Merry Christmas to Me

MarkBC said:
Ronin, do you mean this "Expedition"? I was considering that one as much as the one I ended up getting. I liked the fact that it has more storage space for gear if/when I do overnight tours.

I decided on the DS-XL because I decided I will be doing very little overnight, so I don't need the extra storage space. Locally I think I'll never paddle somewhere for overnight... I do plan/hope to do a little overnight when I explore the waters of the USA Southeast, but it will still be just a little. And I've seen videos of people with AdvancedFrame kayaks with a lot of gear lashed to the deck. A friend who has the AdvancedFrame AE1012 tells me it's very stable, tells me that I should be able to carry gear (not a lot -- a reasonable amount) on the deck without fear.
So...since the Expedition is heavier and more expensive I decided on the AdvancedFrame AE1044
DS-XL.
Yes- that's the Expedition I have. The main reason for buying it was the 13' length which provides better tracking and is much faster. Like I said I find myself more inclined to pack the shorter boat because of weight and also packs down smaller. For overnighters or weekends close to home I prefer to take my 12' hard shell (without the camper) because there's much more storage space and the paddling is more efficient .Either way AE IKs are bomber and I know you'll spend many happy hours on the water!!

Ronin said:
...Either way AE IKs are bomber and I know you'll spend many happy hours on the water!!
Thanks for the encouragement, Ronin. :)

I figure that if I really like the boating experience but I want higher performance I can get a hard shell boat in the future.
But I'll still have a use for this boat. Unlike a hard-shell, I can check it as baggage on a plane... maybe fly into Iquitos, Peru, for a descent of the Amazon... :unsure: :eek:
I wonder if these boats are resistant to caiman bites? Piranha bites?
:p

OK, this week I've finally used this craft for the reason that inspired its purchase: paddling, exploring, Southern waters!

The first 2 are on Jones Lake in southeast North Carolina.
IMG_20191024_221629.jpg IMG_20191024_221737.jpg

This one was in a marshy backwater of the White Oak River near its mouth on the Atlantic Ocean, North Carolina.
IMG_20191021_160909.jpg
I saw a dolphin a couple hundred yards from here! :O

Still to come will be deep dark swamps, bayou...as I travel further south.

Happy sailing Mark! Deep dark swamps, hmmm., all that high desert desert training any help out there :cautious: ? Hey--- If you see any water buffalo better turn around fast!

Smoke

MarkBC said:
OK, this week I've finally used this craft for the reason that inspired its purchase: paddling, exploring, Southern waters!

The first 2 are on Jones Lake in southeast North Carolina.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20191024_221629.jpg
attachicon.gif
IMG_20191024_221737.jpg

This one was in a marshy backwater of the White Oak River near its mouth on the Atlantic Ocean, North Carolina.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20191021_160909.jpg
I saw a dolphin a couple hundred yards from here! :eek:

Still to come will be deep dark swamps, bayou...as I travel further south.
Great use for that kayak.
Happy sailing or is it paddling.
Frank

Interesting kayak. Your impressions from your trial runs....performed well>... ease of breakdown and assembly? Sure looks sleek and trim. I am a canoe guy but my wife likes the double blades. Might be a good idea for travel w/o having to have a boat own the roof!
Have fun!

buckland said:
Interesting kayak. Your impressions from your trial runs....performed well>... ease of breakdown and assembly? Sure looks sleek and trim. I am a canoe guy but my wife likes the double blades. Might be a good idea for travel w/o having to have a boat own the roof!
Have fun!
I've never had a regular hardshell kayak, but this inflatable works well for me.
Inflation, set up, is easy - deflation is easier and quicker.
Yeah, I like that I don't need to carry it on the roof of my camper... And more than that, I can easily carry it inside my little Hyundai Accent for boating when not camping. (My paddle breaks down into 4 sections, so it's packable, too)

I assume that a hardshell would be at least somewhat more efficient, better performing... But I like the convenience.

Wait till you spring a leak. Multiple compartments mean you aren't likely to drown but still its a bit disconcerting.

It's been almost 6 months since I used my inflatable kayak on my big tour of Southern Slack Water. I'm now considering getting a different kind of kayak, so I figured I could make a couple of comments about this kayak.

I like it. Using it convinced me that I like kayaking (at least, on the kind of water I paddled last fall). I'll use it again and enjoy it.
Just two drawbacks of this inflatable -- for me -- based on my use of it.:
  1. There's less internal cargo space than a hardshell kayak of similar length and beam. That's because the hull is fat with air -- required to make the boat rigid -- and that thick hull reduces open space inside. This is a drawback if I want to carry overnight gear...and one other drawback -- for me -- see 2.
  2. Size 13 feet don't fit comfortably inside. On the floor of this boat is an inflatable chamber similar to a small inflatable surfboard or paddle board. This adds to the boats rigidity -- a good thing. But the downside is the distance between the top of this internal board and the underside of the deck is too short for my size 13 feet. I have to turn them semi-sideways...but even that isn't perfect because the sides of the hull are close -- see 1. above. The situation is tolerable -- I still liked paddling in the boat -- but it's a definite downside for me. After a while I had to pull my knees up to give my twisted feet a break.
I'm sure that a hardshell boat would be more efficient paddling, but since I've never paddled one I can't report on that.

Mark, my 2¢... I think you will enjoy a hard shell kayak (or maybe a good skin on frame) much more than an inflatable. In general, they’re faster, track far better, ‘can be’ more comfortable, and give you better load capacity. You could either go with a traditional kayak, or one that is more open, like a decked canoe.

if you do, I’d recommend not getting a roto-mold boat. They’re heavy and slippery. My preference is a glass or composite boat. Adjustable foot braces are a must in my book, possibly an optional rudder If it tracks like it’s on rails. Try the boat before you buy. Get an hour or two in the seat to determine if it is comfortable and does what you want.

I don’t have any recommendations for a hard shell boat, but if you go skin on frame (advantage is it breaks down into several bags, disadvantage is weight and assembly/disassembly) I like Long Haul and Klepper. Long Haul frequently offers reconditioned single kayaks (usually Kleppers) for sale (sometimes for sail, too :p ).

Diana and I have fiberglass touring singles. My boat is a 17’ Nimbus Seafarer, Diana’s is a 14’ Necky Arluk IV. You can typically pick up used touring boats at a reasonable price.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom