Micro Trip Report for a Micro Trip - Maiden Voyage in the Bobcat Pop-Up

shoestring

Advanced Member
[SIZE=12pt]We finally received our Bobcat on Friday. Super stoked with how it turned out - Marty and his team did a great job on the custom build out of the shell - I will post some pictures of the slide-out twin bed/table set-up & u-shaped couch at some point in the ATC thread.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]On Saturday, I did a local trail run in the morning and Mrs. Shoestring did a local mountain bike ride in the afternoon. We then packed up the Bobcat and headed north to the Lakes Basin, about an hour drive from Truckee. We arrived around 5:30ish, giving us enough time to get situated and have a nice happy hour by Snag Lake. We ate a quick simple dinner of Mac and Cheese with Tuna and sauteed veggies (we which we pre-cooked at home for simplicity sake), and then settled in for the night. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]
We all enjoyed a nice sunset, and our son was really into the moon and stars...as we haven't figured out his bed situation yet (i.e., how to keep an active infant contained), we all slept together in the big bed...not the best night sleep, but not the worst either. Most importantly, the bed itself is very comfortable.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]In the a.m., I dropped my wife off at the PCT trailhead near Bassets, and she ran to Jackson Meadows (close to the where the WTW rally will be in October). Got in a short walk on the PCT when I picked her up...my son's first venture onto the PCT.

We are all just happy to have our first trip behind us and look forward to many, many more.
[/SIZE]

shoestring said:
[SIZE=12pt]We finally received our Bobcat on Friday. Super stoked with how it turned out - Marty and his team did a great job on the custom build out of the shell - I will post some pictures of the slide-out twin bed/table set-up & u-shaped couch at some point in the ATC thread.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]On Saturday, I did a local trail run in the morning and Mrs. Shoestring did a local mountain bike ride in the afternoon. We then packed up the Bobcat and headed north to the Lakes Basin, about an hour drive from Truckee. We arrived around 5:30ish, giving us enough time to get situated and have a nice happy hour by Snag Lake. We ate a quick simple dinner of Mac and Cheese with Tuna and sauteed veggies (we which we pre-cooked at home for simplicity sake), and then settled in for the night. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]
We all enjoyed a nice sunset, and our son was really into the moon and stars...as we haven't figured out his bed situation yet (i.e., how to keep an active infant contained), we all slept together in the big bed...not the best night sleep, but not the worst either. Most importantly, the bed itself is very comfortable.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]In the a.m., I dropped my wife off at the PCT trailhead near Bassets, and she ran to Jackson Meadows (close to the where the WTW rally will be in October). Got in a short walk on the PCT when I picked her up...my son's first venture onto the PCT.

We are all just happy to have our first trip behind us and look forward to many, many more.
[/SIZE]
Nice report.

Congrats on your new camper! Looks like your family knows how to have fun! We look forward to many more trip reports. Thanks!

Congrats on the camper and first trip Shoestring! Its great to see young families out and about. We took our daughter on her first camping trip 3 months ago when she was 7 months old. I thought for days on the best place for her to sleep. This was the best solution I came up with. A mat from a pack n play over the rollover couch with backrest at 90 degrees. This is no longer an option since she is a lot more mobile.

That night she woke a few times during the night and wouldn't go back to sleep so she ended up sleeping with my wife on the top and while I slept on the rollover couch.

super doody said:
Congrats on the camper and first trip Shoestring! Its great to see young families out and about. We took our daughter on her first camping trip 3 months ago when she was 7 months old. I thought for days on the best place for her to sleep. This was the best solution I came up with. A mat from a pack n play over the rollover couch with backrest at 90 degrees. This is no longer an option since she is a lot more mobile.

That night she woke a few times during the night and wouldn't go back to sleep so she ended up sleeping with my wife on the top and while I slept on the rollover couch.
Nice - yeah, our little guy to too mobil too - we are hoping to either use a small pack n play in the open space on the floor or come up with a gate type thing for the twin bed that we have under the top bed - main issue is that we don't want to be drilling, etc., to solve a problem that will be ever changing...

longhorn1 said:
Congrats on your new camper. Taking our new FWC Grandby on our break-in trip 8/15.
Congrats on yours too! Good luck with the break-in trip!

shoestring said:
Nice - yeah, our little guy to too mobil too - we are hoping to either use a small pack n play in the open space on the floor or come up with a gate type thing for the twin bed that we have under the top bed - main issue is that we don't want to be drilling, etc., to solve a problem that will be ever changing...
We couldn't find a pack n play narrow enough to fit in the open area. If you find one, please share. :D

Congrats also on the new camper. Aren't the lakes in that area awesome. We camped at Goose lake a few years ago. We wanted to return on the trip we just came home from but thought the smoke would be to much.
Great to have the family along and starting off at a young age. That's the way to go.
Will check out your camper on the ATC page.
Frank

bit of a thread drift at this point, but the peapod worked great this weekend...

Back
Top Bottom