Mechanic recommendation near Jackson WY?

TravelAmateurs

Advanced Member
After miles of CO forest roads and some offroading to find a camping spot overlooking the Grand Tetons I decided to do a quick inspection on the 06 Tundra. Wasn't expecting to find the passenger side CV boot puking grease. :-/

Junked our other bottle jack a while back so I'm down to the stock one and don't feel like jacking it up (with the Hawk on the back) in a parking lot so I'm looking for a good shop near Jackson WY. Any suggestions?

We also sent the Jackson Hole FWC a facebook message so we'll see if they know someone.

Trip on hold....time for a beer.

On the west side of the Tetons in Teton Valley Idaho:
Teton Valley Auto Repair
420 Lupin Lane
Victor ID 83455
208-787-2874

Call Denny.

He should know of someone good in town.

I just replaced both my front 1/2 axels/shafts on my 2005 Tundra.

Pretty easy once I got the big axel bolt off for each side.

New shafts pop out and pop back in easy enough with a little extra banging.

idahoron said:
What happened to the 05 Stan?
My '05 had a boot leak, they are 10 years old. I found it just before my trip to the east coast. Had the dealer change it (1/2 shaft and joints) out for $300.00 had to spend $$ to save time.

Thanks for the responses guys. Denny replied to our facebook message and linked us up with Able Auto in Jackson. We "stealth" camped with the top down on a side street to avoid driving any further and they were able to get us into the shop this morning.

Some research found that this was relatively common for Tundras with Bilstein 5100s. The stock boot clamps don't hold well against the increased height/stretch...especially when that wheel ends up off the ground while climbing a pass meant for locking diffs. Long story short the boot stretched, the clamp gave, the wheel spun, the grease flung out the end.

Explaned the situation to Able auto and they were able to refill the boot with CV grease and put on better boot clamps all around.

Unfortunately when I got to our campsite in Yellowstone I found that one of the new clamps had busted completely off slinging that new grease everywhere. Not faulting Able Auto..they were very helpful. Just my luck.

.I cleaned up the grease and used a worm drive clamp I had left over from my water filtration install to reclamp the boot. Will be searching for another pack of CV grease and better clamps tomorrow.

Something tells me Ill be replacing these axles before long. Maybe Stan will install them for me when we pass by Woodland...jk.

idahoron said:
What happened to the 05 Stan?

I have a 2005 Access Cab, 4x4 TRD, approaching 150,000 miles. It was just time to replace Both 1/2 shafts instead of trying to repair the cracked cv boots. New (not rebuilt) they were only $85 per side at Napa Auto. Just be prepare to cuss & curse a little, lol. All in all, not too hard, 4 or 5 hours if you dont break anything else during the replacement process. :)

Back
Top Bottom