Meandering (slowly) through Idaho last week of May

Durango1

So we'll be driving the Ram/Hawk combo from eastern Oregon through Idaho and eventually ending up in Yellowstone. We've got 4 or 5 days to mess around in Idaho. Even with the low snow pack the FS tells me both Lolo and Magruder will still be closed. So any suggestions on routes, neat boondocking places and wildlife watching? (Sioux is an obsessed birdwatcher.)

We also like funky, unusual ethnic places to eat lunch long the way. Thanks in advance!

Steve

Steve,

As previously noted elsewhere (and here?), if hot springs are the fancy of yourself and Sioux, you can come up US 93 from the Snake River Plain (or down from Missoula) to Gold Bug Hot Springs, just off of US 93 about halfway between Challis and Salmon. It's about a 1 mile hike in (1.5?) and it picks up just over 1,000' elevation, much of it in the last quarter mile. Go as early in the morning as you can, as it starts getting crowded by late morning plus the sun hits it by then, both taking away from an otherwise stellar experience. Got to be some birds around there somewhere, too.

Up in Salmon, there are a number of outfitters and it's a cool hiking/cycling/paddling town, so there MUST be some good eateries.

My GUESS is that Lemhi Pass will be open by late May. It's "only" at about 7,400' so maybe it's open. If not, Bannock Pass should be. It's just under 7,700' but is the crossing of a through-route from Leadore, ID to Dillon, MT.

Over in Dillon is some of the best Mexican fare I've ever had. It's at the Dillon Taco Bus. Located at the north end of Dillon where MT 41 slants away from I-15. There's a large fuel plaza and farm/ranch supply with lots of fishing and camping gear pretty much next to the Taco Bus (Rocky Mountain Supply), so you can get lots of your essentials in one place.

If you cross Lemhi or Bannock pass and want to stay closer to YNP and the ID border, continue on MT 324 to I-15 at Clark Canyon Reservoir or cut south from just east of Grant along the Big Sheep Creek Backcountry Byway. This goes through to Dell, MT about 25 miles north of the ID-MT line on I-15. It stays low so it seems unlikely it'd be closed by snow, although wetness may make it difficult. Either way, head to Lima, MT for an eclectic dining/resupply point which caters to Continental Divide Trail hikers. There are a couple or three cafes in town and the motel offers campsites with electric power.

Check ahead to see if Red Rock Pass is open. If it is, head east from Lima or Monida to run the length of the Centennial Valley to Red Rock Pass. Elevation there just over 7,000' and like Bannock, it's a through-route so seems likely to be open by late May. Just to the north of the grade up to the pass, on the MT side, is Elk Lake Lodge. They're on the Interwebs with what looks like an interesting menu. The Red Rock Lakes NWR is in the heart of the Centennial Valley, as previously discussed.

A drive I'll make one of these days is out Blacktail Creek from Dillon, where it runs +40 miles into and through the Snowcrest Range and ends in the Centennial Valley. If you ended up in Dillon and didn't want to go on I-15 to Lima, you can run out the Blacktail.

I've read that the brother of the Dillon Taco Bus operator has opened a place in Ashton, ID, along the main road from Red Rock Pass to Targhee Pass which then takes you to Jackson, WY just south of YNP.

Foy

Thanks, Foy! I've devoured your other posts on Idaho and yes, I've printed out the suggestions on Red Rocks which is on our list.

Steve

If you are entering Yellowstone from the west entrance, check out Both upper and lower Mesa Falls. There is a campground at the lower falls. Also, Harriman State Park is north of there and features the vacation home compound of the Harriman family (W Averill Harriman sp? This is a beautiful area that we spent some time in last fall.

Steve there is a nice quiet small campground just west of Hebgen Lk.Montana on hwy.287.
I checked the web cam for Lolo Pass and it has been clear and open.
I think some of the campgrounds near the Powell area are open.We stayed at the 2 nearest Powell.Right on the river.
Enjoy your trip.
We leave for Yellowstone next Tuesday.Hope to spend at least a week there.
Frank

Thanks for the ideas, folks. I finish up working here in Portland Friday and we start our "odyssey" back to Colorado Saturday. More suggestions always welcome!

Steve

Back
Top Bottom