Merry Christmas to Me

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Thank you, Santa Mark! :p

Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame DS-XL (exclusively from AirKayaks.com)
Aqua-Bound Eagle Ray Carbon Posi-Lok 4-Piece Kayak Paddle
Astral Designs Ronny PFD Life Vest

Kayak-5779.jpg

Kayak-5782.jpg

Kayak-5785.jpg

Kayak-5787.jpg

You. Must have been a very good boy!
I'll be interested in your review when you get a chance to try it out.
We've been thinking of getting some inflatables to take with us truck camping..

My inspiration for getting this craft is my plan to explore "bayou country" -- inland waters of the Southeast -- next year. But it will also work fine on the lakes of the Cascades Lakes Scenic Byway, in my own county.
I wish I'd had it when Ted and I explored Baja in 2015 -- would have been fun on the Sea of Cortez. Maybe next time...

I have no experience with kayak nor canoe... My only experience with self-propelled water-craft was in whitewater rafting, which I did quite a bit in the distant past.

It took me 10 minutes to inflate (with the included pump)...after I figured it out.
I haven't tried to deflate and repack it yet.

Nice "gift". We have the 2 person version with the "hard" inner bottom.
We have only used it a few times though.

We went with the inflatable from our great canoe due to the factor of lifting it onto the roof of
the camper.We felt that if we hurt ourselves while out on a trip that wouldn't be good.

Where are you going to carry it? I have tried inside the camper which works but I liked the space for other
uses. Now I am leaning to carrying it back where it started in the rear seat area. I think now I will have to stand it up and
maybe lose some view out the rear window.

They are nice,very well made and once you figure out the sequence of inflation it goes quickly.

Enjoy Santa's gift.
Frank

Frank, the model I got also has the hard/rigid "drop-stitch floor". From reviews and videos I've seen, seems like a worthwhile addition.

I like the fact that I don't have to carry something on the roof of my camper... and for local paddling (or minimalist road trips) I can even carry the whole setup in my little Hyundai Accent -- at 3 times the gas mileage of my truck!.

Where will I carry it in my truck/camper? I guess behind the truck seat. I'm alone in my rig 99% of the time, so I can afford the space.

That's the Ticket!

You should enjoy it. You might want to get the electric high volume 12v air pump and save the your back on the manual one.

Be safe and paddle swiftly

Merry Christmas
Bud

MarkBC said:
Frank, the model I got also has the hard/rigid "drop-stitch floor". From reviews and videos I've seen, seems like a worthwhile addition.

I like the fact that I don't have to carry something on the roof of my camper... and for local paddling (or minimalist road trips) I can even carry the whole setup in my little Hyundai Accent -- at 3 times the gas mileage of my truck!.

Where will I carry it in my truck/camper? I guess behind the truck seat. I'm alone in my rig 99% of the time, so I can afford the space.
I've got DSXL and the Expedition. I carry mine behind the drivers seat. The Expedition only weighs 7 lbs more but I really feel the difference pulling it out of the truck and portaging to the shore. I find myself using the DSXL much more than the Expedition although it's slower and doesn't track quite as well. Enjoy your Christmas present!!

Ronin said:
I've got DSXL and the Expedition. I carry mine behind the drivers seat. The Expedition only weighs 7 lbs more but I really feel the difference pulling it out of the truck and portaging to the shore. I find myself using the DSXL much more than the Expedition although it's slower and doesn't track quite as well. Enjoy your Christmas present!!
Ronin, do you mean this "Expedition"? I was considering that one as much as the one I ended up getting. I liked the fact that it has more storage space for gear if/when I do overnight tours.

I decided on the DS-XL because I decided I will be doing very little overnight, so I don't need the extra storage space. Locally I think I'll never paddle somewhere for overnight... I do plan/hope to do a little overnight when I explore the waters of the USA Southeast, but it will still be just a little. And I've seen videos of people with AdvancedFrame kayaks with a lot of gear lashed to the deck. A friend who has the AdvancedFrame AE1012 tells me it's very stable, tells me that I should be able to carry gear (not a lot -- a reasonable amount) on the deck without fear.
So...since the Expedition is heavier and more expensive I decided on the AdvancedFrame AE1044
DS-XL.

For anyone who's interested in this model and sibling models:

The boat I got, the AdvancedFrame AE1044DS-XL, is an Advanced Elements boat but a model made to specs requested by AirKayaks and only available from AirKayaks. Basically, it's the AdvancedFrame AE1012, but 5 inches longer, and it comes with the Drop-Stich floor as standard and includes the AE airpump (with pressure gauge).

Before I made the purchase, I talked to "Chuck" co-owner of AirKayaks. He told me that the AE1012 is a little short for his 6'2" body, but he fits well in the 1044DS-XL -- which is why he requested the longer design. Apparently, AirKayaks was one of the first dealers to carry Advanced Elements Kayaks.

MarkBC said:

Mark that "drop stitch floor" is great makes the kayak nice and ridged.
I felt it was also worth the extra.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Mark that "drop stitch floor" is great makes the kayak nice and ridged.
I felt it was also worth the extra.
Frank
Frank, so you have one of these? How is it vs other kayaks you might have tried?

Vic Harder said:
Frank, so you have one of these? How is it vs other kayaks you might have tried?
Vic I havn't tried other kayaks.We went from our 13' Old Town canoe to the kayak.
Our reason,our age and not wanting to hurt ourselves.I actually like the canoe but
it becomes a problem with the camper. Most of the time when we carried along it just went for a ride.
Only used a couple times out camping.
When we carried it on the SUV top we used it more often.

I like the idea of the inflatable kayak,one reason I don't have to "advertise" that we have a boat along.
Many states now make you stop for inspections and charge a fee even if you are just passing through.

I understand the need for the inspections but it becomes a pain..Now we only plan to carry it if we are going to use it for sure.

Sorry about the "long" answer.Ours is the two person version like Marks.Works great on the small lakes we would only use it on.
It's a real convenience. Fits our needs. There's some photos of it in my blog,some of the older ones.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom