Migrating Mule Deer Deaths in California's High Sierra

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
The winter of 2016/2017 piled epic amounts of snow in the Sierra Nevada Range. Snowfields persisted through the summer and remained at the beginnings of last winter. I had heard stories of this event and just now found an internet post -

Migrating Mule Deer Deaths in the High Sierra

It is hard to look at but Mother Nature plays rough now and then. This caught my interest because I am familiar with the area.

Don't bother with reading the comments after the article, not worth your time.

I saw these photos and others days after it was first reported. It is a sad event, but nature is nature. As a bowhunter, I can tell you the CDFG drastically reduced the number of deer tags for this and the surrounding area for 2018. Whether it is directly related or not is unknown, but it certainly appears that Fish and Game does consider these unfortunate events into their herd management programs.

cwd

I'd been warned about this on my way up the other side of Bishop Pass earlier this week, kind of a sad ending for an otherwise wonderful trip (Piute Pass, Evolution Valley, Muir Pass, Dusy Basin and Bishop Pass).

The CCC crews working hard on the trail (Thanks Guys and Gals!!!) had a different explanation than the article however. They told of a probably chase, with the animals winding up at the top of the cliff which led to an avalanche. Either way, like Frank states, nature is in control.

Back
Top Bottom