memory foam topper for the hawk

4Wheel

What is the maximum thickness of a memory foam topper for use on top of the mattress in a 4wheel Hawk?

What is the maximum thickness of a memory foam topper for use on top of the mattress in a 4wheel Hawk?

If you mean the 4" factory mattress, 2" or 3". I replaced the factory mattress with a 7" memory foam mattress and have no problem closing the top.

If you mean the 4" factory mattress, 2" or 3". I replaced the factory mattress with a 7" memory foam mattress and have no problem closing the top.

OK great. We are looking at a 2-1/2" foam on the 4" factory mattress, so it looks like it would work. Thank you so much. Has anyone else had luck with a topper? Is it a lot more comfortable?

We have taken a slightly different approach.

It only took a couple of nights in the new Grandby to realize something had to be done. However, we wanted the mattress to stay in the original factory covering. We took the factory mattress to our local foam supplier, explained the problem, and asked for help. After test driving a bunch of combinations, we decided to get them to slice 3" of the original foam off and glue on 3" of new memory foam. If feels as good as our home mattress (from the same folks) and stays within the factory liner.

Seems very comfortable but I'll reserve final comment for the end of the first long trip :oops:

White Dog,

May I ask how much the modification cost? I ask because I am considering the The Therm a rest Dream Time to replace ... and get the added bonus of using it for other purposes.

White Dog - I'm also interested in more details. Is there a specific name for the type of foam you used?

Slicing off an inch of the existing foam and gluing on 3" of memory foam was $329 CAD. I suspect prices would be cheaper in the States. They always are. We decided on 3" of 'Venus' foam because that is what my wife found comfortable. However, she has back and knee problems so she is rightfully a bit fussy. If it was just me, I would have gone with 2" which would have been about $250.

We used a company here in Winnipeg called Foam Solutions and a product they called 'Venus'. We also ended up with the sliced off layers which will get used in some other project.

My topper is either 1 1/2" or 2", and I have to say it makes a world of difference. From concrete to comfort.

My topper is either 1 1/2" or 2", and I have to say it makes a world of difference. From concrete to comfort.

What did you use for a topper, Jcfly?

Another question White Dog - you say you kept the factory coverings and have 3" of the original foam plus 3" of memory foam. My 2012 FWC only has 4" thick cushions. Are yours thicker, or did you have to compress the 6" of foam that you have in order to stuff them into the coverings?

I found a source that has 1", 2", and 3" latex foam toppers and 2", 3" and 4" memory foam toppers.

Its mail order so I can't check these out. I'll give them a call on Monday, but what are the groups thoughts on one of these combinations?
4" of memory foam?
2" of medium latex and 2" of memory foam?
1" of medium latex and 3" of memory foam?

What did you use for a topper, Jcfly?

LH: It's memory foam purchased from an overstock website.

Another question White Dog - you say you kept the factory coverings and have 3" of the original foam plus 3" of memory foam. My 2012 FWC only has 4" thick cushions. Are yours thicker, or did you have to compress the 6" of foam that you have in order to stuff them into the coverings?

I found a source that has 1", 2", and 3" latex foam toppers and 2", 3" and 4" memory foam toppers.

Its mail order so I can't check these out. I'll give them a call on Monday, but what are the groups thoughts on one of these combinations?
4" of memory foam?
2" of medium latex and 2" of memory foam?
1" of medium latex and 3" of memory foam?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear :oops:

We had Foam Solutions cut 1" off the original foam that came with our FWC. They glued 3" of memory foam on top of this 1" base, bring us back to a total of 4". The left over pieces are 3" thick.

Back
Top Bottom