jeff

philos65 said:
I'll be installing fans in the next couple days. The maxxaire fan I got says that if your roof is less than 2" thick, you need to put wood no the inside part of the ceiling to mount the internal plastic piece. I take it you didn't run into this problem?

Thanks...
Jeff
No need to add an additional piece of wood....at least in my case.

My FF is new, but a Maxxaire will eventually replace it. Strongly recommend to FWC to offer the Maxxaire as an order option.

Good job. I think it's a good upgrade and wish FWC offered it as an option.

I would.
My FF is within a inch or two of my garage door header so any increase in height would be a no go.

badtoytrd said:
Here are a couple pictures of the fans in the down position. I measured this evening and it looks like the fans stick up about 5.5 inches.

attachicon.gif
IMG_3748.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_3749.JPG
I'm too lazy to measure my MA fan, and no longer can compare it to the Fantastic Fan.
What I do know is that they both, just barely fit, into my garage. They must be fairly similar.
But, I have no measurements to offer, just personal experience. I would guess the MA is less than an inch taller.

When installing Fantastic fans in my new Fleet, years ago, I discovered that the wire colors are reversed between the pre-installed FWC wiring and the fan wires. It didn't seem to hurt the electronics in the remote-control fan and just made the plain fan run backwards. But, I had to take it all apart again to change the connections.

Just a warning...

- Bernard

Sharx said:
I recently went looking for a fan to replace my vent to increase airflow beyond my rear Fantastic Fan. I found this one (below) and when I read your install, I thought someone would have pointed out that they make a rain-sensor fan. Just giving update, nothing more.

http://www.fantasticvent.com/fan-tastic-vent-s-retail-12-volt-fans.html#model3350
Thanks for the useful info. After installing them there is a few things that appear to be better than the FF. 1: You can leave them open in the rain (usually when you need extra ventilation anyway). 2: If the fan fails you can remove the fan without removing sealant. 3: Lower power draw.(high is only draws ~1.5 amps). 4: You can run fan with lid closed. You get all of these features for roughly the same price.

Here is an update on the power consumption. Measurements were taken through Victron battery monitor.

Speed Setting AMPS
MaxxFan Speed 1 0.1
MaxxFan Speed 2 0.16
MaxxFan Speed 3 0.2
MaxxFan Speed 4 0.3
MaxxFan Speed 5 0.4
MaxxFan Speed 6 0.5
MaxxFan Speed 7 0.7
MaxxFan Speed 8 0.9
MaxxFan Speed 9 1.2
MaxxFan Speed 10 1.65

Back