Medano Pass

XJINTX

Hey fellow campers I have a question about Medano Pass. My wife and I are leaving on a trip in a few weeks and I want her to see Great Sand Dunes Natl Park. I have been before but in a pretty capable 4X4. My question is, as I don't remember, will my Superduty with FWC be able to make the pass? Are there any tight areas? I seem to remember seeing a full size or two on the trail?

Thanks,

I was trying to figure out the same thing when I was there! The ranger station seemed to think it was a somewhat difficult stretch at least the sandy lower area but that was probably a blanket statement. IIRC there are camp sites along the way. We ended up staying at Zapata one night and in the park the next.

I have driven that route a couple of times but only in the fall. The road isn't that bad but in the spring and early summer the creek crossings could be a problem and road can washout and be closed/gated near the picnic area in the NP. The road is narrow (expect some brush pin stripping) steep at the top and possibly deep water crossings plus deep sand in the NP...but I had no problems with my 4x4 2500 crewcab and Hawk...in the FALL.

Beautiful area and I don't recall meeting a single other vehicle once out of the NP. Check with NP to be sure it is open through the park. For more info: http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php?id=53

Also the pass is steep and at 10,300' it still may be covered in snow?
On edit, there may be downed trees and a chain saw could come in handy. My bow saw and me got a workout in one spot.

OK and SORRY but another question for those of you experienced with Yellowstone or just bear country. I see on the map I have that some campsites are labeled HARDSIDE CAMPERS ONLY. May I assume that our FWC's may fit this bill? I don't really plan on these areas to camp but may not have a choice.

I think the only restricted campground in Yellowstone is, Fishing Village RV park. That is exactly what it is " an RV park". It's not restricted due to bears but it's just not for anything but large motor homes and huge truck campers.
We have used all but 2 CGs in the park and had no problems. Grant is still closed due to the bears in that area,but that is that way every year.They just open later due to them.
Getting a "spot" at some of the CGs can be hard like the "FCFS" Pebble Creek and Slough Creek CG.
They are very nice and out of the way so get filled early in the day ,sometimes by 8am there are campers waiting to get a spot that will be vacant.

You can check at the check in spot for the camp you are at and see what time the different camps were filled the prior day.
If you want to camp at Pebble or Slough you can work your way there by camping at the closer camps that don't fill as early.
Than break camp early and head to the one you want to stay at and if there isn't a spot you can usually get back to the spot you had the night before and try again the next day.

Also depends on time of year spring/fall are usually easier to find spots.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom